Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The end of the decade

Talking The end of the decade

Soon it shall be the end of the Noughties, so it's question time!

What were the defining moments of this decade? Both for you personally, and your country (or the world!).

Post links to any interesting news paper articles about the occasion, like for instance this lovely 'top 100 things that defined the Noughties' picture:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...3_portrait.pdf
    (PDF)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8406898.stm (Scroll down for the top 100 in words)

What you will you think of when you look back on this decade?
    Edit:

Peachy

I read through it and only recognize a few things, mostly because the whole list is (obviously) geared at the British audience.
    Strangely enough, though, I do own an Oystercard and a Bag for Life. I'm not sure what they mean by "wind turbine"...it's windy enough as it is in England, why create more wind?

As for me...I'll let you know in roughly 10 years what I believe was the most important stuff in the 2000s ("Noughties"? Never heard that term before...ever. Sounds more like it's derived from "naughty").

Peachy

The noughties? Never heard it called that before.

Here's a list of my achievments during the 00's categorized by year:

2000 - I turned 9.
    2001- I turned 10
    2002 - I turned 11
    2003 - I turned 12
    2004 - I turned 13
    2005 - I turned 14
    2006 - I turned 15
    2007 - I turned 16
    2008 - I turned 17
    2009 - I turned 18, passed highschool, and went to college.

What will I remember about this decade?

Bush getting elected
    Cheney
    9/11
    Madrid
    London
    Bali
    Indonesia Tsunami
    Michael Phelps
    Bush re-elected
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Parents getting divorced
    College
    Graduating High School
    Learning to drive
    Stock Market collapse
    Obama

With a few exceptions, no wonder Time Magazine referred to this as the Decade from Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I read through it and only recognize a few things, mostly because the whole list is (obviously) geared at the British audience.
    Strangely enough, though, I do own an Oystercard and a Bag for Life. I'm not sure what they mean by "wind turbine"...it's windy enough as it is in England, why create more wind?
    Not create more wind, but harness its awesome power! A wind turbine is a windmill, like those white things they put on hills that spin around.
    Controversial things though: They're very 'green', but some people think they're an eyesore.

I choose a British list because I'm sure others will post more universal (or at least American) ones, and it's interesting to see what other's view as important. (Like Bags for Life for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    As for me...I'll let you know in roughly 10 years what I believe was the most important stuff in the 2000s ("Noughties"? Never heard that term before...ever. Sounds more like it's derived from "naughty").
    It comes from "Nought", which is a word for 0, just like "zero", "nil", "oh"...
    There's nothing naughty about the Noughties.

Ten things I'll remember from the noughties:

1. 9/11 world trade centre attacks
    2. Iraq war
    3. President Obama
    4. 7/7 bombings
    5. Boxing day Tsunami
    6. Recession
    7. My two trips to Florida
    8. My only admission to hospital (excluding birth)
    9. Moving to secondary school
    10. The millennium (you could argue all the hype fell at the end of the 90's, but the actual event was the start of the noughties)

This is not a defining moment for me personally as such... but I will remember 4th May 2008 for the moment that we (Stoke City) got promoted to the top flight of English football for the first time in 23 years. =)

Here's a video if you want to watch: YouTube - Stoke pitch invasion

Things I will remember include:

GCSE's (all A's at the crappest school in my area, pretty damn impressive)
    My first diaper
    England 5 Germany 1 (amazing match)
    Airport security becoming unbearably strict
    Attack on Glasgow airport
    Steve Mclaren aka the wally with the brolly and Fabio Capello
    just to name a few

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Not create more wind, but harness its awesome power! A wind turbine is a windmill, like those white things they put on hills that spin around.
    Controversial things though: They're very 'green', but some people think they're an eyesore.
    To be quite honest: I've gotten used to the sight of "wind turbines" here. According an early 2009 study, the federal state surrounding Bremen and taking up the entire northwest of Germany has 5049 wind power generators. They cover 8.5% of the entire power consumption in that state too. But then, Germany's northwest is always windy and flat like a stamp, so it's perfect territory.
    As for the term. They're officially called "Wind Power Generators" in German, but people tend to call them "Wind Wheels". A more accurate description than "turbines".

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I choose a British list because I'm sure others will post more universal (or at least American) ones, and it's interesting to see what other's view as important. (Like Bags for Life for example)
    I dunno. The plastic bag issue was never an issue here. I don't remember a time when we've ever received plastic bags for free in stores here, so you always had to pay for them as you do in some stores in England now. I'm used to bringing my own bags when I go shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    England 5 Germany 1 (amazing match)
    Well, that would explain this scribbling on the observation deck of Bremen's Cathedral:

(yes, that's my hand! )

Peachy