Thread: When Will Another American Diaper Company Step Up?

Lightbulb When Will Another American Diaper Company Step Up?

I've got to say ever since my ab/dlism started to bloom, I tried all sorts of diapers. My first ones that I bought were the old walgreens back in early 2000's. I thought they were awesome back in the day. Then some months later I tried Walmart Assurance and they were ok. Then I realized they were made by Depend. I didn't have a credit/debit card back then so I was stuck with these in store brands. I started to explore other pharmacies in town. I kept finding depends everywhere. I wanted something more to match the thickness of my teenage trashbag and towel routine. I kept searching and one day I went and ordered a sample pack from HDIS. They had a bill me later system. I was able to try like 10 kinds of diapers. When I got them there was Depend too but they also had Tranquility, Attend, Kendall, Another Depend knockoff Tena, and Molicare which at the time everyone was about Molicare. Boy were these awesome. Then after that I found a store in my area that sold Tena. I was happy for awhile. I didn't care for the cloth on them but they were way better than Depend. Until I finally got my hands on a debit card I was able to buy online but I was too worried about the package being delivered in the wrong hands. To this day I still worry bout that I find it easier to buy in stores. Also not having to wait a week for them to come in.

I just wish that another diaper company should step up and compete with Depend in stores. Depend marks up their price for no reason other than "Haha we can raise our prices cause we are the only one in stores people don't have another choice!". I also don't like paying so much for shipping. If another brand would step up and go on to store shelves they would thrive. Especially if the had a wide selection like Abena. Abena could easily take over. Even Tranquility. When will they realize that they could easily compete?

kitty0230

there just isn't a big enough market for diapers, in reality, most people who need them order by the case online. So it doesnt make business sense. you see, selling at a store is expensive, because you have what is called overhead, paying employees, rent and other utilities ect for the physical store. that is the reason diapers in stores are so expensive, and no body wants to put decent ones in stores.

Mesmerale

You should do it!

I see what you're saying I'm just saying Depends aren't very dependable at all. I know about the shelf cost and all. Stores like Walmart shouldn't have much of shelf cost. If I could open up a store, I would obviously bring more choices for a lot of things. It's like having one and only electric company. Rates don't mean a thing to them, cause its like do you want power or not. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    It's like having one and only electric company. Rates don't mean a thing to them, cause its like do you want power or not. *sigh*
    As unfortunate as that might seem, he's soooo right. That's the perfect comparison.

Back when I first started wearing diapers in 1996, you had Attends out there as well as Depends. You used to be able to find Attends at the store alongside Depends, and I liked Attends better than Depends. Depends have never fit me good. So, that is why now, I order my diapers off the internet. Much easier and more private.

I have noticed that since 2000, you see just Depends in the stores. Some stores, may have Tena products, but not the diapers we want.

Depends just plain suck balls. I avoid them like the plague, given being stuck with depends or not wearing, I would rather not wear a diaper that won't fit someone of my size and leaks after two wettings.

Back in the day, I always picked Attends rather than Depends.

WildThing121675

I see what you're saying I'm just saying Depends aren't very dependable at all. I know about the shelf cost and all. Stores like Walmart shouldn't have much of shelf cost. If I could open up a store, I would obviously bring more choices for a lot of things. It's like having one and only electric company. Rates don't mean a thing to them, cause its like do you want power or not. *sigh*
    But alas it isn't. Electronics are bought by most people, and there is huge market and competition. Incontinence products are not, so when such a big company with a cheap product that can be sold to retailers at a low price, and then sold to the consumer with high profit margins, why would big stores want to stock anything else?

I think we're quite lucky that there are the number of brands that there are, even if the internet is the only way to purchase. You've got to remember that the AB/DL community is tiny, and also quite closed off to the wider public. People with incontinence aren't too likely to make too much of a fuss about what the big stores stock - it's a very embarrassing ailment, so who would want to go on a wild goose chase against something that might not happen?

I agree with your sentiment, but there isn't the market, nor sufficient demand. I think the best thing to do is simply to wait until you are able to order off the internet, and be thankful that such products do exist. That's what I'm doing, and I'm looking forward to it and making do with what I can get locally.

I see what you're saying I'm just saying Depends aren't very dependable at all. I know about the shelf cost and all. Stores like Walmart shouldn't have much of shelf cost.
    If Walmart thought they could make more money buy bringing in a better selection of adult diapers they would. But most people who buy them on a regular basis don't buy them from regular stores. They buy them from medical supply stores that have little shelf cost because everything is kept in the back except samples. Or through mail order or online with no shelf cost. Or have them sent over by their insurance company. Any of these sources gives you better diapers which usually cost less than Depends at a retail store. I would guess that the main purchasers at regular stores are people that just don't know better and with the internet that group is shrinking everyday.

And it's unlikeley any other adult diaper company want to pay for a multi million dollar advertising campaign like Depends or Tena has. Compair the cost of Goodnights to store brand adult overnight pullups that have twive as much material and you will see how advertising can drive the price up.

This whole thread makes me realize how lucky I am to live a few blocks away from a store that carries several brands of adult diapers. They have Depends, but the also have Prevail and Select Brand. Select Brand is the only one I've tried and I'm not sure if prevail is any good, but I guess I'm lucky to live close to a store like that.