Thread: Slide guitar

Default Slide guitar

Tomorrow I'm heading into the city to pick up a slide so I can start learning to play slide guitar... Is there anyone here who has any experience with slide guitar? If so, any tips or tricks you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated

Are you playing electric or acoustic? Lap steel? Dobro?

I ask those questions like I know what I'm saying. I don't. However, I have played slide on an acoustic several times live and get a huge kick out of doing it during practice. My tip would be learn the tuning. Tweaking the strings around can make it a lot easier to maintain clean sounding note, especially when you are playing two or three at the same time. There are a few different ways to tune, so find what you like best, I guess.

Also, practice a bunch. At first, its hard to sound like clean, but after a few days, I'm sure you'll nail it. One good way to practice on your own is play your favorite songs loud and play the slide over them, getting the feel for how to play with music, what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

I'll be playing on my Telecaster, and I've tuned it to Open E... I tried it with a little brandy bottle but it doesn't sound too great

I'm guessing you want one of those glass tubes that you put on your finger. I don't play guitar. I'm a keyboardist, but our guitarist used one for certain songs that we played. It works really well.

Yes, that is what he is referring to.
    And, Suspense, if you are trying to improvise, try a shot glass. You can stick your finger in it to support the action. Still doesn't have anything on a real slide, but if the $ is short, it is an option.

What music are you going to be playing with, btw? What kind of music do you play?

LilLillyKitten

Do you want clean tone? If so, set the action high.

Quote Originally Posted by austin.db View Post
    Yes, that is what he is referring to.
    And, Suspense, if you are trying to improvise, try a shot glass. You can stick your finger in it to support the action. Still doesn't have anything on a real slide, but if the $ is short, it is an option.

What music are you going to be playing with, btw? What kind of music do you play?
    I play mostly hard rock and metal, but I want to start playing some bluesy stuff... I woke up late today so I didn't have time to into town to pick up a slide

Nice. I know Slang is really into that type of music. He'd probably be able to relate a little better. I'm a folk-rocker myself.

LilLillyKitten

Quote Originally Posted by Suspence View Post
    I play mostly hard rock and metal, but I want to start playing some bluesy stuff... I woke up late today so I didn't have time to into town to pick up a slide
    If that is the case, then I would suggest what I've already said. =P