Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey cars peoples I need help!!!!

Default Hey cars peoples I need help!!!!

Okay this is what I am faced with. My front tires are making this "scary" noise. Whenever I drive over a bump in the road, sometimes it does this and sometimes it doesn't and it doesn't matter at what speed, the front wheels make a noise like you are going over RxR tracks...a klunk noise. Or the noise coupled together train cars make.

I am thinking this is a suspension problem, but what do you all think? Whatever it is, how serious is it and how much is this going to cost me?

You need to have the front end checked ASAP, they need to check the tir rod ends and the ball joints.

If those parts are solid, then you need to check the front wheel bearings, they do this at the same time they check the ball joints and tie rods.

Then if they are solid it could be just a shock bushing or a strut problem these can go for a little while without causeing you any harm and you can get those fixed at a later date.

What kind of car is it ? Bee

Yeah thats a big old tank, all the things I said still apply, if the noise is constant look at the edges of your tires for cupping, that will give you a rumbeling noise almost all of the time.

Cupping is just what it sounds like cupped shaped divits in the edges of your tires, this sounds lile snow tires on the front, if the thread looks ok just have them moved to the back. That comes form poor tire balanceing.

Have the front end checked for your safty you don't want a tie rod or a ball joint seperating when your driveing NOT Good, the shocks could wait if it's just that...Bee

So I just may need a tire balancing? The tires them selves are flawless, they still have the treads on them and have the little hairs on them still. What could I be looking at cost wise if a ball joint needs to be fixed?

Note: I didn't hit anything, It was just a really cold day it it started acting like this.

Well if the tires are that new I doubt it is a tire problem, the last time I bought ball joints they cost me about 30 bucks each.

call a few places after you have the front end checked and get the best price if you know what the parts cost it is had to rip you off on the labor.

They will still rip you off. but you will be able to get a decent price after you know what exactly is wrong with your car.

Most places (Garages) will check your car for free, as a matter of fact go to sears they will check it and when they tell you what is wrong, leave tell them you need to think about it.

The most I can think you would need is 2 lower ball joints and 2 outer tie rod ends

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

I just checked the autozone site for parts, the ball joints are about 27 each and the tie rods are 17 each/

But on front end work the labor is expensive because it's dirty work, get estimates after you have the front end checked
    Last edited by ballucanb; 02-Jan-2010 at 22:35.

You can't let suspension problems go, but it may be cheaper and easier than you fear.

When my son's old Caddy did that, we looked underneath and one side looked different, ie, something missing. Don't recall the name of the part, but its a 6-8 inch steel rod with a couple nuts and bushings (OK, wise guys, I know what you're thinking.....) that connects two parts of the suspension together. Just hanging on the rack at Autozone, <$5, so I'm guessing its a common problem with old GM rear drive cars.

How easy is this to do it yourself? Like I have no car repair experience, will I be able to tackel this myself???

If you want to do the work yourself, you will need a bunch of stuff.

For starters a repair manual for the car would be a good idea.
    A Haynes manual can be found at a auto parts store for around $20.
    You will need a jack, axel stands (safety first when under a vehicle) and tools.

First jack the car to take the weight of the vehicle off the suspension parts.
    Then try to wiggle, shake, pull, etc. all the suspension parts to detect where the parts are worn and loose. This will tell you what parts need replacement.

If you have these things and can follow directions in the manual then sure go ahead do the work yourself. It's just a mechanical job, check the condition of all the parts, and replace the ones that are suspect.
    Be sure you know what you are going to do before you start, have the parts in hand, you don't want to have to take the bus to the auto parts store with the car apart in your driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    It was just a really cold day it it started acting like this.
    Really cold day = really hard rubber bushings, and when they're worn out... Snaps, clunks and pops.

Like ballucanb said, it could be any combination of ball joints, tie rod ends, swaybar bushings, or strut mounts. All these parts for that car are extremely cheap, but no, you won't be able to replace them yourself unless you have some specialized tools (plus, you'll need an alignment afterwards).

The ball joints and tie rod ends are pressed into the spindle (the part the brake rotor bolts to), and you'll need a "ball joint puller" to undo them. Also, if you replace the strut mounts (the two disc looking things at the top of the struts in the engine bay) you'll need a spring compressor.

It can be a DIY job, and the tools you can rent for free from Autozone, but you still need an alignment afterwards, and would have to "eyeball" the alignment yourself and then drive (or tow) it to a place with an alignment rack.

Chances are on your 1995 that most of these wear items are ready for replacement, and considering you're going to be in there with stuff apart, it makes sense to replace as much as possible. It doesn't make sense to just replace the ball joints for example, when you'll have it apart and tie rod ends are only $8 each.

The good thing is that replacing all these suspension parts will make it ride like a new car again, with better steering feel, tighter suspension, and no odd noises.

Front lower ball joints (2) - $10 each
    Front strut mount kit (2) - $35 each
    Swaybar bushings (2) - $10 each
    Outer tie rod ends (2) - $8 each

Alignment - $65
    Labor - $200 (give or take, could be less if you have it aligned at the same place that does the work).

Out of balance tires will not cause clunks, pops, and snaps. They will only cause constant road noise and vibration while moving at speed. Same goes for wheel bearings (but noise would vary depending on steering angle). Clicking or snapping during tight turns would be a CV joint issue.

Keep in mind that this is a safety issue. If your ball joints and/or tie rod ends are worn enough, they can fail completely and leave you with no steering control. It's a good idea to get this stuff taken care of. It's regular maintenance, and should be factored into the cost of having a safe car on the road.

Good luck... If you decide to do the job yourself I can give you some pointers, but I think you'll find that it's just easier to have a shop do the whole shebang.