Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Think of Inventing Something?

Default Ever Think of Inventing Something?

Or, have you ever had someone else market something you had the same idea about inventing beforehand?

I actually tried to get a US patent issued for an idea about 15 years ago. I was working with a company that helped inventive people to both get a patent, and have their item marketed. We were halfway through the process with my invention being in *patent pending* status when the company went belly up. To get the process completed on my own would have required me to invest another $8,000 or so out of my pocket. So, not having any more funds to invest, I had to let the patent attorney discontinue the application process. By the way Peachy, this is how I got into CC debt because I did cash advances to put up my share of money initially to get the process going. Can't recall now why I used credit cards instead of a bank loan. At the time there must have been a good reason. I can be dumb sometimes when it comes to money matters, but not that dumb!

That was my only attempt at ever getting an invention patented. It's not a cheap process, in the US anyway, should you ever wish to try it yourself. And my invention? It was a "live plug guard" to protect young children from getting shocked by energized plugs in home electrical outlets. Kids are sometimes fascinated with electric wires and plugs. My idea would have made it impossible for them to touch a live plug prong if they happened to loosen the plug or it wasn't inserted all the way. Did that myself when I was a kid and learned my lesson well! I look at child safety devices in stores every so often to see if anyone else carried my idea through to market. So far I haven't seen it anywhere. Any other inventive minds on the forums?

~Pramrider

That's the problem. You need money to get money. If you come up with an idea, then you need money to fund the process of selling it to someone. I hate money sometimes.... (but I like to have it because it's important in this greedy world)

Well not strictly an invention, but I wrote the movie 28 days later.

Okay not really, but I had an idea for a film (I have loads of film ideas) and my opening is very similar to one of the scenes in that film... and that film kind of touched on the idea that my film was all about (but the worst thing it that it touched on it but didn't fully explore it...).
    So when I first saw that film I really didn't like it!

Anyway... now my film has a new beginning and has major plot changes... so we're still good! I think if I release it just after I release a big hit I'll pull it off...

Yes but i will never have the money. I have had ideas for everything from games to movies to books, and more, but will never have money, or resources to get any made. My biggest idea i most liked was a desk, with a mini fridge built in that shoots canned drinks, or bottled ones into cup holders that come out. It would also have space for a computer, and a little side stand for a tv. This side stand would also hold a game system at the same time or just a game system for people with lcd tvs. But i will never be able to make it as even a test.

The easiest way to get an invention built is find a company that makes similar things, like for mine a basic desk company, and try to work out a deal to let them use your idea. The difficulty with this is finding a company that will trust your idea, give you a large enough share, and getting money to help fund it if the company asks. You may ask how 1 year old would know this. I know it because it has been done sevral times,(not by anyone i know but i know it has) and many companies like taking the peoples idea.

EmeraldsAndLime

I once had an idea for a McDonalds commercial >_<

Basically, this guy wakes up at 10:25am, and seeing as he's only got 5 minutes until the breakfast menu closes, he quickly makes a mad dash for the store, doing a bunch of parkour on the way, making it just in time.

A few months later, an ad that was pretty much like this appeared on TV here.
    Last edited by EmeraldsAndLime; 29-Mar-2008 at 06:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I once had an idea for a McDonalds comemrcial >_<

Basically, this guy wakes up at 10:25am, and seeing as he's only got 5 minutes until the breakfast menu closes, he quickly makes a mad dash for the store, doing a bunch of parkour on the way, making it just in time.

Stuff like that happens a lot and so the idea of brain washing got bigger But i think a lot of times you think you have a unique idea but so many other people have also thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I once had an idea for a McDonalds comemrcial >_<

That's because McDonalds, being the evil company it is, is actually reading our minds to come up with marketing ideas lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    That's because McDonalds, being the evil company it is, is actually reading our minds to come up with marketing ideas lol
    Didn't i just say stuff like that causes people to think that their minds are being read. I also gave a reason for why such thing happens and yes i know it was a joke but bad timing after my post.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    Dude, forget McDonalds, the daily comic writers are who are reading my mind! One day I had a funny idea for a comic and, I kid you not, the next day four different comics had that joke in them. Strange enough for one to have it, but four? And they were totally working independently. Or so we think.