Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reading = Under appreciated?

Default Reading = Under appreciated?

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I really feel like books are very underappreciated by our generation. I read pretty often, mostly only in school though. I think it makes you smarter, and the story a book tells is usually much greater than that of a movie.

Though I have to say I think most of the issue is that people just haven't been exposed to books or novels that actually interest them, so if you're one of those reading haters, allow me to make some suggestions that I really enjoyed in no particular order(I don't know most of the authors names, sorry):

-A Hole in the Sky
    -Can't Get There From Here
    -The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice (This is a bit of a harder read than the books i've listed so far)
    -The Alchemist
    -The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel

Anyway, theres some I can think of right now. As for those of you that enjoy reading as I do, what are some of your favorites?

I have always enjoyed reading and am always slightly confused by the people who say they don't really read. Literature has always been very important to me, and it confuses me that people would so willingly neglect a world not only full of knowledge but also humour, adventure and moments of grace. I also find that literature is one of the few things that can give us a very immediate sense of the past.

Some things I have been reading lately: 'A Word Child' by Iris Murdoch; 'A Picture of Dorian Grey' by Oscar Wilde; 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters; 'Mother Night' by Kurt Vonnegut. I have also been rereading 'Northern Lights' by Philip Pullman, 'A Wizard of Earthsea' by Ursula Le Guin and 'For Esme-With Love and Squalor' by J.D. Salinger (this last is called 'Nine Stories' in the US: I am not sure why UK publishers chose to change the title).

I also read a lot of poetry, but this may not be the place to start banging on about that. Though poetry, like kink, is nothing to be ashamed of.

It's hard to see behind all my junk, but I love books:

The shelves are completely full, and I have quite a few in boxes, or lent out to others, as well. I find reading wonderful, and used to go through 2-5 books per week, but lately I'm lucky if I get one done in a couple weeks. I'm just super busy and can't find the time between school, work, and my social life.

Couldn't agree more. Reading is home to one of the biggest music festivals in the country, lies at confluence of two lovely rivers, and is a fine commercial centre for the region. It might be fashionable to mock it and we all know that such luminaries as Thomas Hardy and Jerome K. Jerome painted a rather bad light of it in their works, but that was a long time ago and I'm sure it's a thriving cosmopolitan area these days. Certainly it deserves a little appreciation.

...wait, you meant reading, the activity rather than Reading, the county town of Berkshire, didn't you? Oh, well that's good too.

(Sorry )

I love For Esme-With Love and Squalor. I also enjoyed Fishing for Bananfish, not to mention Franny and Zooey, and Raise High the Roof-beam, Carpenter.

I read alot online but I don't read alot of books but the ones that I have read I love.

The Outsiders
    That was then, This is now
    Freak The Mighty
    Alex Rider 1-7

That's all I can call off hand.

I am not a very committed reader since I only read books I am obliged to read. However, I am really enjoying William Faulkner's Light In August. In 9 chapters, it pretty much has everything ranging from false identity, to prostitution to murder and arson, to another murder!

Quote Originally Posted by Higher Than Hope View Post
    I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I really feel like books are very underappreciated by our generation. I read pretty often, mostly only in school though. I think it makes you smarter, and the story a book tells is usually much greater than that of a movie.

I've covered this ad-vomit-all-over-myself-um, so I won't rehash it again.

Dammit. Okay, one thing I WILL say is that it's telling that slave owners wouldn't permit their property to learn to read. Because, you know, that would imbue them with humanity and give them "ideas." Then, God forbid, they might actually become free. There's a great anecdote (I've seen secondary sources, I need to find the diary and source directly) about Frederick Douglas writing in his diary that the mistress of the house was teaching him to read, but stopped when her husband told her that "nothing will spoil a good nigger faster than reading." I think the message is plain, compelling, and true.

Though I have to say I think most of the issue is that people just haven't been exposed to books or novels that actually interest them[...]
    It seem more an issue that they might find something that is very slightly outside of the specifically and willfully engineered experience they seem to enjoy. Meaning, it might not be EXACTLY reflective of their thinking--and this is a generation that seems threatened by anything other than an echo-chamber.

As for me, I would recommend Connections, by James Burke (out of print, but you can find a used/library copy easily enough). It's brilliant--especially when you realize that the odd things that happen from time to time in the subtext of the pages is in fact Burke having a good time (and not, as I was wondering until I saw his PBS series by the same name, snobbery or aloofness)--and is an example of a book that says a lot in a very small space, and does it brilliantly.

Oh, and Malcolm Gladwell's Blink is nice too. Nothing new in that book, but it's great when assembled into a single book as Gladwell did.

*glances at her book shelf*

Here we go... And if I can remember it, or it has graced itself with its presence on my bookshelf, it's a favorite of mine.

The Young Wizard Series (8 or 9 books, I believe)
    Darren Shan Saga (12 books)
    The Inheritance Quartet (4 books. No way!)
    Maximum Ride Series (4 or 5 books, I believe)
    Artemis Fowl Series (5 books?)
    Deltora Quest Series (8 books)
    Deltora Shadowlands Quartet (1 of 4 books)
    Dragon's of Deltora Quartet (3 of 4 books)
    Circle of Magic Quartet (4 books)
    The Circle Opens Quartet (4 books)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour Series (6 books)
    Midnighters Series (3 books)
    Children of the Lamp Series (2 of however-many books)
    Harry Potter Series (7 books )
    The Bartimaeus Trilogy (3 books, wow!)
    The Chronicles of Narnia (7 books?)
    His Dark Materials Trilogy (3 books)
    The Hunger Games Trilogy (2 books, so far)
    The Ender Series (8, 9, or 10 books)
    Invasive Procedures
    Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique
    The Feast of the Trickster
    ~~~~ End of Bookshelf, Beginning of Memory and School Reading ~~~~
    13 Reasons Why
    Catcher in the Rye
    Jane Eyre (Hate it...)
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    The Great Gatsby
    Slaughter-House Five
    The Epic Trilogy (No idea what it's really called... 3 books. Epic, Saga, and Edda/Move)
    Magic Lessons
    The Magic Tree House Series (23 (roughly) books out of 35+ ^_^)

~~~~ And a vast number more that I simply cannot remember. ~~~

Oh, yes! I love the Crank series!
    And I totally understand what you mean.

Back before I switched back to the Alternative School I go to, I was in a place called the S.T.E.P. program, which is where you go when you've been rejected pretty much everywhere else. When I was in this program, I was in a class called Read 180. At the beginning in the year, we all took a test to see what our reading levels were. In the class of 13 students, I got the second highest score, and I was one of the youngest in the class...the only person younger than me was a freshman. They switched me out into the advanced reading program, and even then, looking at the people and seeing that they were mostly punks and people who are only going to school because they have to, I knew that even then I could probably read better than most of them, in a class of 7 people.

That post...seriously just inflated my ego. Sorry about that.
    Also, thanks for that book list! Now I know what I should read...I've been having trouble coming up with books that I could possibly read, and this helps a lot.