Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Warfare 2: Terrorist Controversy

Default Modern Warfare 2: Terrorist Controversy

I am choosing not to put this in the "Computers and Games" section, because I believe this topic transcends those brackets and requires more varied input even from those who aren't gamers.

Just this week, the long-awaited sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was released. While the majority of the game involves fighting against modern cells of terrorists, there is a questionable sequence that has already been the focus of growing furor. In it, the player controls an undercover operative undertaking a covert operation, during which he walks alongside ultranationalist terrorists as they commit mass slaughter at a Russian airport.

I was considering peppering this post with both sides of the controversy -- articles in which people speak against the scene, and articles by those who support it -- but I refrain. I'll let the recorded sequence above speak for itself.

The linked scene above contains potential spoilers for the game's plot. For those of you who aren't interested in viewing it, then don't. A warning to other viewers: the scene is heavily graphic and is not necessarily for the faint of heart. Also keep in mind that when the game is started, a player is given the option to skip this sequence or to play through it, referencing its disturbing nature.

So what's your take on this? Is Infinity Ward (the game's developer) upping the controversial ante? Is this too far for a series of games that have prided themselves on being accurate representations of both the heroics and violence of war? Does it belong in the game at all?

Have at! I'll be posting my own feelings later on, too.
    Last edited by Dawes; 11-Nov-2009 at 19:08.

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's violent, but pretty much every video game is. The player kills a lot of innocent people, but there are video games based entirely around that concept. Destroy All Humans comes to mind, in which the objective was to, well, destroy all humans.

I wonder if people would have such a problem with this if it were an action movie instead of a video game...

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's a video game, and there are games that have things alot more fucked up in them than that. Movies are way worse, and they have real actors as opposed to video game characters who are animated.

People just want something to bitch about.

Grab your bombs and kill some people
    Throw some napalm on the square
    Do it on a Sunday morning
    Kill them on their way to prayer

'Cause napalm, it sticks to kids
    Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside

Aim some missiles at the schoolyard
    As the teacher rings the bell
    Look at all those kiddies cryin'
    As the schoolhouse burns to hell

Throw some candy in the schoolyard
    Watch those kiddies gather 'round
    Lock and load with my 2401
    Mow those little fuckers down

Rape their horses, kill their women
    Eat their little babies, too
    We're Marines with M-16s
    So tell me who the fuck are you?

Oh no! imaginary Russians are getting shot!

What is wrong with people? Men are coming home in body bags and we're complaining about this shit?

Because of the spoiler warning, I haven't actually watched the scene, but brutality is nothing new in COD. The Russian levels in COD5 have loads of cases where the player or the sergeant kills wounded soldiers. Then there is the opening sequence, where the Japanese soldiers burn out another soldier's eyes with a cigar, and execute him.

I haven't seen near as many complaints about that, but COD5 was unfairly written off by a lot of people before release, so didn't have the same media attention. This is just a symptom of the ridiculous level of media attention MW2 is getting. I'm sure there are plenty of more violent movies without a comment being made.

No issues with it, just like most violent movies and video game. Is MW2 on PC yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    I am choosing not to put this in the "Computers and Games" section, because I believe this topic transcends those brackets and requires more varied input even from those who aren't gamers.

Just this week, the long-awaited sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was released. While the majority of the game involves fighting against modern cells of terrorists, there is a questionable sequence that has already been the focus of growing furor. In it, the player controls an undercover operative undertaking a covert operation, during which he walks alongside ultranationalist terrorists as they commit mass slaughter at a Russian airport.

I was considering peppering this post with both sides of the controversy -- articles in which people speak against the scene, and articles by those who support it -- but I refrain. I'll let the recorded sequence above speak for itself.

The linked scene above contains potential spoilers for the game's plot. For those of you who aren't interested in viewing it, then don't. A warning to other viewers: the scene is heavily graphic and is not necessarily for the faint of heart. Also keep in mind that when the game is started, a player is given the option to skip this sequence or to play through it, referencing its disturbing nature.

So what's your take on this? Is Infinity Ward (the game's developer) upping the controversial ante? Is this too far for a series of games that have prided themselves on being accurate representations of both the heroics and violence of war? Does it belong in the game at all?

Have at! I'll be posting my own feelings later on, too.
    I own the game. When you start, you're give the option if you want to play it or not. "This mission might be considered offensive to some people. If you chose not to play it, you will not be penalized in your campaign".

I played it.

Yeah, it's hardcore. But 1.) it's a video game, 2.) hey, it's real life people, stuff like that CAN and DOES happen, 3.) you're even given the option to not play it.

It wasn't too far. I was a little confused at how offensive it could be at the beginning when it asked me if I wanted to skip it, I understand fully now.

I could see that for some it would make them vomit.

It was violent, but it just a video game. You can probably read worse things than this. The Call of Duty games have always been extremly violent so Im not very surprised. Still, holy shit. An undercover marine kills hundreds of innocent Russian civillians for nothing. Its dark, but it adds alot to the story and feel.

I always asked myself, why don't you let your kids play M rated games? Alot of them, violent, bloody, full of language and sexual content. But even those games kids will understand its bad. This give that question an answer, I wouldn't let my kids play that game untill they are old enough.

For Hardcore Gamers Only...

Does it make me a bad person if I shot at the people too?

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    It wasn't too far. I was a little confused at how offensive it could be at the beginning when it asked me if I wanted to skip it, I understand fully now.

I could see that for some it would make them vomit.

It was violent, but it just a video game. You can probably read worse things than this. The Call of Duty games have always been extremly violent so Im not very surprised. Still, holy shit. An undercover marine kills hundreds of innocent Russian civillians for nothing. Its dark, but it adds alot to the story and feel.

I always asked myself, why don't you let your kids play M rated games? Alot of them, violent, bloody, full of language and sexual content. But even those games kids will understand its bad. This give that question an answer, I wouldn't let my kids play that game untill they are old enough.

For Hardcore Gamers Only...
    Actually, you're an Army Ranger