Thread: Got a New Book Today

Default Got a New Book Today

I bought the book The Republicby Plato it also includes his other essays The Symposium
    Parmenides
    Euthyphro
    Apology
    Crito
    Phaedo

S, has anyone ever read any of these works? They seem really interesting, especially if you are like me and into Philosophy and Political Science.

I read much of it when I was in college. I used it to write a term paper for Political Science, believe it or not. It was not an easy read, that's for sure, but it was very interesting.

302: Well I guess that literature is not overrated after all. I just think that I should be reading more but will prefer to be on this site.

Because my reading for my coursework tends to be quite heavy. I more enjoy reading a nice Jodi Picoult during my spare time

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I bought the book The Republicby Plato it also includes his other essays The Symposium
    Parmenides
    Euthyphro
    Apology
    Crito
    Phaedo

S, has anyone ever read any of these works? They seem really interesting, especially if you are like me and into Philosophy and Political Science.
    Yes.

Check out his "divided line" analogy; I think it's in Phaedo.

Also be aware that "Apology" does not mean there what we construe that word to mean. It has Greek origins, and hopefully the text you have will explain this (I assume it's an annotated translation).

Plato's a nice starting point of structured inquiry and examination. If you're into philosophy and political science, you should see a lot in there you'll like.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Yes.

Check out his "divided line" analogy; I think it's in Phaedo.

Also be aware that "Apology" does not mean there what we construe that word to mean. It has Greek origins, and hopefully the text you have will explain this (I assume it's an annotated translation).

Plato's a nice starting point of structured inquiry and examination. If you're into philosophy and political science, you should see a lot in there you'll like.
    I love philosophy and political science. And nope it isn't a translated version, it is all in Greek. I started reading The Republic and I must say it is a bit difficult, but good.