Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If TSA misses my diaper, do the terrorists win?

Default If TSA misses my diaper, do the terrorists win?

If any of you have seen the picture of the bomb-underwear from the terrorist suspect nabbed at the Detroit Airport, you'd think the TSA should be on the lookout for bulging undies. YOU'D THINK, right? They should at least have been, er, briefed on the issue.

So when it came time for me to depart Ann Arbor, MI through Detroit, I thought I'd check it out in my timidly exhibitionist way. Arriving in a single bambino (to avoid detection at my brother's house), I ducked into a stall and put a second on, and pulled up the dockers - loose fitting enough to not be too obvious, but any one of you would have zeroed in on the triangle in the front of the crotch which doesn't move when I walk.

So I start to think of what it would be like to shuffle into the hidden area to have my diapers inspected - hey, I figure it's part of the job, like what EMTs see on occasion. But nope, waved right on through. Guess I could have been the Bambino Bomber. I did not feel safer.

Those of you who fly diapered as I do (when heading home - too hard to dispose of a soggy diaper when going TO family gatherings), should be paying attention to the recent discussions of full-body scanners they are talking of using here in the US - and are using in spots in Europe and, as I understand it, in six airports in the US. These will be able to see our diapers. No sneaking through. The question then is whether diapers on adults would trigger an inspection, or whether they are common enough that they would be recognized as not terrorist threats.

Now as for me, if they want to look, I'll show. But how about all y'all? If you don't want to have your diaper exposed to the TSA, but you have to just to get on the plane, have the terrorists won? (sorry for the slight twist of the thread title, but hey, close enough, eh?)

Butterfly Mage

I guess that, on a high-tech imaging system, a diaper must look like a diaper and a bomb must look like a bomb. That's good news for incontinent people since it means we won't get harrassed at the airport.

I would think that the security people are trained (like doctors and EMTs) when they see a diaper how to respond (or more likely not to respond) I am sure they get training, and if you see this kind of image it just means the person is incontinent and this is an adult brief. The fact of the matter most security people don't care about you one bit, unless you pose a problem, so they will see the diaper and their resonance will most likely be "NEXT" as they don't care about your diaper. Now if you had a bomb in the diaper then they will care about you, about getting you out of line and in jail (where you would belong in that case)

Quote Originally Posted by babyboy View Post
    I would think that the security people are trained (like doctors and EMTs) when they see a diaper how to respond (or more likely not to respond) I am sure they get training, and if you see this kind of image it just means the person is incontinent and this is an adult brief. The fact of the matter most security people don't care about you one bit, unless you pose a problem, so they will see the diaper and their resonance will most likely be "NEXT" as they don't care about your diaper. Now if you had a bomb in the diaper then they will care about you, about getting you out of line and in jail (where you would belong in that case)
    They are also trained to spot bombs, but some guy managed to get a firebomb on a plane a few days ago.

it all depends on many factors, one being your race/skin color, and were you are going/comeing from. They can say all they want that they dont profile, but the fact is they are trained to do that. So if your a somewhat overweight typical white male (average american guy), that happens to have a unusual bulge in your pants, they are not even going to notice you, and if they do, they probably wont are not going to screen you. Now, if you were of a specific skin color (anything but pale white, or average black), and were acting nervous, and putting out the signs to what they are trained to look for, then I am sure they would have had you in the back for a strip search (and whatever else they do)

That might sound very wrong, but that is the reality of what air port security do

Never had trouble wearing diapers, but my crotch snaps always puzzle the TSA guys. One time they did pull me out, made me undo the shortalls I was wearing, and wanded my diapers. It was a little much, but it's never happened again.

It depends on the person being checked and the situation. These new concerns are bringing tighter security to protect the world. Truly speaking though, I wouldn't mind but there are two factors: I am a somewhat open person and I would probably not go diapered on a plane anyway. The real question is due to the recent restrictions of going to the bathroom in the last hour of the plane ride, do you think more and more plane riders will go diapered on a plane?

The diapers make no difference. There are many adults who wear them all the time, right out in public. Discretely. If you are wearing a diaper while going through security, you will be treated with the same respect that anybody else would. If they see that you are carrying diapers in your bag, then chances are they won't see it any differently than they would a mother with an 18 month old. A need is a need, whether there is a written prescription or not.

By the way: The last time I visited a major basketball game in a crowded stadium, my bag had to be checked by security. After checking the contents, they showed me where to locate the family restrooms for privacy. They were actually very pleasant about it.

Honeywell6180

I wore a diaper on my last plane ride and didn't get hassled about it. Although this was in 2007.

Just got back from vacation in Tennessee myself, after I entered the security line, I realized I still had my knife on me(Meant to throw it in my checked baggage)...was able to throw it in my laptop bag with some change and a flashlight(Which due to it's size, should've been a problem as well, seeing that it is a "Club like object") - No Problems at all...

Basically: The TSA just likes to scare the shit out of you, when they're just as clueless as you are about attacks ;D

P.S.: I could see missing a small knife, but mine is 4 inches long(Blade Closed)