Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: halp with overclocking

Default halp with overclocking

im no noob to this but

my mobo doesnt like it if i set the FSB (QDR) to 1200Mhz to achieve a 3GHz overclock

it'll boot windows fine, but crash when i login

my setup is:

ASUS P5N-E SLi motherboard
    E4600 Intel Core 2 Duo
    600 ATX PSU
    2x1 GB crucial 533Mhz DDR2 ram
    1x1 GB corsair gaming memory DDR2 stick 800Mhz (Running at 533Mhz)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT PCI-E 512MB DDR2 graphics

im able to get a 2.66GHz overclock which works, but i wana hit 3GHz

can anyone halp mee?

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by Garurumon View Post
    im no noob to this but

my mobo doesnt like it if i set the FSB (QDR) to 1200Mhz to achieve a 3GHz overclock

it'll boot windows fine, but crash when i login

my setup is:

ASUS P5N-E SLi motherboard
    E4600 Intel Core 2 Duo
    600 ATX PSU
    2x1 GB crucial 533Mhz DDR2 ram
    1x1 GB corsair gaming memory DDR2 stick 800Mhz (Running at 533Mhz)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT PCI-E 512MB DDR2 graphics

im able to get a 2.66GHz overclock which works, but i wana hit 3GHz

can anyone halp mee?
    If it's crashing, you should probably accept it's not going to handle it without issues. The idea with overclocking is to get it as high as possible WITHOUT issue, so if you're having issues, you're likely going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    If it's crashing, you should probably accept it's not going to handle it without issues. The idea with overclocking is to get it as high as possible WITHOUT issue, so if you're having issues, you're likely going too far.
    thing is, this board is well known to be arrogant when it comes to overclocking

ive gotten it where it is with more trouble than it was worth

but i was also told it *could* be the fact im not manually setting voltages, which is something i dont wana touch incase i blow something >_>;

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by Garurumon View Post
    thing is, this board is well known to be arrogant when it comes to overclocking

ive gotten it where it is with more trouble than it was worth

but i was also told it *could* be the fact im not manually setting voltages, which is something i dont wana touch incase i blow something >_>;
    Then you're probably better off accepting the 2.66 you're getting. The last thing you want is a full burn-out of your board and all items attached.

I'm no professional with this stuff. I understand the jumpers well enough to toy around with things and reroute data for...Various...Purposes, but I'm by no means an over-clocking geek. I'm a security geek. So I may be overlooking something, but I generally stick with the theory "If it's not broken, it doesn't need fixing"

your prolly right

tho theres usually a safety cut-out somewhere that stops the machine from POSTing or tells the psu to cut out XD

but as you say, ill leave it as it is for now

In my experience Intels can only handle about 5-10% OC, AMD's 20-25%. This is only if you don't have overheating problems to start with and I've never had an Intel that didn't overheat stock.

Be careful with Intels as they will not shut off should they overheat, they just keep cooking. AMD's have always had a high limit shut down.

Experiment slowly, start with minor OC until you find the unstable zone and then back off. Keep an eye on your core temp as well.

I've managed a reasonable overclock of my processor but it takes an EXTREMELY Long time to POST.. Whats up with that?
    Hell, it takes 30 seconds for the power light to come on >.<