Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selective Service?

Default Selective Service?

Well I am going to be 18 in about a month and a half here. I was wondering, what do I have to do in terms of military service when I turn 18?Do I have to go to a recruitment center and sign up for the selective service, or do I just automatically get singed up when I turn 18?

My dad picked me up a form I had to sign from the post office. Just go down to one or call one up and ask them about it. After filling it and sending it in via snail mail, they will send you a paper card that you sign to verify you signed up for it, which I guess is a legal obligation.

Overall its easier then voting which itself is damn easy.

I was automatically signed up, I think. All I know is that I never filled out anything, and I haven't gotten anything saying I need to. Oh, and if you do go to sign up somewhere, make sure you read what you sign. You don't want to accidentally sign up for something.

Easiest thing to do is register online, more information can be found at the Selective Service website: Selective Service System: Fast Facts

There is a link on that page for online registration.

You will be required to sign up within a certain period of time after you turn 18. I am not sure how long you have but I would register as soon as possible afterward.
    I signed up on line, which is probably the easiest way. I believe you can also get a paper form at a Post Office.

Here's a link to the website where you can sign up:
    Selective Service System: Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I was automatically signed up, I think. All I know is that I never filled out anything, and I haven't gotten anything saying I need to. Oh, and if you do go to sign up somewhere, make sure you read what you sign. You don't want to accidentally sign up for something.
    They do not automatically sign anyone up. You have to sign up yourself by filling out a form and submitting it either online or by mail. You broke the law by not signing up, so you may want to sign up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yocky View Post
    You will be required to sign up within a certain period of time after you turn 18. I am not sure how long you have but I would register as soon as possible afterward.
    I signed up on line, which is probably the easiest way. I believe you can also get a paper form at a Post Office.

Here's a link to the website where you can sign up:
    Selective Service System: Welcome

They do not automatically sign anyone up. You have to sign up yourself by filling out a form and submitting it either online or by mail. You broke the law by not signing up, so you may want to sign up now.

Thanks for the info. Pojo you better get on that, we don't want you to go to the stockade, or hang for this, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yocky View Post
    They do when you get a license in some states.

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    They do when you get a license in some states.
    Indeed they do. Thirty-seven of them in fact.Though I would recommend everyone that needs to register to check that their state is on the list. Not registering with Selective Service can seriously impact your ability to qualify for student aid, as you will not be able to submit the FAFSA.

I signed up for selective service the day after I turned 18. I tried to enlist in the Navy when I was 19 but was turned away due to a physical disability. Not one day goes by where I don't wish I could serve, but I give thanks to those who do. If there are any active military members on here I just want to say thank you for your service!

Basically how selective service works is that if the draft is ever re-instated I guess it works like a lottery. If they call your number you're required to show up for service... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Well I am going to be 18 in about a month and a half here. I was wondering, what do I have to do in terms of military service when I turn 18?Do I have to go to a recruitment center and sign up for the selective service, or do I just automatically get singed up when I turn 18?
    1. Some times its done in schools Govt. Class

2. You get signed up for SS when you register to vote

3. you can just get a form