Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recapturing childhood - not just for the *B

Default Recapturing childhood - not just for the *B

I guess this is off-topic enough to belong here, but when I saw this I thought of *B's and generally anyone who wants to recapture their childhood (which I think is a lot of people, honestly).

Beautiful video, just have a look. Enjoy.

YouTube - Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla

(Hoppipolla means 'jump into puddles' in Icelandic)

Ya, I love that video. Sigur Ros has some great vids. I notice they have a lot of kids in their music videos. Seems to fit with their reflective music.

Some highlights:
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZtT4Th9Ys
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_MJAOyOeU

If I grow up, I want to be in a deranged gang of vandaltastic senior citizens too. All of their shennanigans and experiences have encouraged me, especially at like 2:35 of the video.

Also, video brings up a good point. Doesn't matter how old you are, anyone can jump in puddles. Except elephants. They cannot.
    Last edited by Slang; 08-Jan-2010 at 05:53.

I feel like I missed out because I didn't do any of that. I did play a lot of games with neibor kids and had a lot of fun, but I never did any of the shennanigans like shoplift or have wars. Didn't have the "first kiss" either. Well, at least I know I'll be like that when I'm older.

Quote Originally Posted by austin.db View Post
    Ya, I love that video. Sigur Ros has some great vids. I notice they have a lot of kids in their music videos. Seems to fit with their reflective music.

Some highlights:
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZtT4Th9Ys
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_MJAOyOeU
    Thanks for sharing. The first video (Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa) was... wow, nice twist after the winning goal. Awesome. The landscape on the second is just breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    I feel like I missed out because I didn't do any of that. I did play a lot of games with neibor kids and had a lot of fun, but I never did any of the shennanigans like shoplift or have wars. Didn't have the "first kiss" either. Well, at least I know I'll be like that when I'm older.
    I didn't do a lot of that either, but I think it's more the spirit of being young (or old) and just going out to have aimless and creative fun. Doesn't matter the what the exact activity is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    I didn't do a lot of that either, but I think it's more the spirit of being young (or old) and just going out to have aimless and creative fun. Doesn't matter the what the exact activity is.
    I did do that. I was the kid in my neiborhood to invent ball tag, which was one of our favorite games ever. It's like tag, but you have to hit the other person with a ball to get him it. It was great!

Another thing you can do if you feel you've "missed" out on that fun part of your childhood is get involved in child care. I work at the Boys & Girls Club and I spend all day playing the games I loved as a kid. They're still fun!

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    I did do that. I was the kid in my neiborhood to invent ball tag, which was one of our favorite games ever. It's like tag, but you have to hit the other person with a ball to get him it. It was great!
    Sweet . I did a lot of that, too--making up crazy, unique games. I ended up being the one everyone would turn to when the question was 'what should we do now?'

Quote Originally Posted by austin.db View Post
    Another thing you can do if you feel you've "missed" out on that fun part of your childhood is get involved in child care. I work at the Boys & Girls Club and I spend all day playing the games I loved as a kid. They're still fun!
    Not a bad idea. Do you volunteer (like Big Brothers/Big Sisters) or are you paid (like a camp counselor)?

I kind of lucked out in getting an 'extended childhood' because the two cousins I spend the most time with are 5 and 7 years younger than me, so while they were still little kids, I got the job (way fun job) of entertaining them and keeping them from bothering the adults. They're teenagers now, so they've unfortunately (but expectedly) outgrown the 'lets run around and play crazy games' age and are more into the 'texting and boyfriends' age, lol. A favorite quote from the youngest, when she was maybe 8-10: "you're more of a kid than we are!" I'm not sure what precipitated the comment (neither of them know about my *B side, and I'd rather keep it that way), but I was amused by how right she was.

Beautifull video indeed. I would give it 5 stars if i could.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Not a bad idea. Do you volunteer (like Big Brothers/Big Sisters) or are you paid (like a camp counselor)?

I kind of lucked out in getting an 'extended childhood' because the two cousins I spend the most time with are 5 and 7 years younger than me, so while they were still little kids, I got the job (way fun job) of entertaining them and keeping them from bothering the adults. They're teenagers now, so they've unfortunately (but expectedly) outgrown the 'lets run around and play crazy games' age and are more into the 'texting and boyfriends' age, lol. A favorite quote from the youngest, when she was maybe 8-10: "you're more of a kid than we are!" I'm not sure what precipitated the comment (neither of them know about my *B side, and I'd rather keep it that way), but I was amused by how right she was.
    I am a paid employee. I've been in child care for a long time and I'm going into teaching, so it is good experience. I mostly work with the kids who are into "texting and boyfriends" (translated: gossip and crying! My most important supply is tissue!). 6th and 7th graders. But a part of every day I'm with the youngsters and I really have fun with them. I'm probably a lot like you. The kids are always saying I'm more of a kid than they are. They have no idea... lol.