Thread: Greetings from...

Default Greetings from...

...snowy, well-below-freezing Michigan! Don't mind me; I'll just be hiding in my blanket until spring comes.

On a less random point, I'm a newbie to the site...which is probably obvious. I'm hoping that I won't make any major missteps around here, since I've been lurking a bit up until now. It's a normal thing for me - trying to figure out how the community works so I don't offend anyone/embarrass myself in my first post. But in this case, I was also trying to decide if I should introduce myself, because I wasn't really sure if (or how) I might fit in. I stumbled across the site by chance while trying to find out more about the topic, primarily due to a growing interest in certain aspects, and hearing the term used in a few places. It seemed like the best way to learn more about it. For me, though, all the labels seemed to only half-fit.

For example, I don't really feel an interest in regression, but I do want to let my inner child out to play on occasion, while keeping the positives of thinking the way I do now. I don't want to put my adult mind away, in other words, but I want to be lighthearted and even childlike, without the current restrictions I put on myself. (Granted, there are times where I wish I could make my mind shut up, but that's another thing altogether.) Diapers don't particularly push my buttons, but I find them cute in drawings, to the point where I'd really like to try wearing some. Over the last year or so, I've been nudged into doing things that I don't think I would have tried otherwise - using a bottle and pacifier being an example. And yet I don't really see doing it as being a big deal. If anything, it's not public because I don't want to try and explain it to the people I live with; in every other way, it feels natural to me. But then, as a kid I used to walk around (in the house) while sucking on a spoon or chewing on a plastic straw, without really noticing that I was doing it.

Basically, I had no idea where I really stood, and it was confusing...and then I decided that I was over-thinking things. If I saw some interests in common with what's talked about here, I should just go ahead and introduce myself already - after all, what harm could it do? So that's why I'm here, rambling away like this. Though I'll admit that I have next to 0 experience with AB/DL things (can list what I've tried on one hand, honestly) and thus won't be able to help others much, I hope that one day I'll be able to contribute something that's as helpful to others as the information here has been to me. A big thing that made me feel like I might fit in after all is reading threads and seeing how different everyone is. And it certainly helps me to feel a bit less like an oddball...despite my boyfriend's influence being the main thing that sparked my interest in the first place! Go figure...

Anyway, other than being a curious little cat, I'm also a hopeful computer technician and web designer. 'Hopeful' because I have experience and basic skills for the former, but none of the certifications that will help me get a job where I actually make decent money! I plan to have that one fixed within the next couple months, though, with the web designer part taking longer since I'm still in classes for that degree. There's a number of other things I like, besides technology and poking about in the vast sea of info, memes, and wiki pages that is the internet. I spend a lot of time listening to music, writing some short stories and poetry, admiring other people's art (because I have no artistic skill worth talking about), and playing video games and online games. You could probably call me a furry, since I like some of the art enough to have an FA account, and have a couple personae that I identify with to various amounts...but then, I can also say that every character I write has a little bit of me in them, so that's not unusual in the least. When it comes to books, science fiction and fantasy are my favorites...but I won't touch Twilight with a ten foot pole, as it makes me start ranting about Mary Sues and bad fanfiction. Random fact: I may live in a state where it snows plenty, but I've never worn skis, snowshoes, or much other cold weather gear other than boots, mittens, hats, coats, and long underwear.
    (If it gets cold where you live and you ever have to work outside, or even be outside for more than the home -> car -> job -> car -> home trek, buy some long underwear! It's wonderful stuff. If you get the kind that people use for winter sports, it holds in a lot of heat and is still thin enough to wear under your normal clothes! I know, I shouldn't randomly go on this tangent, but the high here was 16 degrees F today, so anti-cold measures are floating around the top of my mind right now.)

Other random things I like...hmm...cartoons (especially 80s and early 90s era ones), Vocaloid, plush toys/stuffed animals, playing with little kids (old enough to walk, not old enough to be the attitude-having, think-they-know-everything kind of teenager I was not too long ago d: ), anime and manga, foreign languages, arts and crafts, and anyone with a sense of humor! Oh, and anyone who actually took the time to read all of this, as this post is far longer than I intended for it to be. Oops. ^^;

Well, hi everyone, and nice to meet you!

Woohoo!

Another regression loving, web designing, slow to jump in, nice intro writing Michigander ! Welcome to the group. Great intro. I'm glad you decided to hop in; it's a nice community full of people who understand all these little quirks and more.

>view on regression
    I think I get what your saying. You love the whole topic and idea here, but you want to keep your dignity, lol. I understand that thinking, although I can't say I'm in the same place completely, since I just woke up in a fairly wet diaper . For me, I think it started similarly. I loved the look of diapers, and all the sensory stuff that came with these regression-based items (including bottles, pacifiers, blankies, onesies, etc.). I also grew to really love the artwork, but my desire to go back to using this stuff stems from long before then.

I don't think you need to worry about loosing you adult minset while indulging in these things. I don't. I'm still thinking about the websites I'm working on, the groups I'm running, etc. I just feel so much more comfortable doing these things while I'm diapered up with my teddy and paci . I find it just very serene and relaxing. I'm usually only participating in these things in private, certainly no exhibitionist here. I just think life is easier for me when I'm able to fully unwind and not have to worry about stuff so much.

>your web designing career
    Oh cool, what's your specialty on the web? Is it more the aesthetic design and layout of a website, or are you into the coding and/or user experience/quality control stuff? For me, I started out with coding, but have recently liked the user experience field so much I might be more interested in that. I have yet to take web graphics/design, so I'll be doing that this semester. I recently chose this major, so I'm not too far into all this stuff, although I do run 3 active websites. I'll wish you the best in this .

>Lurking before posting
    Actually, I think it's cool you did that, because it allows you to really get a good feel for the site beforehand. I can honestly say that we don't bite, so it would have been okay to hop in earlier, probably. However, I know I have done the same thing you did on pretty much every site I've ever been on. This one is probably the only exception, lol (which is interesting because at first I didn't think I would be very regular at posting at all).

>Michigander
    Oh cool! Me too, born and raised. Southeastern Mich here. EMU territory to be exact, lol (I just thought that up, kind of a lame pun/insider joke there, I suppose for us Mitten State folks). I've never worn skis or snowshoes either to be honest. Oh, and long underwear? Hmmm, can't say I've done that. I would like a sleeper though, lol.

Well thanks a lot for posting this morning. Feel free to stick hop in whenever you're interested. I hope you have a lot of fun here!

Excellent introduction! Hope all is well in Michigan! I sort of miss, well, I can't think of much I miss from Michigan right now, but I am sure there is something! Just kidding - there is some awesome Greek food in Detroit!

Hello SparkleShine, Exellent intro, Really cute Avatar and a really cool username, Welcome to ADISC hope you have a brillant time here, what kind of cartoons do you like

Welcome to ADISC SparkleShine really nice to make your intro so in-depth i think you shouldn't worry to much about how much you have to contribute to the site just yet cause you seem really interesting and the more your around the more you'll pick up, and in-turn share. So enjoy your time here =)

Quote Originally Posted by spddan View Post
    Woohoo!

Another regression loving, web designing, slow to jump in, nice intro writing Michigander ! Welcome to the group. Great intro. I'm glad you decided to hop in; it's a nice community full of people who understand all these little quirks and more.
    Thanks for the welcome! Wow, sounds like quite a few things we have in common, too; very cool. (Also, I had to laugh at what you put for location...is that a bad sign? :p Really, I've found the best way to deal with it isn't to focus on the frustration, but to laugh and try not to get discouraged, because...well, not much else we can do, unfortunately! Then again, I find the ability to laugh at myself when I mess up to be one of the best things I've ever learned how to do. Even if it makes people look at me strangely when I start laughing because of a moment like that.)

>view on regression
    I think I get what your saying. You love the whole topic and idea here, but you want to keep your dignity, lol.
    That's a great way of putting it, I think, and a good description for the sort of back-and-forth tug I've had with all this. On the one hand, I like the idea of going back to when things were simple and just relaxing and having fun, but at the same time, the worry about completely looking like an idiot is definitely there. Sometimes it's actually pretty annoying, and I still remember very clearly what I was thinking the first time I bought baby stuff for myself: "Act natural, act natural...pretend you're getting stuff for someone with a kid, and no one will suspect anything...eep, there are parents with kids in the aisle! I wonder if the contents of my basket are odd... *mentally bonks self in head* Don't be silly, they're too busy looking for stuff to even notice!" The same thing happens when I go to the store to buy toys, at least when it comes to things that I'm well out of the age range for.

I don't think you need to worry about loosing you adult minset while indulging in these things. I don't. I'm still thinking about the websites I'm working on, the groups I'm running, etc. I just feel so much more comfortable doing these things while I'm diapered up with my teddy and paci . I find it just very serene and relaxing. I'm usually only participating in these things in private, certainly no exhibitionist here. I just think life is easier for me when I'm able to fully unwind and not have to worry about stuff so much.
    That's definitely good to hear; one thing I want to make sure I do is keep a sort of balance between the different things I do, and knowing that it's possible to work on things like normal while still in a diaper makes it seem that much more possible. And the relaxation side of things is a major plus for me, since if I get stuck on a problem or run headfirst into writer's block, sometimes the best possible thing I can do is to take a breather, try to wind down a little, and start working again with a different angle or viewpoint in mind. Trying to break through the mental wall with my head doesn't do any good, I can say that much for sure.

>your web designing career
    Oh cool, what's your specialty on the web?
    I started out mostly with coding too, and I still do a good portion of that in cases where I'm putting a site together for someone and it's brand new. But my favorite part is the designing - taking the information and working with it so it's easy to use and looks good, too. I do get stuck at times since I started doing pages before I ever tried much with editing and creating graphics, so sometimes my mental image of the site and what I can actually make don't match as well as I'd like. But after all the times where I've been talking to a friend or relative and they've said something like, "I went to [name of company's site] and I couldn't find anything I needed!" I got really interested in the idea of making things user friendly. I'm hoping I can focus on that more as I go along, but I'm still learning about it. I know what you mean about being new to the topic, too; I taught myself some coding basics at first, and I've tried to keep up with things, but I still learn something new in every class that I take. Developments in the tech world go so quick that I'll never keep up with everything. It's like being a hamster in a wheel sometimes...but hey, I figure they must be having fun running around on those things, so why can't I? What kind of sites are you working on? I can see juggling a couple at once to be fairly tricky, if the info changes pretty often.

>Michigander
    Oh cool! Me too, born and raised. Southeastern Mich here. EMU territory to be exact, lol (I just thought that up, kind of a lame pun/insider joke there, I suppose for us Mitten State folks). I've never worn skis or snowshoes either to be honest. Oh, and long underwear? Hmmm, can't say I've done that. I would like a sleeper though, lol.
    Really? I'm also in the southeastern area! And you know, though I knew those were the letters, the whole 'emu' thing just clicked! Heh, I'll have to bug the folks I know in that area with jokes about fluffy mammals now. As for the long underwear thing, I discovered that the last time I had to stand outside for the better part of a half hour as part of my job, even at this time of year. I was fine with a coat, but no matter what I did, my legs would be freezing! I didn't think the added layer was going to work, since it was thinner than the actual clothes I wore, but that plus a good pair of socks really helped a ton. I'd love to have a sleeper for bedtime, though; they look really comfortable. (The hard thing would be dealing with that zipper during late night bathroom runs, though...hmm.)

Quote Originally Posted by closet dl View Post
    Excellent introduction! Hope all is well in Michigan! I sort of miss, well, I can't think of much I miss from Michigan right now, but I am sure there is something! Just kidding - there is some awesome Greek food in Detroit!
    Thanks! Yeah, there are some great places to eat around here, that's true. Some of the products that are mostly in this area are easy to miss, too - I had a relative come in for the holidays, and they had to buy chips and pop to take back home, because they couldn't get it there. Luckily they drove in; I can imagine how much it would cost to ship soda cases back home.

Quote Originally Posted by fallout3 View Post
    Hello SparkleShine, Exellent intro, Really cute Avatar and a really cool username, Welcome to ADISC hope you have a brillant time here, what kind of cartoons do you like
    Thanks a lot! I kind of went with the first things that came to mind as I was signing up, heh...all except for the intro, that one took a while. As for cartoons, I grew up watching a lot of the older stuff like Looney Tunes (and only now am I starting to get some of the jokes meant for adults, haha), but I also remember things like Woody Woodpecker, David the Gnome, the Smurfs and the Snorks, Care Bears, Thundercats, Dinosaucers, She-Ra, He Man, My Little Pony...so yeah, a bit of everything! I lost track of how many hours I've spent on Youtube hunting down some of my favorites. And that's outside of the live action shows. I still watch a lot of cartoons now, actually... it helps that I'm not the only one in the house that does, so I'm able to laugh at Family Guy or Futurama without worrying about reactions. Though I do tend to flip channels if someone comes in during Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    Welcome to ADISC SparkleShine really nice to make your intro so in-depth i think you shouldn't worry to much about how much you have to contribute to the site just yet cause you seem really interesting and the more your around the more you'll pick up, and in-turn share. So enjoy your time here =)
    Thank you! I guess I'm still in that stage where I have to master crawling before I can start walking, huh? I'll try to keep that in mind. And I definitely plan on having a good time here; it's hard not to, with so many interesting posts around. The hard part's keeping track of time. ^^;

No problem Sparkle .

Quote Originally Posted by SparkleShine View Post
    I had to laugh at what you put for location...is that a bad sign? :p
    LOL, oh yeah, my location. It used to read, "Michigan, USA", then I changed it to "Michigan - too far away from where ever girls are going wild", and now I've got my 'capital of America's recession' on there, lol. I kid, I kid. I'm always the one in the room to make light of a situation by seeing the humor in everything. It's the way to live, bro! I'm so tired of supper serious people! Arrrrgh!

Honestly though, I have little to complain about economy-wise. Sure, I'm often strapped for cash, can barely afford diapers, our family is in so much debt we had to sell our stake in the family cottage, and I'm not being paid much or working a lot of hours (work at GFS - go Michigan groceries! lol). However, on the bright side, I'm still living with two loving, supportive parents, my father gets paid well enough to make ends meet, and I may hate my job, but at least I HAVE one! Things could be soooo much worse for me right now. I won't be legitimately complaining anytime soon on that one .

I like the idea of going back to when things were simple and just relaxing and having fun, but at the same time, the worry about completely looking like an idiot is definitely there.
    Oh yes, I know what you're talking about there. That was one concern I had when I was initially getting involved. However, I realized a couple things:
    1) I can still do grownup things while wearing a diaper, that's no biggie. Plenty of incontinent people do, right? I can also keep stuffed animals on my bed, and keep toys around, because there are plenty of 'normal' adults who do that too.
    2) Especially when I am alone, in my room, with no one with me, Who the H*** cares?!?! No one there is watching except me, and so long as I don't see myself as an 'idiot' then no one is there to call me an idiot, are they? So, I can do even more childish things without having to worry about what others think now! They're not there to get an impression of me, in the first place.

I still remember very clearly what I was thinking the first time I bought baby stuff for myself
    Oh goodness, don't we all? That was so friggin' nerve wracking! It took me months, maybe years to set up! Now, it takes minutes, maybe hours lol. No all I need to do is be able to order online. Living with my family who is always curious to see what I am doing still has made me cautious of this.

The same thing happens when I go to the store to buy toys, at least when it comes to things that I'm well out of the age range for.
    "Good for you! Not being bound by the *recommended* age!"

keep a sort of balance between the different things I do
    That's the goal man, always to find the balance. I no longer find it very difficult to be wearing a diaper and doing my usual daily stuff. Heck, I'm wearing a Depends with a Baby Dry 6 right now, the first time I've worn during the day in a little while .

I am a writer too my friend, so I understand your whole writer's block issue. Maybe breaking away to do some childish things would help clear your mind? Whatever makes those words flow from your head the way you need them to, that's what I'd advise doing. I'm very much the same way with my writing.

I started out mostly with coding too, still do a good portion of that in cases where I'm putting a site together for someone and it's brand new.
    That's what I figured. I don't work for a company at the moment, but I have done a few freelance jobs. I run two sites. I made my first one after just one semester, so it's a bit of a laugh. I redesigned another site that had belonged to a friend. I just launched that one a few weeks ago, so it's about at the forefront of my ability.

On both of these sites, I did the coding from scratch. Now, the second site, the newer one, that was actually my first redesign. There was already an existing site, but it was very poorly organized, primarily because it had been set up on one of those pain-in-the-butt programs that people love to use...

taking the information and working with it so it's easy to use and looks good, too.
    Well, let me just toss this out here... information architect? That's what my Designing User Experience professor does, and it's all about that, as one of the four fields of user experience. I really enjoyed recoding the parent site, getting to re-structure the information to make it much more presentable and much better organized. I did an exploratory card sort, a competitive analysis, a site deconstructions, and created the new hierarchy and made the mockups for my final design.

It was pretty fun, and a definite learning experience for me. The lady who ran the site is a really *really* good friend of mine (so good that she's aware of my *BDLism), so it's really a pretty stress-free environment for my first total redesign. It's like working with family, a family that really gets along well. I launched it as a Christmas gift to her, she had no idea I had done so much or that I was that close to finishing. She loved it!

I can picture this being a good career for me, so long as the fun factor remains.

I'm also in the southeastern area! The whole 'emu' thing just clicked! Heh, I'll have to bug the folks I know in that area with jokes about fluffy mammals now.
    Oh no! He knows too much now! Flood the chamber, burn the evidence, get the embezzled pacifiers back to Meijer! We're caught! LMAO!

Yeah, I'm not too surprised you're from the SE corner. After all, there are about 5 million of us here, that's about half the state's population. Post a little bit more, and you can become a regular and add yourself to the users map . As for the EMU thing, sorry, I realized after I posted it that it might take even a local a while to figure out where the heck I was going with that, lol. I don't go to EMU, but my parents did.

The hard thing would be dealing with that zipper during late night bathroom runs, though...hmm.
    Oooh, I've got a remedy for that .
    Obviousness spoiler here:

Of course, that may not be 'your thing' in the long run though...

they had to buy chips and pop to take back home, because they couldn't get it there.
    Had to comment on this too. Vernors, Faygo, Mackinaw Island Fudge, Jays, Koegel, Bessinger Pickles, Jiffy Mix, pasties.... hmmm... some of those can be found anywhere, but you'd have to really search hard for a lot of those things outside of Michigan, might not even be possible in a lot of places. A shame, cause they're so good .

Oh, and did he mention Greek food? . My mom used to work as a waitress at a Greek restaurant in Ann Arbor. I still ring up her old boss sometimes at work, and GFS is his food supplier.

Anyhow, thanks for responding. Look forward to hearing more from you .
    -Dan
    Last edited by spddan; 30-Jan-2011 at 16:01.

That is probably the longest intro I have EVER SEEN! Welcome to ADISC! Hope you enjoy this site and its helpful and supportive community! Peace and Love