Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC City Council Approves Bill to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

Default DC City Council Approves Bill to Allow Same-Sex Marriage

DC Gay Marriage Passes

Today, in Washington DC, the City Council approved with overwhelming support (11-2 vote) that would allow Same-Sex Marriage to be performed in Washington DC after being signed by its mayor, Adrian Fenty who already has shown support for it and would also have to go on Congressional Review in which the Democratic Majority will most likely not veto. As a bisexual Catholic, I really don't care about it that much but although I can never see myself in a long-term relationship with a man, I commend DC's actions in doing this as they are taking strides in Human Rights. What's your opinion?

I think the title needs to be changed to DC City Council and not DC Congress.

Yes there are quite a few DC city council must get approval from congress to implement, so this still might not be over with yet.

That is excellent news to hear, every time gay marriage is allowed, it is another step towards equality. I personally find it shameful that its taking this long.

Butterfly Mage

It's hard for me to get my hopes up. Every time an equality bill gets passed, the Christian Right comes in with a truckload of cash and a pack of lies, both resulting in the equality law getting overturned by the voters. The Christian Right has a 31:0 winning steak unfortunately, since they have perfected the art of fearmongering and deception.

For the record, I'm a Christian.

I think that it's absurd for a government to draw its laws based on those of any particular religion.

I think that, instead, governments should make laws based on natural law.

Natural law is based on just two rules: Do all you promise to do, and do not encroach on another person or on his or her property.

If two men get married to each other, I don't see how that is encroachment, seeing as they're both obviously quite happy with it.

Therefore, gay marriage should obviously be permitted by any sensible government.

<rant>Perhaps Christians should stop being assholes and take a different approach: stop acting like they're always right and insisting "join us or burn in hell." How in the world they hope to reach people and persuade them to become Christians themselves is completely beyond me. Lead by example and respect, not bigotry and ignorance.</rant>

Butterfly Mage

Unfortunately, for every 100 Christians, there are 29 that hold your view and 71 who think of us like subhuman abominations. And the Christian Right helped push a gay-extermination law in Uganda.