Thread: Old Sci Fi

Default Old Sci Fi

Hey, my friend loves sci fi, so i figured I would surprise them with a really old nostalgic sci fi book. This is my friends "secret" so thats why I am substituting they instead of a he or she. They said they have read some Jules Verne, but it isn't their favorite. So, who can recommend a good sci fi book. I was looking to get them a very old one, like maybe something written in the 19th century. But really any suggestions are welcome. So, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Two obvious ones: HG Wells - The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds

Just a warning: Old scifi tends to have long explanations on concepts modern people are familiar with (The Time Machine spends ages explaining what a time machine actually is), including some that have become reality (Satellites, mobile phones, computers, etc.)

I don't know any sci-fi from the 19th century... How about a writer from the mid-20th century? Isaac Asimov is excellent. His stories are very clever, very intelligently written. It's a little odd (but also cool), because a lot of the inventions in his stories are a reality today. A number of his stories are subtly philosophical and probe the relationship between humans and machines.

I would recommend grabbing an anthology of his short stories (such as this: Isaac Asimov: The Complete Stories, Vol. 1 (9780385416276): Isaac Asimov: Books).

Does it have to be a book? you could probably get a box set of scifi movies from the 50's and 60's from TCM.

Try they have a nice selection of books and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    Two obvious ones: HG Wells - The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds
    Aww you took my idea, o well i have a few other ones.

Enders game by Orson Scott Card (1985)
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov (1951)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)
    Out of the silent planet by CS Lewis (1938)
    The Invisible Man by HG Wells (1897)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Snap View Post
    Ray Bradbury should be included in your search as well.
    Fahrenheit 451 was freaking awesome, movie not so much.

Nah, my friend only really likes to read sci fi, not watch it. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming please, haha.

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Princess of Mars (and if he likes it, the other 10 books in the series). If memory serves, the first book was written around 1912.

If you want to check it out, its in text format at, as are a lot of books that old. Expired copywright, public domain.