Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: teen behavior

daria7483

Default teen behavior

I've had a couple of rather bad run-ins with teens lately, and honestly, I'm baffled. I'm trying to figure out if what I've witnessed is typical of teens, if they will grow out of it and become nice, productive people with social skills, and if the teens on here who generally seem so intelligent and well-spoken on these threads are really like this in real life, and why there's such a difference.

So the first incident was last weekend. I went home for Easter, and on Saturday my mom and I went ice-skating at the local rink, something we used to do when I was a kid and that I really enjoy. For the first couple of hours, everything was fine. There was a group of teens there and occasionally one of them would do something annoying/stupid but nothing that was any big deal.

However, towards the end of the public session, the rink monitor who was keeping an eye on things on the ice decided to wander off since there weren't that many people left, and pretty soon these teens got really rowdy, mostly doing stuff like scooping up the ice and throwing it at each other and scraping their skates down in the ice to make more snow to throw around. Which is a big no-no - the Zamboni can't fill those holes, and it creates tripping hazards for other skaters. But other than that, it wasn't that they were doing anything horrible or dangerous. It was just annoying and immature and disruptive to the rest of us who were still trying to skate. But I didn't want to seem like the uptight asshole-ish adult who can't have any fun, so I didn't say anything.

The second incident was more unsettling, I think. I was asked at work to organize a field trip for a group of high school students interested in a particular career field that I work in. They were going to come to my organization and spend a couple of hours getting a tour and hearing from people who did what they wanted to do. So, this was scheduled for yesterday, and the students came. I was warned that these kids were not advanced students and that there might be some minor behavior issues.

But what I witnessed wasn't exactly a behavior issue like talking out of turn - it was just apathy and boredom. Even though these kids were hearing from people and seeing things related to what they supposedly want to do when they finish school, they had blank expressions on their faces the whole time. The only question they asked was "do you guys have any vending machines in this building?" When the people talking to them would make a joke, they'd just stare back. It was a really awkward experience and frustrating for me, because I had spent a lot of time planning this trip, and the people talking to the kids and showing them around were people who had taken time out of their day and really made an effort to give these kids a cool experience. And what they were saying and showing everyone was interesting. I don't know how it could've been more interesting. But these kids just were not into it at all. I got the impression that they were not very intelligent and had no social skills on top of it. There's another group coming next week, and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

So, what I'm wondering is, is what I witnessed typical of teens? Is this just how they are? Do you guys think that teens in general can and do outgrow this kind of behavior? Do those of you who are teens think that this behavior is fine, and I should get over myself? Is there a way for teachers and other adults to get through to teens and not receive a blank stare in response?

Because I know it's only been a few years since I was a teen, but honestly I don't ever remember acting like this. I feel like I came out of the womb with more social skills and maturity than what I witness in a lot teens when I see them in public. And I'm not saying that to be snotty, that's just genuinely how I remember things. I don't ever remember a time when an adult would speak to me and I would just stare back at them, or when someone would make a joke and I wouldn't at least laugh a little to be polite. No wonder I didn't fit in when I was in elementary and middle school. And lest you guys start to think I hate all teens, last night I met a 15-year-old who I thought was very mature, interesting and articulate. She told me she didn't fit in at all either.

At least they didn't kill anyone, as opposed to some adults. Maybe they're annoying, but everyone got through this and I feel offended by you thinking that teens will never change and are immature idiots.

I could add more, but I didn't sleep much and I can't think.

daria7483

Well, sorry - the point I was trying to make is that when teens act like immature idiots, they give adults like me the impression that they will always be immature idiots. And I'm also trying to point out that I don't see that behavior among the teens on this forum. And yes, I realize immature behavior is not the same thing as killing people, and I'm glad they're not doing that. I don't think they ever will. I don't think they are BAD kids who would want to harm anyone. It's just I'm worried that the current teens (and my generation as well) spend so much time IMing and texting that they don't know how to speak to adults in real life. That they have so many electronic toys to entertain them that anything less than that is boring and worthless. And that if this mindset and behavior isn't outgrown (and I'm not entirely convinced it will be, in all cases) that that will be detrimental to society as a whole.

EmeraldsAndLime

At times, I'll admit, I acted like a total wanker in my earlier teen years. Much in the same fashion as you are describing daria. And I turned out fine... mostly!

Heh... nah. Seriously though, I think it's pretty normal. Sound just like typical teenage asshattery and idiocy. If they don't grow out of it, then they'll soon learn just how much growing up they really need to do when they finish school.

Well...I do have a lot of those electronic things, but I know how to talk to adults...Sure with other friends I can be immature, but that's how teens are these days...It doesn't mean they are going to turn out bad...Maybe they will if they are ones who do drugs/drink (I don't)...But other than that, they should turn out well

I love being immature, I avoid being a total douche and disrupting other people though.

I think you understand. I like to think I'm mature during some situations and not when I am with my friends.

i is out to getz you!

Let me tell you about a trip I had to go on last week. It was for my guidence/career class. It was a trip to the local steel mill. On a good day, my class has 25 students in it. On this day though, only about six showed up. The rest skipped or were too busy being "sick" at home.

So the few of us that were there (I was there just to get out of class; I have no interest in working in a steel mill) loaded onto the bus. When we got down to the mill, some workers got onto the bus and began giving us a very borring tour of the place. It was noisy, smelly, and full of highschool drop-outs. Trying to breathe there was like drinking mud. And he was trying to tell us how it was such a great place to work. I couldn't hear the rest of what he said.

There was one part where he was telling us an answer on the test that our teacher was going to give us the next day. "Okay, listen up," he said. "Because this next thing I'm about to say is an answer on your test. It's about the three key ingredients in making steel. This is abosolutely crucial for you to know. Here comes the answer... And those three key ingredients are--" deafening roar as a gigantic truck passes beside the bus-- "... and those are three key ingredients!"

Then we went to a conference room where they attempted to explain what kind of jobs you would do if you worked there. I hate to say it, but I fell asleep. There was one thing he said that woke me and the rest of the group up though. He was talking about the amount of money you could make if you worked there (and, as we all know, money is the only important thing to consider when selecting a career). "You can make a lot of money working here. Upwards of $40-50,000 a year. It's hard work, but you're gonna' love the bulge in your pants!"

All the teenagers started laughing, but the poor guy didn't realize what he had said. Then we resumed our blank expressions as he continued talking about stuff no one cared about. He took a tally at the end of the lecture to see who would like to work there. Out of a room of 60 students, no one raised their hand.

So yeah, there's my anecdote. I have no idea what my point is.

Daria, I bet you got the slower class, In my experience, those people at my school, are stupid, think they are better than everyone else, and think they will be rich.

Do not take it personally. Just laugh at them when you see them at BK.

daria7483

Well, happy lurker, I would like to think this trip was a bit more interesting and less hokey than what you described And I feel a little bit better now. I imagine these kids will grow up eventually, and if they don't, well, we do need people to work at BK.

Quote Originally Posted by daria7483 View Post
    Well, sorry - the point I was trying to make is that when teens act like immature idiots, they give adults like me the impression that they will always be immature idiots. And I'm also trying to point out that I don't see that behavior among the teens on this forum. And yes, I realize immature behavior is not the same thing as killing people, and I'm glad they're not doing that. I don't think they ever will. I don't think they are BAD kids who would want to harm anyone. It's just I'm worried that the current teens (and my generation as well) spend so much time IMing and texting that they don't know how to speak to adults in real life. That they have so many electronic toys to entertain them that anything less than that is boring and worthless. And that if this mindset and behavior isn't outgrown (and I'm not entirely convinced it will be, in all cases) that that will be detrimental to society as a whole.
    May I remind you that IMing involves real persons?
    And it's completely the opposite of what you're saying. Social life is much more important to teenagers as it was a few years ago to, say, their parents.