View Poll Results: What do you think about camaras in your school.

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like The idea very much.

4 11.43%
  • Hell no. Camaras in school is stupid.

13 37.14%
  • I really don't care if camaras are in my school.

18 51.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cameras in School?

Default Cameras in School?

Our school got camaras durring our break. Personaly I think its a little stupid becuse of the places there at are not where all the stealing is but it is going to help a little. But do any of you guys have camaras in your school? And whats your opinion on it?

GaashaHuzzah

Security cameras?

Cuz my spanish teaher got two flip videos, she's planning on recording us for the oral part of the finals >.<

Mine has them, but not where the stealing happens. I personally think there should be some at the entrances of the gym changing rooms.

Two kids got caught having sex in a empty hallway during a class period.. Or a stairwell .. I think. I don't know the full story. I think it's a good idea. It's not like I'm hiding anything. So I don't really care if there's a video of me walking in the hallway.

MXmadman

It's really not going to be much of a problem for the people who don't have anything to hide, so I have no problem with the idea.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by MXmadman View Post
    It's really not going to be much of a problem for the people who don't have anything to hide, so I have no problem with the idea.
    That's exactly the wrong mindset when approaching the idea of surveiling and controling groups of people. It'll essentially give the government free reign to set up any measures of surveillance they like, and in no time flat we'll turn into countries like China or Iran, where any deviant ideas will be struck down with violence, and that only works if you spy on people as much as you can. Read George Orwell's "1984" and you'll understand.
    Freedom is something we all want and believe in, but I'm afraid it comes with a price: Compromises on safety! If freedom breeds new ideas and progress, it also breeds crime and destruction, while total control over a population ensures safety, but also stagnation.
    In the light of that argument, I can understand the intrusive security measures at airports, where innocent lives and an important part of our society's mobility depend on finding those terrorists with their bombs. Setting up cameras to catch people urinating publicly or throwing empty cigarrette boxes on the street and similar petty crimes is way over the line as you're fighting nuisances with severe intrusion on people's privacy.
    Besides, students should learn to defend and protect themselves, and a school environment of total control lulls them into a false sense of security and makes them think someone else will take care of their safety...until they get out into the real world and find it's a cruel place.

If there's stealing in school, try a simple solution: Leave valuables at home! Take keys, a few dollars/Euros and your books...what more could you need at school?!

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    If there's stealing in school, try a simple solution: Leave valuables at home! Take keys, a few dollars/Euros and your books...what more could you need at school?!
    Peachy
    Some of use practically live at school o.O
    My school starts at 7:35am but I don't get out till like 6 p.m cause of theatre. yay being a crew head T.T Even *if* I do take something expensive like my camera for taking pictures or my airbrush, etc. I make sure to leave it in my personal theatre staff lockers we have, or it goes into my tech directors office where it is locked up.

Last year we had a big issue with a thief stealing from the theatre department. No body ever figured out who it was but they seemed to have graduate last year or at least stopped.

We also have a problem with band kids stealing our equipment, now everyday we have to take the time to go back and make sure *everything* is locked , covered and put away. I would love to find out who was taking our stuff, or playing with our expensive equipment!

Cameras in school is a bad idea. Public schools are enough of a police state the way things stand, where the teachers can openly humiliate and verbally / emotionally abuse the students as much as they please and face minimal reproach - at least, that was what my experience in public school was like.

Adding cameras to that equation would be like tossing a can of gasoline into a bonfire that is already threatening to burn the educational system down.

MXmadman

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    That's exactly the wrong mindset when approaching the idea of surveiling and controling groups of people. It'll essentially give the government free reign to set up any measures of surveillance they like, and in no time flat we'll turn into countries like China or Iran, where any deviant ideas will be struck down with violence, and that only works if you spy on people as much as you can. Read George Orwell's "1984" and you'll understand.
    Freedom is something we all want and believe in, but I'm afraid it comes with a price: Compromises on safety! If freedom breeds new ideas and progress, it also breeds crime and destruction, while total control over a population ensures safety, but also stagnation.
    In the light of that argument, I can understand the intrusive security measures at airports, where innocent lives and an important part of our society's mobility depend on finding those terrorists with their bombs. Setting up cameras to catch people urinating publicly or throwing empty cigarrette boxes on the street and similar petty crimes is way over the line as you're fighting nuisances with severe intrusion on people's privacy.
    Besides, students should learn to defend and protect themselves, and a school environment of total control lulls them into a false sense of security and makes them think someone else will take care of their safety...until they get out into the real world and find it's a cruel place.

Peachy
    Like anything, proper execution of the concept involves choosing the right shade of gray. There's a line between security and intrusion. I don't see what's intrusive about having them in a school setting if there's enough of a problem with kids acting up that they seem necessary. Most businesses have security cameras now, and we don't even realize it. I've spent more time in the baby sections of stores that have security cameras than I'd like to admit. I'm sure whoever reviews the footage noticed it and might've even gotten a good laugh at my expense, but I've never been harassed about it, because I wasn't doing anything illegal.

Lets see I've had my PSP, Phone, Camera, 300$ in cash and several dozen art books stolen since I started So no they do not help. OIh and We still openly do drugs at school.