Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPS newbie seeking works of wisdom

Default FPS newbie seeking works of wisdom

I have been a video game fanatic for well over 12 years - but the thing is, the games that I play the most tend to be the RPGs (and especially the JRPGs). The game that got me hooked on gaming was Final Fantasy VII, after all.

I have purchased a few FPS games for the 360 over the last year, however, and I am finding myself having a blast while playing them - despite the fact that I get killed every other minute.

I would love to test the online multiplayer waters, but I think I need to improve my skills first before entering that territory.

So, here is the question - what are some tips and words of wisdom that can help transform a FPS newbie into a somewhat competent player of such games?

Countless thanks in advance to anybody who is willing to help me out here.

I play Call of Duty, and from what I experienced, just play! It's going to be very hard to just jump into online play with any FPS, so if you have friends who are into gaming to, just play regular split screen multiplayer with them, that should help.

But when it came down to it for me... I sucked very bad at online play for a good month or two before I got any good at all... I mean, experience for a lot of people is directly related to the amount of time you spend on the game. But after a while you'll notice that it will just start to click.

Call of Duty is probably the best FPS online MP so I am basing this mainy off of it (and some halo 3). Make sure you have played through the campain on any FPS so you know your weapons, how its generally laid out (Halo 3 has no cover, charge in guns blaizing, noscope sniping is common. For CoD, much cover, camoflauge is a good tactic, sniping is much more realistic, plays out more like a soldier might engage an enemy) and so you know the controls to the point you don't have to look at the controller.

This sound funny but seriously... CHECK YOUR CORNERS! This means turning before the corner then strafing (can't spell) out so you can see everything around that corner. There are lots of shotguners who will wait around corners for you... this tactic will give you a higher chance of survival.

Sometimes darkness or camoflauge is a real big part, if you stand in a bush in the shadows wearing green armor or equpiment you have about a 1.5 seconds head start on them opening fire. Sometimes its enough, but you always want to get the drop on your enemies before they do.

Find what your good with, for me I like to use medium to long range weapons. This changes over time so you need to keep experimenting with what you are good with.

Know the maps, go into split screen with friends or just by yourself and scope out routs, sniping locations, camping spots you might need to watch. Things like that. Have friends play with you so you get a feel for where to look when you scan the area you enter.

Don't camp. A grenade will land on your face eventually.

When sniping, keep moving after you take down a few targets or they may sneak up on you.

Don't go to the last place you were killed, especially if you were sniped. If you think you can take the sniper or camper or whatever you can try. But be careful, thats points to the enemy team.

Your teammates are you buddies, even if you hate their guts. Call them whatever you want but following them into battle may verywell win that match.

You will die a lot. It's common. Everyone does it. Don't turn into one of the noobs who take games seriously the wrong way. It's just a game, be a good sport about it. (That shouldn't be a problem for you. You seem cool enough )

Crouching and crawling are good tactics, it makes a less presentable target. Behind cover they need a headshot before you can mow them down to size.

Watching your teammates tactics or enemy tactics might help, even in the campaign missions if there was something that the enemy did that just seemsed to screw you over all the time, try it out. It might work.

*Panting* Holy crap I wrote alot...

Practise makes perfect, try it out. You might epicly fail at first but it can get better.

Wow, thanks for that epic advice post, oblivionxi1.

Yeah, I really don't mind if I get killed in a game - unless I am in some RPG that has crappy save points and doesn't give the ability to skip through cinema sequences (Tales of Vesperia, anyone?). If I have to go through 20-30 minutes all over again because I die during an epic boss battle, that does tend to get annoying real quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by kaworuchan View Post

Yeah, I really don't mind if I get killed in a game - unless I am in some RPG that has crappy save points and doesn't give the ability to skip through cinema sequences (Tales of Vesperia, anyone?). If I have to go through 20-30 minutes all over again because I die during an epic boss battle, that does tend to get annoying real quickly.
    Thanks man. (I thought it was a little too long though. I got started and I couldn't stop) Anywho, thats understandable. I have had those moments too, people hear words they shouldn't have in times like those. But in multiplayer FPSes I have noticed that a relativly long life is only a few minutes. Unless you are incredibly good, or the enemy team is terrible, (or a combo of both, epic ownage.) even then, nobody lasts that long. You run out of ammo eventually, right?

And I think thats it, if anyone sees a flaw in my tactics please tell me ASAP.
    Last edited by LittleFlint; 27-Dec-2009 at 02:04. Reason: Typos

GaashaHuzzah

No scope with the sniper and snipe with the rocket launcher.

Oh, and blitzkreig the RPD

Quote Originally Posted by kaworuchan View Post

Tales of Vesperia FTW!

JRPGs generally piss me off. Watch all of Yahtzee's videos and you'll understand the reason most people don't like them.

Anyway, quick tip, there are no tips. FPS's are all played differently. Halo is nothing like CoD, Gears of War is a genre in itself because it isn't technically first-person, therefore not an FP-S, but an OTSS (over the shoulder shooter). I'll tell you now,

Gears of War (2): campaign will help you with online,
    CoD: Modern Warfare (2): Playing campaign will not make that big a difference because campaign is played completely differently than online, but it helps you get familiar with the basics
    Halo 3: sucks

Each FPS has to be treated like a completely new game. It's like saying "I'm good at Final Fantasy, I'll just breeze through a Tales game". No. No you will not. Left 4 dead is technically an FPS, but it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same thing as Modern Warfare. So you need tips on playing a particular game, not a genre. The only real tip for this genre is "Point, Aim, Shoot, Cover". that is all.

^^^ Very true, words of wisdom right there.

Don't take all of my stuff to every game, I was trying to generalize it to most FPSes. But as DLDisturbed said, no FPS play out the same.

(And true, Halo 3 MP blows big hairy ones)

OK, in that case, I want tips for CoD, GoW (I know, it's not a FPS, and I beat both of them on the easiest difficulty settings, but have trouble with "Normal"), and Halo (which some people say sucks, but I still think it's fun despite the fact I suck at it). Those are the games I am currently struggling with (although I will admit, for a struggle, I sure am having a lot of fun with them - most of the time when I die because I do something stupid, I laugh out loud at myself and move on).