Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with mental illness.

Default Dealing with mental illness.

I suppose I could start off by sharing a bit more about myself, to see if anybody can relate or understand where I am coming from.

I have both Asperger's and schizophrenia going on. The latter is under control (thanks to medication), but the former is really a struggle.

I decided, a couple of years ago, that even though SSDI is my primary source of income these days, I was not going to be one of those people who shuts himself in his apartment and does nothing to improve his life. I go out and volunteer for causes I believe in, I work a PT job, and I have every intention of becoming a FT student as soon as the financial aid kicks in.

I tried going to the mental health circles, but too many of the people there like to knowingly engage in outrageous behavior and use their illness as an excuse - instead of going to a doctor and trying to improve their lives. I have no desire to associate with those sorts. I would rather surround myself with people who have healthy attitudes about how to live life, after all.

I know that, despite all I have going against me, I am basically a decent and moral person. I have good friends, a loving family, and a slowly expanding social life. I would love to find a good guy to share my life with, but that thought scares me as much as it appeals to me. Would I be asking too much of a loving man to accept me as a partner, with my history of mental illness? I wonder.....

I do my best to keep moving forward, to keep improving myself and to help improve the lives of those around me. Living life any other way makes little sense to me. True, I probably spend more time than I should playing video games, but every man has to have at least one vice - and that is mine.

So, I hope this post doesn't scare anybody away from me.

Take care, have a great Christmas. Going to the family in a couple of hours, really looking forward to that!

Yumi

Hi, kaworuchan.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I am not one you should listen to with the topic of mental illness, but I am definitely not telling you not to take care of it. I was on medication for a while, after/while being hospitalized a few times. I do not take medication anymore, but not because I'm "cured" or had permission. I did stop seeing a psychiatrist. I deal with my issues in other ways. I am sort of against my diagnosis. However, I have realized there are people who love me, and the only way to get any further with them is to trust them.

My fiance is helping me try to see things as he and supposedly everyone else does. I'm getting back on medication, and seeing my doctor once again sometime soon.

Right now, that is not in effect as it is the holidays. So, lately I have not done anything but talk to those I love (not my blood related family, though). I know what it feels like to deal with, and I can only imagine what the people around me go through when I'm.. "sketching out" as they call it. >.<;

It's good that you are doing good things to better yourself. For a long time, I was never like that. I used to use drugs as a way out.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Butterfly Mage

You don't have to worry about scaring me. I have a dissociative disorder. People who know little about mental illnesses tend to confuse Dissociative Identity Disorder with Schizophrenia, but the two illnesses have nothing in common.

I've noticed that a lot of people on ADISC also have Asperger's Syndrome. I wonder if there has ever been a correlation between Aspergers and diaper fetishism.

My dissociative disorder is under control thanks to a long, long, LONG course of psychotherapy.

Hey kaworuchan, your right everyone has a little something as a vice, video games by far is not the worst thing you could be doing. Alot of people here have minor difficulties and syndromes so don't worry about scaring anyone away, you would have to be a super creep to do that and you seem to me like a really nice person. I really like how you plan to live your life trying to make other peoples lives better as well that is something i can relate to and strive to undertake everyday as well ^_^. I've have my fair share of emotional/mental instability, so if you ever need anyone to talk to feel free to PM me=)

Unless that Aspergers was diagnosed by a doctor, I'd throw it out the window. Being socially awkward, or a tad weird does not mean you have a disorder, it really just means you need to get out there and live life ya know?
    Thats how I would tell you to deal with that.

Butterfly Mage

Well... I think that's part of why Aspergers/Autism is considered a "spectrum" disorder: there is a LOT of varience in the intensity of the condition. There are plenty of folk who have it but have not been diagnosed, so they don't know they have it. Likewise, there are people who have the disorder to a low intensity so a doctor won't diagnose it, yet their lives are still somewhat impared.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of people on ADISC also have Asperger's Syndrome. I wonder if there has ever been a correlation between Aspergers and diaper fetishism.
    I notice it a lot more in adult/teen babies.

This is what I think: A lot of us here grow up knowing we're different and feeling like freaks because of our embarrassing fetish / weird regression thing, thinking we're alone in the world. That, I think, is what holds some of the people here from developing socially at a young age, so they're pretty socially awkward by the time they hit their teens.

Then aspergers comes along and ruins it all by being all "It isn't your fault if you diagnose yourself!", and they promptly stop trying to further develop their social skills because it's 'no longer their fault'.

I actually was diagnosed with Asperger's at a very young age, before the yearnings for diapers came along within me. They were always there, but I really did not give much thought to them before puberty came around - and I had the diagnosis long before then.

I do try to develop my social skills. I go out into the world, I volunteer, and I have made several good friends in the last couple of years. But I am totally lost in group situations, I have trouble with figures of speech and sarcasm from others, and I only really feel a connection with another person when I am talking with him or her in a one-on-one context. Naturally, my experiences in public school were hell as a result of that, but understanding the diagnosis has made it easier for me to strategize ways to work around it.

Not everybody with the diagnosis gives up because it's "no longer their fault". That is one stigma that I wish to obliterate by living my life the way I do.

If that was a reply to my post, I was referring to people who diagnose themselves with aspergers because they suck at talking to girls. A proffesional diagnoses by a doctor is completely different. And I didn't imply that aspergers and diaper fetishism are linked, just to clear that up.

I'm the opposite of you though. I suck at one on one talking unless I really click with the person. for me, the larger the group of people, the more energized I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    If that was a reply to my post, I was referring to people who diagnose themselves with aspergers because they suck at talking to girls. A proffesional diagnoses by a doctor is completely different. And I didn't imply that aspergers and diaper fetishism are linked, just to clear that up.
    Ah, OK, sorry for the confusion, in that case.