Thread: Sleep issues: head banging, body rocking,...

Default Sleep issues: head banging, body rocking,...

Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone else here suffers from a Rhythmic Movement Disorder. If yes, when did it stop? Was it a problem for you/your parents? (For those of you who don't want to click on the link, a RMD is a child sleep disorder involving repeated body movements, that usually stops by 5 years old)

As far as I am concerned, I've been a "headbanger" since I'm a baby and it never really stopped! Well now, it tends to happen more often when I'm under a lot of stress or when sick (as well as my diaper desires too!)

My parents used to call this "huh-uh" referring to the humming I did while rocking my head over my pillow. My parents couldn't sleep with the noise made by the bed movements and my hummings, so my dad used to burst into my bedroom, shake me until I wake up, yell me to stop! They tried everything they could think of like punishment or rewards, nothing would make me stop.
    They took me to the shrink when I was like 6-8 yo (don't remember) but it didn't help.

Since I live alone, it doesn't bother anyone if it happens, but most of the time I don't even rock myself to sleep anymore as I fall asleep from being exhausted/drugs.

The big question is does anyone think it is somewhat related to my abdlism?

hmmm, when I'm nervous I tend to 'tap' my feet on my chair or in bed I tend to do things like that when I have something important the next day and can't sleep...

I think I used to do this more as a child. Now I just make little humming noises when I'm sleeping. I have lots of weird sleep stuff, but at the moment my biggest problem is sleep paralysis. I think rocking can definitely make me feel more childlike and it's something I do when I'm very upset.

Not sure this really answers your questions though!

I find being sleepy/things related to sleep do relate a lot to my AB stuff, but I suspect most people feel more vulnerable when they're tired.