Thread: SAT this weekend

Default SAT this weekend

Well since I bombed on the ACT(17) I decided to take the SAT maybe I'll do better and have some hope of getting accepted to some college somewhere. What is the SAT like, I hear it is more common sense and on the spot thinking than anything else. Are there any of you that did bad on the ACT that did much better on the SAT?

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Well since I bombed on the ACT(17) I decided to take the SAT maybe I'll do better and have some hope of getting accepted to some college somewhere. What is the SAT like, I hear it is more common sense and on the spot thinking than anything else. Are there any of you that did bad on the ACT that did much better on the SAT?
    I only took the SAT, so I really cannot add terribly much here except for the following:
    1. The "practice" ACT that I *did* take reasonably accurately mapped my later SAT score;
    2. The two exams are--or at least were--comparable and have (had) good psychometric properties.

Most importantly, do the following: get a full night's sleep every day from now until the exam; study a few vocabulary words a day from now until then; review a couple concepts from math courses from now until the exam; relax and just focus on getting there on time.

If you don't know what you're doing, a few days of cramming won't help you. If you do, you need to get your sleep on in preparation for the exam. You'll also want to do aerobic training for the next 3 days for at least half an hour a day.

The Aristocrats.

I took the ACT and did decent on it, but I've always heard the SAT is much more difficult. Just prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best. That's what I've always done when it comes to taking tests.

I took it four times... my mom made me do it the first two and last time. I did raise my scores a bit this time, but not by that much, since they were already pretty good.

As an 'experienced individual', I can say that you definitely need sleep. Bring something non-caffeinated that will help your brain stay awake. You do extremely well early on and then as it drags on your lost interest/focus in the exam and that's where you lose most of your points. I found fruits worked best, as well as water.

I took both, and scored at pretty close to the same percentile - I did a little better on the ACT and probably would have even better if I'd taken another practice ACT or two to get down my pacing.

The SAT is harder, but you get slightly more time per problem. The ACT doesn't make any real attempt to "trick" you on harder problems by giving problems where the answer isn't the most obvious one, whereas the SAT does.

I recommend checking out the most recent edition of "Ten real SATs" from your local library - it's the study guide that the College Board itself puts out, and it's practice tests are actual tests so the formatting, difficulty, and scoring scale is spot on. I have seen other SAT study guides' practice tests where I felt that some of the questions were ambiguous or formatted poorly and the scoring scale was very general. Make the time to do at least 1, preferably 2 full practice tests under the proper time constraints - this will help you get your pacing down and get a feel for the formatting - I would guess that it will probably add ~30-50 points to your overall score and bring your anxiety level down two notches.