Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Freudian explanation for Fetishism

Default A Freudian explanation for Fetishism

I am reading Ernest Becker's book, The Denial of Death. In it he offers a re-examination of Freudian psychology. On the subject of fetishism, he asserts all fetishes are a result of the castration complex. In our case, the diaper being the last object seen before a female vagina. I know it is hard to stomach, but I am interested in all of your opinions. Try not to attack Freud's persona too much, I know its hard , but we need to critically examine all of these origin theories for their possible therapeutic benefit.
    ----
    Freud: "To put it plainly: the fetish is a substitute for the woman's (mother's) phallus which the little boy once believed in and does not wish to forego--we know why" -Freud "Fetishism", 1927, Collected papers, vol. 5. p. 199

[The author, Ernest Becker's commentary on the above quote]: " Note the utter assurance of that last phrase. The "reason" is that the female genitals prove the reality of castration and awaken the horror of it for oneself. The only way to triumph over this threat is to "give" the woman a phallus, however artificially or symbolically; and the fetish is precisely the "token of triumph over the threat of castration and a safeguard against it..." With it, the fetishist can proceed to have intercourse [Obviously an extreme case, but not all too common]. The fetish "saves the fetishist from being a homosexual by endowing women with the attribute which makes them acceptable as sexual objects." In other words, the fetish gives him the courage to be a man. Freud was so confident of his formulation that he said
    categorically:

"Probably no male human being is spared the terrifying shock of threatened castration at the sight of the female genitals... [Thus he concludes triumphantly:] Investigations into fetishism are to be recommended to all who still doubt the existence of the castration complex..." Ibid p.200, 201

From the book by: Becker, Ernest. The Denial of Death. Free Press: New York 1975

BTW it won a Pulitzer prize... let me know what you all think.

I think that anything based off Freud's work is bound to be at least as wrong as Freud's work itself. The dude must have had an anal fixation, since that's the orifice it seems he pulled his ideas from.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    I think that anything based off Freud's work is bound to be at least as wrong as Freud's work itself. The dude must have had an anal fixation, since that's the orifice it seems he pulled his ideas from.
    care to elaborate that last part?

Quote Originally Posted by r4di0sensitive View Post
    care to elaborate that last part?
    I'm saying Freud pulled his ideas straight out of his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    I'm saying Freud pulled his ideas straight out of his ass.
    i knew what you meant, but i want to know why you think that,

Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    The fetish "saves the fetishist from being a homosexual by endowing women with the attribute which makes them acceptable as sexual objects." In other words, the fetish gives him the courage to be a man.
    This piece really meshes really well with the large proportion of homosexual and bisexual members on ADISC.

It also shows that the author postulates homosexuality as something inherently bad, which in my mind, is enough to discredit him as not understanding how sexuality works whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by r4di0sensitive View Post
    i knew what you meant, but i want to know why you think that,
    Seriously, I've yet to read anything from Freud that actually makes sense in the context of what I've read about determination of sexuality and what I anecdotally know to be true about determination of sexuality.

Freud's views of sexuality are pretty specific, and if they were right, would be long since confirmed by studies attempting to confirm them.

And the female fetishists....?

Freud has a lot to answer for. In my opinion he was essentially the birth of modern psychology. Although it has subsequently been proven he cheated the results on some of his experiments (don't ask me to cite, I'm just dredging random facts up from my memory of last years psych classes!) he did pave the way for psychologists to perform experiments and studies in a rigorous and controlled environment. His ideas are like the 'Daddy' of psychology, and his 'children' have grown and moved on, like evolution.

I'd go so far as to say that it's safe to discount pretty much everything he's said. It is very much discredited in todays society. His ideas are outdated and just don't make sense. At the time it was breaking news! A real possibility! But with modern ideas and technologies we have found this to not be true.

But hey, maybe we're all just in denial, right? :P
    Last edited by Talula; 15-Nov-2009 at 10:49. Reason: i suck at spelling/typing :)

So what Freud is saying is that all males fear intercourse with a woman, because once the male penis is inside the female vagina, the vagina will snap the penis off, causing castration? How ridiculous! Several months ago someone posted that diapers were a transitional object, an object that brought the wearer from one state of mind to another, that of the adult to the toddler. I like that theory a lot better.

As infantilists, I don't think we fear the vagina, and like talua said, what about women, but rather we use diapers to associate with, to a time we were infants or toddlers, a time of caring and nurturing, when our needs were met and we were kept safe.

Okay, where's my Pulitzer?

Sometimes a diaper is just a diaper.

*shrug*

*crawls back under the bed*