Thread: Windows 7 Upgrade Advice

Default Windows 7 Upgrade Advice

My desktop runs windows vista at the moment (not out of choice). It has some windows specific software I need so I can't change it to linux but I can get a cheap upgrade to windows 7.

However it's for a limited time and if I don't do it before I go home on the 19th I won't be able to by the time I get back to Uni. So what I am looking for is some important information quickly. How well does the computer tend to operate after an upgrade (instead of a full reinstall). How long does it take to do? How easy is it? I need this help pretty quickly too.

Thanks

a windows 7 upgrade usually take about an hour or less to install and its really easy to do from vista actually. the computer if properly allocating files and extensions already should operate pretty normally if not better with the upgrade unless you have any hardware issues which you shouldn't if your comp is fairly new, just make sure you install it properly.. you don't want two OS's

but seriously mzk, forget about windows GO MAC !!!!!! FTW !~

windows 7 is going to make vista obsolete soon, programs will change and will no longer be compatable. sadly. i like vista but i'm going to wait till service pack 2 to switch to 7. this service pack has too many security issues and as a result got fuckedb malwar causing the balck screen issue. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    but seriously mzk, forget about windows GO MAC !!!!!! FTW !~

Quote Originally Posted by mzkkbprmt View Post
    It has some windows specific software I need so I can't change it to linux
    Yes, that'll work well

7 is apparently faster than Vista, but I was never one who found Vista to be slow, so I'm not really the best source of information, there... 7 is certainly a damn fine operating system, though, so if you can get a cheap upgrade, go for it. You presumably don't have to install it yet if you don't want to - just buy it and install it when you get round to it. I'm still running the public RC on my desktop, since reinstalling it to get my retail copy onto it will be so much hassle... But I have until about June, so there's no rush

I don't like upgrading Windows versions. There's always something that'll but a fork into it going 100% the way you want it to. Most likely you'll end up reinstalling a few things anyways.

I recommend you do a backup of what you want, as well as take inventory of your Add/Remove Program list. Then do a wipe and reformat, then install fresh. Much better that way, so you don't end up with OS "holes".

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    I recommend you do a backup of what you want, as well as take inventory of your Add/Remove Program list. Then do a wipe and reformat, then install fresh. Much better that way, so you don't end up with OS "holes".
    Truly the best way

I was lazy and did an upgrade on my laptop. It was quite seamless, but this my advice: make sure you're not busy when you upgrade. The automated installation process took more that two hours. But, in my mind, there is no doubt that its worth upgrading from Vista. Actually, its also worth downgrading...

Doing a custom installation is always better than an upgrade. Because, when you do an upgrade, your drive is not formatted, and you never know if you will have compatibility issues with a program/driver that was previously installed on the system. Also, be very careful, if you computer is still under the manufacturer warranty, and they do not support Windows 7 ( Don't have Windows 7 Drivers for it.. ) You can kiss support goodbye unless you downgrade to Vista everytime you call!

Well, overall, Windows Vista has been pretty dang nice to me.. But.. I lost my product key.. So I have to use XP at the moment, but I am purchasing 7 Professional on Friday. BTW, Mcafee is highly recommended for security.