View Poll Results: Should Medicinal Marijuana be prescribed to chidren with ADHD?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is a viable option

7 22.58%
  • No, it is a horrible idea

19 61.29%
  • Unsure/Other

5 16.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicinal Marijuana Prescribed to ADHD Kids in CA

Default Medicinal Marijuana Prescribed to ADHD Kids in CA

Medicinal Marijuana prescribed for ADHD kids

When I saw this headline, I was thinking wtf. Although this is thought to be a good solution, and this is in California where the medicinal marijuana lawas are most leniant, I still disagree marijuana of any kind to children. What's your take on this?

I don't have a problem with marijuana but I do agree with you about giving it to children, don't think that's a good idea.

Same shit, different drug.

If medical marijuana has been found to have a positive effect on children with ADHD while also having very few of the negative effects of Ritalin or whatever other amphetamines, I see no reason it should'nt be used. It's stupid to oppose it just because it's marijuana and has been taboo for so long.

Logic of irrational taboos, people.
    Last edited by Chillhouse; 25-Nov-2009 at 04:09.

There are a lot better medications than pot for being ADHD. Besides, some kids would have trouble smoking and inhaling. I don't believe I ever smoked any weed that wasn't burning hot. I often wondered what I was doing to my lungs.

It seems ironic because being ADHD is a control problem. When I smoked pot, I often lost control. Sometimes I would hallucinate and completely freak out. I mean, that was the whole point, so you give a kid some weed, make him scorch his lungs, and then get him tripping out of his mind.

And now class, turn your math book to page 103.
    (me): "Yeah, fuck that shit."
    Teacher: "Mr. dogboy, to the principal's office!"
    Me: "Hahahahahahah.......I can't stop...hahahaha...honestly. Oh my God!!!!!....everybody's looking....make them stop....make them stop.....

Well, it's not as hard on the liver as the usual ADHD medication. Plus, I figure if a doctor prescribes it, that's between the doctor and the patient (or in this case, doctor/parent).

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    There are a lot better medications than pot for being ADHD. Besides, some kids would have trouble smoking and inhaling. I don't believe I ever smoked any weed that wasn't burning hot. I often wondered what I was doing to my lungs.
    A smart person would vaporize the weed before inhaling (heating the marijuana without burning it), or eat it, thus negating the effects of inhaling burning plant matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    It seems ironic because being ADHD is a control problem. When I smoked pot, I often lost control. Sometimes I would hallucinate and completely freak out. I mean, that was the whole point, so you give a kid some weed, make him scorch his lungs, and then get him tripping out of his mind.
    I doubt they'd give a kid that much weed. If they do, that's just messed up.

I don't know. I hadn't heard of it being tried on children with ADHD, but I have heard of it being tried with children with autism. There was a whole thing on it on ABC today: Mother Gives Son Marijuana To Treat His Autism - ABC News.

Personally, while I do believe there is some potential for this drug to help a person with these symptoms, this seems like something I wouldn't really recommend unless it was basically a last resort. A lot of the symptoms they are seeking to cure here with pot can actually be better cured through Occupational Therapy. That's what worked for me, and thousands of other people with these sorts of disorders.

They are trying, in some extent, to relax the nervous system from its usually tense state as these children are overwhelmed in their environment. As someone with this problem myself, I would always recommend Occupational Therapy before even thinking about mentioning good ole' Mary Jane. Then again, I'm a fan of anything you can do to help yourself that doesn't involve some sort of chemical being introduced into your body with 'who knows what' as the side effects.

Nice thread here, but I'm overall unsure about this.

Edit: I think there needs to be a lot more research conducted before any plan of action should be taken on a state legislative level.

If it works, and it's safe, why not? I don't understand why people react so badly to marijuana, yet they give their kids methamphetamines when they are prescribed Ritalin and Adderall! Like it's a whole lot safer, just because it has an FDA-approved label on it. If studies can show that marijuana is not any more dangerous than current ADHD drugs on the market, then it should be an option. IMO, of course.

This is a pathetic idea, i don't see why the hell scientists can't simply put more energy into creating something better than Ritalin. I mean is it so hard to create some kind of drug that simply crushes all excitement and anger in children?