Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Growing out your hair (guys)

Default Growing out your hair (guys)

Hey everybody,
    So I have decided to grow out my hair. My whole life I have had short spikey hair but I love long hair. I love to play with it and run my hands through it.

I have started to grow out my hair (3 months without a cut but it was realy short to start with) and need advice / support to stick with it.

I have been wearing a hat for about a month solid because I couldn't do anything with it but have now started to go without and I feel confident enough that I can be in public without one.
    I'm just passing the awkward "lesbian / mom's home haircut" stage and can push it back and it stays "slicked" back (I try to not use product)

Has anybody done this before? any tips?

I'll try to post before and current pics so you can judge how it's going and offer suggestions.

Valence

Just remember, long hair needs to be washed basically every day. Don't mean to sound like a nagging parent there but thats what most people growing out their hair forget. Myself (although my hair is short-ish now.) and a lot of irl friends included, and I've even noted quite a few passers-by in the street that had seemed to had forgotten. Any indication of grease in long hair whatsoever kind of ruins any 'look' you were aiming for. And it will most likely get very greasy very easily.

I was on accutane 1 year and 9 months ago, which pretty much killed my scalps ability to produce oil, so for the first time I got to grow my hair out as long as I wanted, and haven't looked back. My hair is hovering quite nicely around the foot and a half mark and I do love it.

I'm a girl O.o

But don't penalise me for that.

I know you're trying to grow your hair, but it's important to get it trimmed every 6 weeks.

It removes dead hair and allows the new stuff to grow. It will grow quicker.

Also, I wouldn't say to wash your hair every day.

I'd say once every two days would suffice.

Also, try different shampoos that don't leave your hair feeling heavy.

It's about finding products you're comfortable with.

*has short hair, but it used to touch my bum*

Also. I love long hair on guys. My boyfriend has long hair

Quote Originally Posted by Nonabean View Post
    I know you're trying to grow your hair, but it's important to get it trimmed every 6 weeks.

It removes dead hair and allows the new stuff to grow. It will grow quicker.
    Every article on the internet i have read about this says to never trim your hair if you are trying to grow it out.

Plus Hair is dead, it grows from the root under the skin, the hair that you see is dried up keratin and pigment.

You can't speed up cellular division (realistically) so there is no way that trimming your hair will make it grow any quicker. It actually slows it down because you are removing length. Hair grows on average about 1/2 inch a month so that's 6 inches a year.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I can't with good conscious let misinformation go uncorrected

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

I also agree on not washing every day. doing that strips away the natural oils that your hair needs to defend itself from all the crap the world throws at it.
    and besides... your hair always looks the best the day after you wash it

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More : NPR

Yeah, you do sound like a jerk.
    But whatever.
    Cutting off the split ends allows your hair to grow. Faster.
    To not cut it means you have a head of damaged hair.

But I mean, I must be wrong, I don't have 2 hairdressers in my family at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonabean View Post
    Also, I wouldn't say to wash your hair every day.

I'd say once every two days would suffice.
    This. Mine's in a ponytail a good 6-8" below my shoulders, and I get away with washing it every other day. Primarily because I'm too lazy to wash it daily >.<

I found that it took a good two years before I could sensibly tie mine back, which gave me two years of dubious hair Too long to look decent, yet too short to look any good, too. Plus, my hair gets curly/wavey once it's more than a few inches long, which doesn't exactly help it look good...

I've never bothered trimming it with any regularity - just cut a few inches off the end whenever it's got too long & annoying - but I can't say either way whether doing so has helped or hindered its length.

I had long hair for 4 years. It needs to be trimed about once a month just to cut off the dead ends. Wash it everyday, and check and see if you can find a shampoo that will help with hair growth.

Jeffy

I'm letting my hair grow out finally (because my parents wouldn't let me when I was living at home) I just wash it every day, blow-dry it, and straighten it (cause if I don't it gets a little out of control and HUGE! My hair get's thick as hell, almost to the point its unmanageable.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
    I'm letting my hair grow out finally (because my parents wouldn't let me when I was living at home) I just wash it every day, blow-dry it, and straighten it (cause if I don't it gets a little out of control and HUGE! My hair get's thick as hell, almost to the point its unmanageable.
    My hair gets really thick too! But it's naturally straight as can be, so I'm awesome like that.

I can finally grow my hair out, since I'm allowed to have long hair at work now.

So I'ma just let it grow and see what happens. (I already happen to take good care of it and such. )