Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate-friendly mobility

Peachy

Default Climate-friendly mobility

The Copenhagen Climate Conference started yesterday, so it's time for us to check on what we do and can do to make the world a better place for our children (God, I sound like a Michael Jackson song). So let's start with a topic everyone can contribute to - mobility!

How do you get around? How do you get to school/uni/work, friends, shopping?

A few questions to consider:

(1) Do you own a car, or have access to one? If so, what kind of car is it?
    (2) Do you own a bicycle?
    (3) What is the public transit system like near you? How far's the next stop? How often is it served? (if you don't know, this would be a good time to find out!)
    (4) What is your primary mode of transport to get to school/work/uni or wherever you need to go daily.
    (5) How do you determine which mode of transport you will use when you leave the house and want to go to certain places?
    (6) Are you willing to change your mobility habits to make them more climate-friendly? If so, where are you willing to compromise?

So...let's see how ADISC gets around!

Peachy
    (who will reply after the first initial replies to avoid the auto-merge feature messing up this carefully crafted and layed out post )

No car, never had one, won't have one for a long time. I have a good bike and it gets used every day. Toronto's public transit is top notch. Buses come every ten minutes, and most of them are hyrbreds. I pretty much use my bike any time I need to get somewhere an hour away or less. After that I take the bus or go in a friend's car if any of them have access.

And no, I don't plan on changing my mobility habits to become more climate friendly. I don't think it's possible.

(1) I don't own a car, but I do drive an old Subaru. 1988 is the year. Gas mileage is great for a car its age. I also drive a scooter when there's no ice on the roads. I just stopped riding today, actually. Too slippery. It's a Honda Metropolitan 2006, and it gets 108 mpg.
    (2) I do own a bicycle.
    (3) The public transit system STINKS. The bus system doesn't run in my town. It goes to Salt Lake City (30 miles away) and back. So in town, it is more practical, more climate-friendly, and cheaper for me to drive around in my scooter or carpool in my subaru with friends.
    (4) Well, I used to drive my scooter, but now because of the snow and ice, I walk to class. Campus is right across the street, and it's small, so it takes me less than 15 minutes to get to any of my classes.
    (5) The weather is a big one. If it's way too cold and I need to go far, then I drive. But if the weather is hot and I'm not going out of town, I ride my bike. If I need to get somewhere fast and it's hot, then I take my scooter.
    (6) I think I have, haha. I don't take the car out if I can help it, and even then, I usually carpool.

1) Yes, I own a car. It's a VW Jetta TDI. It gets 40+ mpg (5.9 L/100Km). So thats something.
    2) Yep. I ride it all the time. I wish I could ride to work, but the safety people say that I can't.
    3)Nonexistent. I wish that weren't so. When I lived in Japan, there was no where I needed a car to get to. I miss that.
    4)Car. Unfortunately. But I'm seriously considering getting a scooter to go back and forth to work on.
    5) Mostly depends on where I'm going. If I'm going to the gym, I'll ride my bike. Anywhere else, sadly, I must go by car.
    6)Absolutely. Unfortunately, I just don't see where I can compromise. I already do as little driving as possible, I combine trips where I can, I drive to save fuel (i.e. no jack rabbit starts, no speeding) If there were such a thing as public transit, I'd definitely take it, but that just isn't an option out here in the boondocks.

(1) Yes I own a car. Its a Honda Civic.

(2) Yes but I haven't to touched it in like 5 years.

(3) Minnesota's got a OK public transit program. We got buses and a lite rail, but those things really do not address the needs of commuters coming from the suburbs. Also my University has a free (although considering how much a pay to go to this university nothing really can considered free) busing service for students that need to get to different campuses.

(4) Car. Its the only real way to get around the suburbs in America. Also its Minnesota so I'm not going biking in -10F(-23C) if I biked.

(5) I see car I drive car.

(6) ....................................No.

For the most part, I don't use any transport whatsoever!

I specifically chose to live where I do so that I can walk to university, the supermarket, the cinema and the town centre easily.
    The only time I use transport is when I go home when I'm not at university, which I do either by train, by car (when I have move a lot of stuff), or by half train and half car.

Sometimes we get taxis late at night. Personal safety is more important that greeness.

In a weird way I'm as climate-friendly, in mobility at least, as I could possibly be! Bar walking home 26 miles on the canal, wearing a massive rucksack, instead of getting a train.

I can't drive so I don't own a car, but my mum occasionally gives me a lift in hers. She drives a VW Golf.

Not any more. I used to cycle pretty much everywhere.

(3) What is the public transit system like near you? How far's the next stop? How often is it served? (if you don't know, this would be a good time to find out!)
    People often moan around here how bad the buses are, but I disagree. I can get to almost anywhere in my city by bus from two stops that are 100 and 250 yards away, which are served by buses every 10 minutes and every 20 minutes respectively (no, I didn't have to look that up).

(4) What is your primary mode of transport to get to school/work/uni or wherever you need to go daily.
    I use the bus because I enjoy it.

(5) How do you determine which mode of transport you will use when you leave the house and want to go to certain places?
    If I can make the journey by bus, I will. If it's not too far I will walk (less than 2 miles, as a rule). If I'm running late I will ask my mum for a lift, or if I'm offered one I don't usually say no.

(6) Are you willing to change your mobility habits to make them more climate-friendly? If so, where are you willing to compromise?
    Yes. I will use a bicycle when I get one again, but that's just because I enjoy cycling. I'd like to have a car and be able to drive, but if I did I still think I would use the bus, but that's just because I like buses.

If I can walk where I need to be in under an hour - and I can for all my regular destinations - that's what I do. I enjoy walking, it's good exercise, it's free and I listen to music/podcasts/audiobooks if I'm on my own or talk to whoever I'm walking with if I'm not. If I can't walk I get the bus (or the train if it's a long journey). The service is fairly decent and regular and I've never had any complaints.

I don't have a bike and haven't ridden one for years and I will only get a car if and when it becomes necessary.

(1) I have an old Mercedes, it gets decent gas mileage, but I don't drive it all over.
    (2) Have a bicycle, rarely touch the thing.
    (3) The public transit here needs improvement. It's shitty (it's actually called SCAT.) The buses are hybrids, and they all have bike racks, but the routes and schedules make it impossible for me to get to/from my office during normal business hours.
    (4) I ride a motorcycle to work and around whenever possible.
    (5) The weather is a factor, and what cargo is involved.
    (6) If the routes and timetables were improved, I would use public transit more often.

Yes, a '02 Impala. It get about 22 MPG normally but now that i only drive in the city its down to about 12

Yes, but i rarely ride it.

There are three separate bus services near campus, the university buses (which I drive)are free. they stop everywhere about every ten minutes so that's pretty good.

I Usually walk unless I have to work really early or late.

Usually just walk unless im in a hurry or it's really early in the morning.

I should ride my bike more but it's getting cold. I'll start that when it starts to warm up. otherwise i only go through a tank of gas in a month so I do pretty good i think.