Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Greatest Event

Default Single Greatest Event

In your opinion, what do you believe was the single greatest event in Western History? I was watching the History Channel special on the French Revolution and one of the historians on that show, claimed that the French Revolution was the single greatest event in Western Civilization.

So what do you think was? Care to debate his claim?

The single greatest event in western history was the French Revolution ? i very much care to debate that because France in in the Eastern Hemisphere =P so it can't be the single greatest event in western history.

As for what i think it might be .. that would have to be the down fall of the Mayans And Aztecs. Seriously drastic and disastrously devastating to the general level and discourse of available knowledge in the world. Our course to destruction was quickly amplified during that time, with out the stability and government they could have established in their respective territories... such a shame the early spaniards were so disease ridden and greedy, and needy.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    The single greatest event in western history was the French Revolution ? i very much care to debate that because France in in the Eastern Hemisphere =P so it can't be the single greatest event in western history.

As for what i think it might be .. that would have to be the down fall of the Mayans And Aztecs. Seriously drastic and disastrously devastating to the general level and discourse of available knowledge in the world. Our course to destruction was quickly amplified during that time, with out the stability and government they could have established in their respective territories... such a shame the early spaniards were so disease ridden and greedy, and needy.
    Okay, then in the western world, which includes the americas and western europe.

what about the protestant reformation ? ironically im catholic, but it made a shift away from theocracies possibly opening a pathway to the beggining of independent democracies. just a thought

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus75 View Post
    what about the protestant reformation ? ironically im catholic, but it made a shift away from theocracies possibly opening a pathway to the beggining of independent democracies. just a thought
    Either Reformation, or the invention of the printing press. THe first created the mindset for increased research into how the world works, the second created the means of spreading the new discoveries among as many people as possible. Without the discovery of all the laws of physics, chemistry, biology etc. today's industrialized world would be impossible, and we'd still be stuck hand writing books and fearing a God or the pope or the whole catholic church.

Peachy

I would say the First Industrial Revolution. Without it, there wouldn't have been a second one, but we also wouldn't have many of the luxuries we have today, ie Cars, Ipods, ect.

the american revolution started everything. i mean, the french wanted to follow, but they didnt really get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by baby jester View Post
    the american revolution started everything. i mean, the french wanted to follow, but they didnt really get anywhere.
    Actually they did, they abolished the monarchy didn't they? I mean granted Napoleon came around, but the French Republic exists today following many of the same principles laid out from the saying Libertie, Equalitie, Franturnatie

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    In your opinion, what do you believe was the single greatest event in Western History? I was watching the History Channel special on the French Revolution and one of the historians on that show, claimed that the French Revolution was the single greatest event in Western Civilization.

So what do you think was? Care to debate his claim?
    The evolution of the toe-loop into a full-foot stirrup.

That permitted the Normans to use spears as lances, you know... And we all know what happened next.*

*For the Americans here, this was 1066, and the invading Normans were fighting King Harold and his Saxons. The lances won the day and then Harold was hacked to bits after all his bodyguards were dispatched.