Thread: Privately Owned Movie Theaters Instead of National Chain Theaters

Default Privately Owned Movie Theaters Instead of National Chain Theaters

I love privately owned movie theaters. Which isn't to say that I don't go to the national chains for a first-run film, but privately-owned theaters generally offer a more enjoyable viewing experience for me. I go to one just outside of Pittsburgh called The Hollywood just about every week to see another movie. The Hollywood is second-run and classic theater that has been fully renovated, and is beautiful on the inside. It only has one screen, but the price is only $6 and the best part is it is a BYOB theater! The Hollywood has showings on Rocky Horror Picture Show every other Saturday at Midnight and also has a shadow cast, the JCCP perform along with the movie and encourages audience participation (which really enhances The Rocky Horror experience). I have seen most of the films they show there, but I really enjoy seeing them on the big screen so much more. If you want to find out more about the Hollywood, you can check out the website The Hollywood Theatre. It is truly the best theater I have ever been to. So what are the privately owned theaters near you like?

pamperchu

I hate going to the movies, you end up spending too much money for everything, that's why I built my own small one in an extra room I have. Everyone can be in just their diapers if they want.

There's no private owned movies I can go to.. I hate being stuck with Regal, their reward system sucks.. you have to earn 50 points for a small popcorn, another 50 for a small soda and another 50 for a movie ticket.

Each point = 1 dollar spent. However you get extra credits for seeing select movies.. like I get 10 extra credits for Up In The Air on top of the 7 for the ticket itself. Let's just hope I win the 3000 dollar mastercard from its promo contest too. :P

so far I got more then 283 credits. Though I most likely only spent maybe 125 dollars altogether.. and I never buy popcorn or candy unless its a buck.

We don't have one currently, but we will get one soon. There is a really old theater right in the downtown area, but sadly it closed many many years ago and got run down and deteriorated. Thankfully though, there is a group here that is adamant about getting it re-opened, they've raised a lot of money to do it, got support from the town and renovations are currently in progress. It's slated to be both a movie and live performance theater and I can't wait for it to be up and running again.

My family used to own one in Canada.. We charged about $4.50 for students / seniors and $6 regular..

It was also shown in a Bette Midler film, & teenage werewolf tv series or whatever it was called...

I feel like we go to a small movie theater each year as a trip and it is very quaint. I don't go to movie theaters often since I have only been to one 3 times in the past 5 years. The last movie that I saw was Where the Wild Things Are and it was definitely worth it. I didn't buy any food since it was fucking expensive (6 dollars for a small popcorn!) and in seriousness these national brand theaters are too expensive. Too bad there aren't any of these privately owned theaters close (the forementioned one is at least an hour away) are a better choice for many in these tough economic times.

I am a drive-in theatre buff. I really like hitting different drive-ins each week

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    There's no private owned movies I can go to.. I hate being stuck with Regal, their reward system sucks.. you have to earn 50 points for a small popcorn, another 50 for a small soda and another 50 for a movie ticket.

Each point = 1 dollar spent. However you get extra credits for seeing select movies.. like I get 10 extra credits for Up In The Air on top of the 7 for the ticket itself. Let's just hope I win the 3000 dollar mastercard from its promo contest too. :P

so far I got more then 283 credits. Though I most likely only spent maybe 125 dollars altogether.. and I never buy popcorn or candy unless its a buck.
    I work at a Regal! So I can really help you.

Upsize the freebies for the $.50 or whater to refills.

At mine we honestly don't care if you bring your own stuff.

The tub and large drinks can be brought back in easily as they're not a bag/cardboard cup.

On Mondays and Tuesdays theres $1 popcorn and $1 candy, I forget which is which but yes.

Although i'm not allowed to get a rewards card....

We have a couple here in the DFW area. I haven't been to one but I've had my eye on the Walnut Theater. It's about half a mile from the train station so I can get my exercise too.

There's a really cool one near my school. It's only $6 most nights, and $3 for us students. You can get a ticket, popcorn, and soda for about $10, its a pretty good deal.