Thread: Market Research

Default Market Research

Ok, bear with me here, just getting a little info from some iphone/touch/blackberry users here:

Okay, my newest idea is to build a site, essentially a data base where people can upload their own (free) iphone, itouch, and blackberry applications to. The goal is to be the largest place on the net that has free apps.

Do any of you think there is a demand for this?
    Is it possible to compete with the Apple App store?
    Is it smart to do that, or would people continue taking the time to search free apps on itunes?
    Is there incentive for a developer to make an app for free?

This is the first bit of market research for this project. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Ok, bear with me here, just getting a little info from some iphone/touch/blackberry users here:

Okay, my newest idea is to build a site, essentially a data base where people can upload their own (free) iphone, itouch, and blackberry applications to. The goal is to be the largest place on the net that has free apps.

Do any of you think there is a demand for this?
    Is it possible to compete with the Apple App store?
    Is it smart to do that, or would people continue taking the time to search free apps on itunes?
    Is there incentive for a developer to make an app for free?

This is the first bit of market research for this project. Your thoughts?
    It won't work for you. First of all, for iPhone, you're already screwed over by not just Apple's app store, but also from Cydia and other app stores for jailbroken iPhones. Bascially, you're dead before your started.

While you are focusing on something that people would actually use, you're going to need money and effort to actually dig into the market. It would be similar if you decided to make your own search engine, it's just not going to do any good with all the other sources out there.

So what you're saying is that there are very high barriers to entry into this market? Okay, understandable.

What you are saying is that a place where free applications are at, a centralized free applications place would not interest people? Or what exactly? Correct me if that is not what you are getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    So what you're saying is that there are very high barriers to entry into this market? Okay, understandable.

What you are saying is that a place where free applications are at, a centralized free applications place would not interest people? Or what exactly? Correct me if that is not what you are getting at.
    What I'm saying is that you're going into a competitive market, and you're just some 17 year old kid with too high expectations. I don't see you actually going through with this more than a week or two before you get bored and try for another way for you to be well known or rich or something to inflate your already big ego. Do you even know what kind of process you're going to have to go through to actually get one application, let alone a database of applications for free? No one knows who you are. You're going to have to find some developers that are not only willing to develop apps for presumably no money, but also have them hosted on your unknown website. If a developer is really going to want to develop a free app, they are more than likely going to send it to Apple. If Apple doesn't accept it, then they are either going to change it to Apple's standards, give up, or maybe send it to Cydia where anyone can download it without really any restrictions.

Hm... you make a good point. maybe I should scale down my target market, to just Blackberry users or something like that. I also got a look into the safety issues with Apps, how I didn't think of that before IDK, but it has given me much to think about.

This whole idea is absurd. These app stores already exist, as well as places to get free apps. You're not realistically going to make a competing website that will get any traffic.

If you've got the technical know-how to make such a website, maybe you should instead look into developing paid apps yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    This whole idea is absurd. These app stores already exist, as well as places to get free apps. You're not realistically going to make a competing website that will get any traffic.

If you've got the technical know-how to make such a website, maybe you should instead look into developing paid apps yourself?
    This.

Honestly, trying to compete with iTunes or Cydia or whatever is just a ridiculous idea. They are companies full of plenty of experienced people. You're a 17-year-old kid with no experience.

Making paid apps would be a much better idea than trying to compile a site full of free apps, since even iTunes has plenty of free apps available.