Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Belyaev Experiment

Default The Belyaev Experiment

In the 1950, Dmitry Belyaev created an experiment to try to prove evolution. He started with 30 male foxes, and bred them with 100 female foxes. Then, he took the 100 most docile females from those litters, and bred them with the 30 most docile males. After 40 years and over 45000 foxes, he had created a new breed of fox. These foxes are docile, friendly, eager to please, and a lot like dogs. So basic evolution was proved, and there's a super cool new bread of foxes! I've heard that they are up for adoption, but I've had no luck in finding where. I really want one!

Here's a video on one of the foxes.

YouTube - Belyaev Experiment: Docile Foxes

o_o I want one!!! My dogs suck... They are so lazy and boring. One is dumb and the other is vicious. Oh well, my sister likes them so they get to stay.

I doubt you could find one of these foxes... well at least find one of these AFFORDABLE foxes.

I've always wanted a pet fox...... They're somotherfuckingcute!

Asher

We had studied Belyaev in Psychology; what an interesting study. How he was able to prove that genes do have a large role in shaping who we are in the Nature vs. Nurture debate was simply fantastic.

On another note, I think they are freakin awesome and I would love to have one haha! Woo FOXES!

Omaigawd....:heart: So. Fucking. ADORABLE.

Did you see the way that one was just all like "OMG OMG I FUCKING LOVE YOUUUUUU~~~!!"? FDJKALJFLAKJL I'd SO go and scout one out if my dog wasn't afraid of every other animal on the planet except for humans.

*Neispazz*

Last time I checked, exotic pets (including foxes and wolves) were illegal in New York State.... So it sucks.....

Do you think there would be an acception for those foxes? Hmmmmmm......

Wow.... I was looking at my hands while I was typing. They look so cool the way they just float along the keyboard hitting every letter.... I swear I'm sober!

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    [Dmitry Belyaev] started with 30 male foxes, and bred them with 100 female foxes. Then, he took the 100 most docile females from those litters, and bred them with the 30 most docile males. After 40 years and over 45000 foxes, he had created a new breed of fox. These foxes are docile, friendly, eager to please, and a lot like dogs. So basic evolution was proved, and there's a super cool new bread of foxes!
    It does not follow.

For instance, it could be that Jesus pulled some strings here.

I've known about those foxes for a while. Though in the time it took evolution has been proven through other means. Making the whole thing awesome but fairly pointless XD

But that's beside the point, these guys are awesome. They also ended up with curly tails and different markings, didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    I've known about those foxes for a while. Though in the time it took evolution has been proven through other means. Making the whole thing awesome but fairly pointless XD

But that's beside the point, these guys are awesome. They also ended up with curly tails and different markings, didn't they?
    I got this from my psychology book, and it was only two short paragraphs on the subject. I heard from somewhere that the original purpose was to make a breed that was easier to raise for their fur, but the type of fur changed as did the personality making them useless, but they continued anyway just to see how far they could go. I have no idea how true that is, but it makes sense.