Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AP Classes

Default AP Classes

Just wanted to make a thread on AP classes: been experiancing some self questioning on my why i torture myself.

How many do you take?
    How manageable is the work load?
    Why do you take them?
    Teachers sometime seem rediculous in that they seem not to be qualified to teach on a college level.

I'm personally taking 4 atm.

I don' have any time to do anything unless its past 11 or so.

I seem to have a intertwined need to succeed for some obscene reasonmn Not even at a specific goal, just to do well.

Some of my teachers scores are horrible (as in their passing scores) and sometimes i wonder if my pain is actually going to pay off.

I am a senior now and I have taken a total of 4:

AP World
    AP Euro
    AP U.S.
    AP Micro/Macro Economics

I am currently taking AP U.S. and Economics, and I am managing them quite well I have gotten 4's on my other AP exams that I have mentioned. I think that I have a manageable work load and see no problem with taking these classes.

What ones are you taking?

I just took one, AP Psych. It was a joke of a class. I really don't think they're that much harder than honors or regular classes. I chose not to take them out of laziness

I'm a junior and right now i'm taking:

AP US
    AP Economics
    AP Biology (a killer)
    AP Language composition

I was going to take AP Chemistry but dropped out of it at the last minute.

In my Sophmore year i took AP World--got a 5 : ) great teacher.

You should just do what i do. Just barely get by then after graduation find a rich cougar/ sugar daddy. The whole thing sounds a lot more complicated then it is...

My school only has AP French(immersion) [which I was recommended for ]
    AP English
    and AP History

none of which I took since they are all boring...

Quote Originally Posted by jjwow2 View Post
    I'm a junior and right now i'm taking:

AP US
    AP Economics
    AP Biology (a killer)
    AP Language composition

I was going to take AP Chemistry but dropped out of it at the last minute.

In my Sophmore year i took AP World--got a 5 : ) great teacher.
    Sweet I took AP World in my Soph. year, I got a 4. And your taking Econ, SWEET, maybe you could help me with some stuff if the need arises

I took all that we offered in high school. Bear in mind, this was before some of you were born, but at that time, it was:
    • AP Biology
    • AP Calculus
    • AP English
    • AP History
    • AP Physics

I think.

Insofar as quality of instruction, I took AP English from a Ph.D. He and I met up this September when I went to visit my parents; I wanted to make sure that he knew what a difference he made in my life, and how much I appreciated his course. I *thought* that I told him that at the time, but couldn't really be sure. We had a rather nice breakfast together and chatted about the state of things in education.

The rest of the coursework was somewhat ho-hum compared to this. None of the other faculty had received terminal degrees--and therefore not qualified to teach at the university level--but the AP Physics and AP Calculus instructors seemed to know what they were doing. The AP Biology instructor was really nice and said that he probably knew less than we did about biology, but that he'd read ahead and go do outside reading to help us out. I have no complaints about that guy--he was forthright and honest with us and himself, and that was far more valuable than blowing smoke. The AP History teacher ... well, he was somewhat of a prick. Seemed to know what he was doing well enough to carry the class forward, though, so I wasn't really bothered.

My Junior and Senior year, a few friends and I put our AP stickers in our yearbooks--we were so used to being identified by that number that we had it memorized. We were "lucky" in that the AP folks had to send us out a second sheet of stickers to meet demand, hence our leftover(s).

I also was taking coursework at a community college my senior year. And working. I may, therefore, not be a good reference for load tolerance. But I'd advise taking 3 AP courses concurrently; it helps cut down on the boredom. And, given the way that education has gone and continues to go, this would equate to taking 4 or 5 courses these days concurrently.

Go in, get your work done, learn, test, get credit, get out.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Sweet I took AP World in my Soph. year, I got a 4. And your taking Econ, SWEET, maybe you could help me with some stuff if the need arises
    No problem, I do fairly well in Economics, but my teacher, i'm pretty sure, smokes pot, so somedays it seems like we go nowhere.
    Last edited by jjwow2; 09-Nov-2009 at 22:47.

I took a total of 9 (though that includes both Calc A/B and B/C).

They weren't really any more challenging than honors courses. Our school generally put them in the hands of the best teachers in the department, though there were exceptions (our AP Chem teacher did very little teaching of chemistry and a great deal of extracurricular stuff - I do something very interesting things, but wasn't any more prepared for the AP exam than before I took the class).

Classes where I had to try taught me much more than classes where I didn't have to try, and I walked into college with about 40 credit hours.