Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobia

Default Agoraphobia

This has come up in passing but Iíve seen no posts specifically addressing it.

For those who donít know, the word agoraphobia is derived from Greek words literally meaning "fear of the marketplace." The term is used to describe an irrational and often disabling fear of being out in public.

I lost my job in 2001 due to agoraphobia and have been disabled with it ever since. There was a time when I could not leave my home for anything, not even a trip to the emergency room when I fell down some stairs and broke my right foot. For 4 years I was homebound. Even going out to the mailbox in the dead of night was next to impossible. Everything was delivered, including groceries. It was pure hell.

Iím better now, able to live with someone else and even go to the grocery store in the late evening. Medication is used to treat the anxiety and panic aspects of the disorder but there are no specific meds to treat agoraphobia. The real cure has been to force myself back into the world, as difficult as that is.

Does anyone else suffer from this? If so, how are you handling the disability?

I've had some issues with this... I still do sometimes, but I get out to events with 10,000+ people, so it's not that big of a problem anymore.

My main proiblem i have is loud crowded bars and niteclubs.... I just don't like being bumped into. I guess that is why I DJ, I have my own "booth" and nobody enters it.

I suffer from this to an extent: going anywhere crowded can be difficult, and I struggle to do anything when I am not sure of an escape route. Frequently, I have trouble with public transport, and I struggled with going into shops or supermarkets for years. I find all the people and all the lights overwhelming. I've had panic attacks on buses or in classroom situations because I don't have my escape route planned. It's a very debilitating condition and I'm sorry you struggled with it.

Not many people truly need drugs to cope with various situations...

This is very true TygerLily, but as fmcasey mentioned there were no meds to treat Agoraphobia, i was merely asking if xanax did cause i thought it was for stuff like this

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    Doesn't Xanax help with this ?
    Any drug is bad for you, even things that help. It fucks with your body, and in 20 some years, we're going to find out that it has side effects like cancer or Alzheimer's.

On topic, I used to have this as a kid. Being with a lot of people is stressful for me even today, but so far, I've recovered without drugs. I just learned to not let people fuck with me like they used to when I was a kid. (I always thought that everybody was out to hurt me, so I never went anywhere.)

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    This is very true TygerLily, but as fmcasey mentioned there were no meds to treat Agoraphobia, i was merely asking if xanax did cause i thought it was for stuff like this
    Ah, Xanax is a drug that is routinely prescribed for anxiety and panic attacks, but the only real treatment for phobias is conditioning therapy, and even then it may not work.

(Note: This is how I usually feel about medications. I'm not lashing out at anybody. There are always less risky natural alternatives that I'm more comfortable with, considering my religion (pagan) and upbringing.

Xanax is an effective drug for the anxiety and panic attacks. (Clonazepam works well too.) I keep both on me whenever I go out even though I almost never use them when I'm out because they may affect my driving and I don't want to be impaired. (I was nearly killed by a drunk driver in 1993 so I'm zero-tolerant on the issue of impairment.)

Escape routes are a necessity for an agoraphobic. I must have an escape route when I go out. Even if it's as simple as walking out of a store, if I know there's an escape then it's easier to stay inside a public place. I really can't imagine taking public transportation. I wouldn't be able to cope with that, not at this stage anyway.

I have to take issue with NeiNei's assertion about any drug being bad for you. All drugs have side effects but that doesn't make them bad. If you suffer from a heart condition and need to take drugs then you take the drug to save your life. Saving lives is not a bad thing. I know some people who are unable to function without anti-depressants. Or they are suicidal without them. You have to weigh the benefits versus the risks. To say in a blanket statement that all drugs are bad is just ignorance in my opinion.

The fact is we don't know what the long-term ramifications are for many of these drugs but to think they might cause cancer or Alzheimer's is a stretch. In the case of cancer, we know what causes it for most people. Smoke, you die early. Drink, you die early. Alzheimer's is a different story, I'll grant you that, but if you're really worried about cancer then fight for clean air and water because you'll die from pollution long before side effects from beneficial drugs kills you.

My friends suffers from anxiety and she self-medicates with L-theanine, which is all natural...