Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: self abuse

Default self abuse

People who actually are self harming usually want absolutely no attention, they find it as a form of release from everything going on in their head. and usually they do it without even thinking about it, wallpunchers are actually self mutilators.taking out there problems on themselves instead of other people

what is your opinion?

i threw my wallet through my door if that counts

i used to punch things to take out my anger which was more about hurting a random object instead of someone .. and even though i don't feel pain when im that angry .. i did hurt my self sometimes.
    Last edited by SquishyTushy; 16-Dec-2009 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by r4di0sensitive View Post
    People who actually are self harming usually want absolutely no attention, they find it as a form of release from everything going on in their head. and usually they do it without even thinking about it, wallpunchers are actually self mutilators.taking out there problems on themselves instead of other people

what is your opinion?
    This is true. Self harm for many people who do it is a coping strategy for dealing with things that have happened or that are happening to them. A lot of people label self harm as attention seeking, but this isn't very helpful. It is better to help people to deal with their problems, rather than criticising them for self harming.

Quote Originally Posted by dummydave View Post
    This is true. Self harm for many people who do it is a coping strategy for dealing with things that have happened or that are happening to them. A lot of people label self harm as attention seeking, but this isn't very helpful. It is better to help people to deal with their problems, rather than criticising them for self harming.
    then comes the whole 'emo' thing. in the begininning emo was a style of rock music typically characterized by melodic musicianship and expressive, often confessional lyrics. it's not really a subculture so much as something we label people who are more sensitive and emotionally outward. when did music become synonomus with self abuse?

LilLillyKitten

I used to cut... then I found drugs and cigarettes... and now I've found diapers. =P

It's nice to not hurt myself anymore. ^.^

Many types of self harm, such as self cutting, self bruising and harming oneself by taking mild overdoses tend to be seen as a symptom of various mental health disorders, including various kinds of depression, Borderline Personality Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Self harm is also an effective way of calming down or dealing with overwhelming emotions. Some people will self harm as a one-off thing because they are dealing with overwhelming pain, whereas other will do it repeatedly for a number of months, years or decades. I think occasionally self harm is used as a means of getting attention, but I don't necessarilly see this as a negative thing. Sometimes, harming yourself can be a way of saying Look how much I hurt, and I think if someone is really hurting that much, we should look.

I think there is a trend of self-harm becoming more popular and acceptable, particularly when it comes to cutting oneself. It's definitely possible to be inspired by those around you to cut yourself, so it makes sense that if one person sees someone cutting themselves, they may be inspired to do it too, although I think I'm simplifying this dramatically here. The 'emo' thing has been building up for years as far as I can see, and it just seems to have made the idea of self harm more widely known or mainstream, so more people are doing. I don't think it's that the 'music' is leading the trend, I think it's more that this kind of music appeals to people who harm themselves, or that through the 'emo' trend self-harm is becoming more mainstream.

In reality, though, people have self harmed for years.

One of the first times I had a panic attack in school, I was taken to a school nurse, who made me roll my sleeves up to take my blood pressure or check my pulse or something. I rolled my sleeves up, revealing an arm full of cuts. When this woman saw my arm, she drew in her breath sharply and said, "Oh my god. Darling, who did this to you?" Now, I don't think it would be a shock to her. Now, I think she would have known right away I was doing it to myself. She probably sees loads of teenagers with cuts now. It really has become much more mainstream since I was 13 or so. The young people I work with now talk to me about it frequently, but people I was in school with never mentioned it.

LilLillyKitten

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTushy View Post
    Ahw im gladd for you TygerLily i really am ^_^
    Hehe, thanks. =D I am too, even though I'm still kinda broken in some ways, but that's just a matter of time.

As for self-injury for attention... there was only one instance where I ever showed someone my cuts on purpose, and that was because they were harassing me; they never bothered me again. I didn't want anyone to know that I cut.

Some of the scars will never disappear... =/