Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Navy SEALs court martialed for treatment of terror captive

Default U.S. Navy SEALs court martialed for treatment of terror captive

I can't add links so here's the whole thing. There's about a thousand different sources including The Pentagon.

Washington (CNN) -- Three U.S. Navy SEALs face criminal charges after the alleged mastermind of one of the most notorious crimes against Americans in Iraq accused them of punching him after his capture, the military said Wednesday.

Ahmed Hashim Abed -- thought to be behind the slayings and mutilation of four U.S. contractors in Falluja in 2004 and captured in summer -- made the accusations against the three servicemen, said Lt. Col. Holly Silkman, a spokeswoman for U.S. Central Command.

A civilian lawyer for one of three SEALs said his client and the other SEALs declined a nonjudicial resolution to the case, a step sometimes called a "captain's mast." The servicemen say they did not harm the detainee in any way and they want their names cleared in a court-martial so they can continue their careers in the Navy, said the attorney, Neil Puckett.

Because the charges against Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew McCabe, Petty Officer Jonathan Keefe and Petty Officer Julio Heurtas are the military equivalent of misdemeanors, they will go before a special court-martial, which is for less serious offenses than those heard in a general court-martial. If found guilty, they could be sentenced to a maximum of a year in a military prison, demotion to the lowest Navy rank, a cut in pay and a bad conduct discharge.

But if found innocent of all charges, they would be able to continue their careers with no record of the case in their personnel files.

The three SEALs are with their unit in Norfolk, Virginia. They will make an initial appearance before a military judge on December 7. The court-martial is scheduled to begin in January.

The attorney said he expects the SEALs will not waive their constitutional right to confront the accuser in court, which could cause a logistical challenge. Abed is believed to be in a U.S. military detention center overseas, and it is unclear if the military would want him brought to the United States for the court-martial.

The four contractors, one of whom was a former Navy SEAL, were working for the Blackwater company when they were attacked in Falluja in 2004. After they were killed with hand grenades and rifles, their bodies were set on fire and dragged through the streets. The bodies of two of them were hung from a bridge in Falluja, an image that was broadcast around the world.

Four days after the attack, the U.S. Marines launched a major offensive inside Falluja, in part to help find the killers.

Personally I think this is a little ludicrous. There is some speculation that this is blow back for a previous operation done by the Navy SEALs in which a civilian captain was rescued from Somali pirates back in April 2009. But, that's just unsubstantiated speculation.

*I removed the interview portion. Speculative opinion seems too much to handle and would really distract from a discussion of the objective article.*

Well there it is, what is everyone elses take? I thought this would be an interesting forum, due to the relative civility and international community.
    Last edited by Fingon; 17-Dec-2009 at 08:35.

There are a thousand sources, but you took the most unreliable, biased, piece of crap an unidentified Limbaugh Dittohead? I thought this forum was way WAY more intelligent than that.

He's still learning that we actually check the references and validity. It's your job to now find something to counter his article or give it more credibility.

Good, these SEALs should be brought before a court-martial and judged in a court of law. Is what they did criminal? I don't know. That's for the justice system to decide. Just like those responsible for the murder of the Blackwater mercenaries should be brought to justice.

The four "contractors" were mercenaries. Sometimes mercenaries get killed.

Any nutbag who signs up to work for Blackwater knows what they are getting into. You're going to war for money, not for a flag. Sorry if I don't shed any tears for people whose job is to kill other people for profit. Doesn't make it right that they were killed, but why the shock and outrage? What would you think if a bunch of heavily armed Chinese mercenaries drove around our streets shooting randomly and killing wantonly?

Blackwater/Xe/whatever the hell it's called today is the most disgusting company on the planet.

We have no moral standing to fight terrorism and despotism worldwide if we don't practice freedom and justice at home. That means nobody is above the law.

The only reason that the scumbags who work for blackwater are in the middle east in the first place is because the war is so heavily politicized. No military official can give a useful order or allow one troop to die, so they send mercenaries. The mercenaries kill innocent civilians, which is covered up by the state department, which breeds more terrorists, who kill more troops, which pisses off more pussy anti-war Americans.

I myself am a Marine poolie, and I hate these slimeballs who think that they can hate the war and love the troops. Bullshit. It's a volunteer force, and if you think war is wrong, take it up with the warriors who willingly put themselves there.

Of course I can hate the war and support the troops.

I support the existence of a military force to defend the United States of America. Those who put their lives on the line to protect our national security are worthy of the utmost respect.

But the war in Iraq has nothing (and never had anything) to do with our national security. Iraq couldn't even send a jet fighter into the sky without us blasting it to pieces, much less attack the American homeland.

No, the war was an imperialist effort by George Bush and his neocon cronies to establish a new American oil empire in the Middle East. Epic fucking fail. Our troops need to be pulled out tomorrow, there's nothing more we can do there.

Iraq will probably collapse into a seething morass of Islamic craziness... but that was always its destiny. The only thing holding it together was a despotic nutbag named Saddam Hussein. With him out of the way, what you're left with are a bunch of British lines on a map surrounding about 80 different ethnic and religious groups, all of which want nothing more than to see the others dead. And we're in the crossfire.

DETHKLOK
    Congrats on joining the proud, welcome to the suck.
    NOW Listem up BOOT, you aint shit till you get threw basic, deal with it. You need some storm face and some time in the sandbox before you can even begin to judge and understand what goes on over there
    Mercs are scumbags, huh, seems you never worked with any of them, hell half the boys BW recruited were former US Mil.
    They are people and many are damned good fighters. Merc by the name of Carl J. was Marine Recon before he went with BW. Saved a few of our boys outside of Ballad right after fallujah 1. Ya real scumbag.
    Killing innocent civilians ROFL. Thats media garbage no civies were ever harmed on purpose but if civilians got caught in the crossfire thats sad (ok truthfuly I don't give a rats ass if a Iraq civie buys it in the crossfire, war is hell, least we don't cut off heads)

As far as the Seals go, This is all political bullshit. So what if that piece of shit got punched in the guts, again hes lucky we don't cut off heads. Heres an idea DON"T resist arrest and you won't get punched little bitch.
    Cops in cities smack criminals around everyday in the course of arrest, you don't see our shitbag polosi ass kissing media making a big issue out of it do you.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbaby View Post
    Of course I can hate the war and support the troops.

I support the existence of a military force to defend the United States of America. Those who put their lives on the line to protect our national security are worthy of the utmost respect.

But the war in Iraq has nothing (and never had anything) to do with our national security. Iraq couldn't even send a jet fighter into the sky without us blasting it to pieces, much less attack the American homeland.

No, the war was an imperialist effort by George Bush and his neocon cronies to establish a new American oil empire in the Middle East. Epic fucking fail. Our troops need to be pulled out tomorrow, there's nothing more we can do there.

Iraq will probably collapse into a seething morass of Islamic craziness... but that was always its destiny. The only thing holding it together was a despotic nutbag named Saddam Hussein. With him out of the way, what you're left with are a bunch of British lines on a map surrounding about 80 different ethnic and religious groups, all of which want nothing more than to see the others dead. And we're in the crossfire.
    well one way i see the war as a 'silver lining' is that those nutbag tyrants are gone. OK things are damn unstable but.. from what i understand, an example of how i think is based on words of an iraqi immigrant whos a friend of my classmate in chemistry. me and the classmate were discussing the conduct of a student who was the person running for UNI SRC leader as headof the left wingish party... and her attitude is, well you can imagine. this leftie was talking to the iraqi girl and essentially grilling her over the war and the iraqi girl had more or less this to say.. 'if you think its bbad now under the americans, its nothing compared to how it used to be under saddam..

meaning.. i see the US occupation as a lesserevil to how it was under saddam.

however, i have understood that the US troops are abit more heavyhanded with civs than the aussie troops.. thats how i understand it anyways, could be wrong.

Mako

You're getting up in arms over them going to court? This is stupid, they're accused of a crime and now they're having their day in court. If they are innocent they will be acquitted and allowed to continue, if they are guilty then punishment will be in order.

What is the problem with this? Do you want people accused of a crime to never be tried and held immune to the law?

Heres an idea DON"T resist arrest and you won't get punched little bitch
    Atleast read..

Three U.S. Navy SEALs face criminal charges after the alleged mastermind of one of the most notorious crimes against Americans in Iraq accused them of punching him after his capture, the military said Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    DETHKLOK
    Congrats on joining the proud, welcome to the suck.
    NOW Listem up BOOT, you aint shit till you get threw basic, deal with it. You need some storm face and some time in the sandbox before you can even begin to judge and understand what goes on over there
    Mercs are scumbags, huh, seems you never worked with any of them, hell half the boys BW recruited were former US Mil.
    They are people and many are damned good fighters. Merc by the name of Carl J. was Marine Recon before he went with BW. Saved a few of our boys outside of Ballad right after fallujah 1. Ya real scumbag.
    Killing innocent civilians ROFL. Thats media garbage no civies were ever harmed on purpose but if civilians got caught in the crossfire thats sad (ok truthfuly I don't give a rats ass if a Iraq civie buys it in the crossfire, war is hell, least we don't cut off heads)

As far as the Seals go, This is all political bullshit. So what if that piece of shit got punched in the guts, again hes lucky we don't cut off heads. Heres an idea DON"T resist arrest and you won't get punched little bitch.
    Cops in cities smack criminals around everyday in the course of arrest, you don't see our shitbag polosi ass kissing media making a big issue out of it do you.
    Well, I've never been there, so fair enough. But I think the military can hold its standards a little higher than not chopping off heads of civilians.