Thread: writing about ABDLism for the non-ABDL world

Default writing about ABDLism for the non-ABDL world

When I finish up my bachelors next year, I plan on taking a year off before I go on to earn my masters. During this time, I've often entertained the idea of doing an ethnographic project on ABDLism (and probably, by association, some BDSM). I've found that a lot of people are aware of such nooks of our culture thanks to their display in the media, often driven by the humor or shock-value people see in them. But precisely because of this, I would want to put out something that takes the matter seriously and gives a view into the of world of diapers, adult babies, domination, and discipline that does not mock or deride it, but presents it in a way that the average person might understand. It would be to the ABDL community like what "Middlesex" or "Transamerica" was to the transgender/intersex community.

But when I think about this, I have to ask myself the question: do I want this to be sort of thing the average person might have a deeper awareness? At the same time that I would want to work towards acceptance, I have greatly benefited from the fact that ABDLism is so far on the fringe that most people would never expect it out of a person. Hence, if I get caught with a package of diapers in my room, my mom's first thought is going to be "he must be wetting the bed," not, "my son is an ABDL." The fact that it's just barely on other people's radars means that I have lot more wiggle room when it comes to hiding.
    But on the other hand, I would want my child to live in a world where she would not have to fear rejection from her parents should she discover that she is an ABDL. And, as much as I wouldn't want my parents to know about my being a DL, I would still want to live in a world where I can speak openly about being one without having to fear being laughed at and marginalized.

Then, there's also the problem of outing myself in the process of being vocal about ABDLism. But if it's the only way get the message out to the rest of the world, it might just be the most virtuous thing an ABDL can do.
    So what do you all think about the matter? All fantasies aside, would you actually be willing to make yourself more visible for the sake of making ABLDism more widely accepted? What are the merits and consequences you foresee in such an endeavor?

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I would still want to live in a world where I can speak openly about being one without having to fear being laughed at and marginalized.
    I honestly don't believe that will happen. To the majority of outsiders that are not a part of our lil "thing", we are not just laughable, but completely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by muira_wolf_pup View Post
    I honestly don't believe that will happen. To the majority of outsiders that are not a part of our lil "thing", we are not just laughable, but completely ridiculous.
    Notwithstanding, I want to strive towards the highest ideal, even if it never becomes anything other than an ideal.
    But just the same, I am rather hopeful. I mean, if you took someone who lived a completely heteronormative life and was never exposed to any sort of homosexuality, and then tried to explain to them the concept of a man sleeping with another man, I'm sure they'd find that pretty ridiculous, too. The same goes for anything sexual you aren't exposed much to. Sexuality in general is often the topic of humor, all the more so sexuality that's considered atypical.
    I feel confident that gradual exposure, over the course of a few generations, can elevate our status to at least "tolerable," if not borderline "acceptable."