Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difference between cloth and disposable

zach

Default difference between cloth and disposable

Whats the differences between cloth diapers and disposable diapers? as in the...
    pros and cons of each?

Cloth Diapers versus Disposable Diapers - Pros and Cons
    Diapers - Cloth Diapers vs. Disposable Diapers
    Pampers Easy Ups - FamilyEducation.com

Those came from a quick google search of "cloth vs. disposable diapers." Google is truly a remarkable research that no one seems to use anymore. ;D

Personally, I've only ever used disposable, so I can't really answer your question. But those sites seemed pretty good.

Valence

The image I get in my head when I think of cloth diapers is that of a soggy towel xD
    Never seen a proper cloth diaper irl, so I can only speak from reading online but, disposables tend to be more comfortable and leak less.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapejuice View Post
    The image I get in my head when I think of cloth diapers is that of a soggy towel xD
    Never seen a proper cloth diaper irl, so I can only speak from reading online but, disposables tend to be more comfortable and leak less.
    Many people could debate the "more comfortable" thing with you. I've heard people say the same about cloth diapers. -shrug-

EDIT: OH NEAT 500th post. :3 (Thanks Grapey, for pointing it out. ;D)
    Last edited by LittleMonster; 07-Nov-2009 at 09:28. Reason: 500th post.

Valence

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Many people could debate the "more comfortable" thing with you. I've heard people say the same about cloth diapers. -shrug-
    :/
    Yeah, it is a hugely debatable matter...
    Oh, congrats on your 500th post, too :P

Well, this is off the top of my head, but here goes.........

Cloth: Reusable, better for the environment (if you care about that sort of thing). You have to wash cloth diapers and plastic pants after every use. Cloth has higher costs up front, but is cheaper than disposables in the long run. You can make cloth diapers as thick or as thin as you want, although you will need to layer up for more absorbency. With cloth you also have basically an unlimited supply, whereas with disposables you have a limited quantity.

Disposable: One time use, but far more convenient than cloth. No cleaning or washing required, just toss in the garbage and you're done. Cheaper up front, but eventually more expensive than cloth. You don't have to have any special accessories for disposables, like pins and plastic pants for cloth diapers. Disposables are usually thinner and more discreet than cloth diapers, so better for going out in, if you're planning on going out diapered.

I think it's basically up to personal preference, and resources available to you. I tried cloth recently, but since i'm still living with my parents, it's a real pain to do the washing and drying in secret. For the time being, I will be sticking to disposables. But, like I said, it's all about personal preference. My advice would be just try both, and go with what you like more, or you could do both.

There are the environmental, price and convenience differences.

Then there's the difference in how they feel. Personally I prefer disposable, even though I had only cloth/terry when I was a baby. Maybe it's because I can't remember wearing them, and I was exposed to adverts showing disposables. In feel, I prefer the fresh feeling of a disposable, they're lightweight, they crinkle, they swell up when wet, they absorb a huge amount. Cloth is just like wearing a soggy towel as said above. I just don't see the appeal though I've done it a few times.

Practically, cloth is a major pain cleaning them, and I wouldn't want to poop in them!

Oh, and environmentally, cloth isn't so great. It's reusable, but the energy used to clean them properly is large (forget these cold washes and the claims of detergent manufacturers, these need to be on very hot washes), the water used is significant, the chemicals used in the detergents are not especially great for the environment, the manufacture of those detergents requires chemicals, energy, probably water and likely produces waste.

It's probably about equal.

Yes disposables go in landfill, and whilst everyone freaks out over it, really landfills are a tiny percentage of the land available on this planet. Atmospheric pollution is far worse than burying waste.

[QUOTE=dangermouse;295085]
    Oh, and environmentally, cloth isn't so great. It's reusable, but the energy used to clean them properly is large (forget these cold washes and the claims of detergent manufacturers, these need to be on very hot washes), the water used is significant, the chemicals used in the detergents are not especially great for the environment, the manufacture of those detergents requires chemicals, energy, probably water and likely produces waste.QUOTE]

This is not intirely true the best way to wash a clothie and have is last is with verylittle cleaners, for the most clean bakingsoda and vinigar are best for both smell and bacterial resons. Also if the diaper is well made drying is not a problem eaither. I always tell people to line dry when they can, but mine are all designed to dry faster in the dryer then those from China we have baught in the past. If you want a thick one get stuffers rather then extra thick dypers so they dry with less energy.

Now do not think i am 100% pro cloth. I love my Dry 27/7 and Bambinos, and I would not wear a clothie out in public but there is one other thing that no one has mentioned, and many people may not have had it themselves yet.

CLothies can be custom made to fit you, and at a good price I make them custom to your measurments for less then 1/2 of the cost of most cases of diaper, heck 1/3 my Bambinos. When they are made just for you they fit better and hold more before they leak(if your Plastic pants fit).
    Also the choice in colors, and patterns are limitless. not to mention the choices in fabric. so long as you have a inner linner the outside can me made from any washable fabric. Fleece, Polor Fleece(my fav), Cotton, Synthetic,Bamboo (nice super soft), and many more.

The only thing about a Clothie that is not cost effishent is when you get addicted to them, and start to collect them for their different types. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Grapejuice View Post
    Eh, this is debatable. A soft cloth diaper (like the one from LG's SecretShop), is extremely comfortable. As far as how much it "holds", using cloth allows you to easily double up or add stuffers making them as thick as you want.

I prefer disposable myself. Cloth is a fun novelty, but I find myself identifying with disposable more. Perhaps because that's what I grew up with?

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    It's probably about equal.

Yes disposables go in landfill, and whilst everyone freaks out over it, really landfills are a tiny percentage of the land available on this planet. Atmospheric pollution is far worse than burying waste.
    I'm not gonna make a claim on whether cloth or disposables are worse for the environment, because I haven't seen any studies done that evaluate the differences from a rigorous scientific standpoint. All I can do is speculate.

However, environmental and sanitation engineers might disagree on the landfill comment. They may only take up a small percentage of the land available on the planet, but here's the thing about landfills: they have the potential to contaminate not only the soil they are built on, but groundwater--which flows and can carry waste for miles. It's also nearly impossible to fully clean once contaminated. Landfills (the newer ones, anyways) are designed with the intent of preventing waste from coming into contact with the surrounding soil. They are lined with waterproofing and have systems designed to deal with leachate--basically what you get when it rains on the landfill, and all of the chemical and biological nasties are slowly washed out from the trash. But these systems can never be guaranteed 100%; they get old, and leaks happen. And of course, there's the issue of all the older landfills that don't have any of these systems.

The biggest problem that I see with disposable diapers (other than the fact that they take a loong time to decompose and take up space) is that they contain human waste. This will eventually be carried into leachate which will be carried directly into the soil and groundwater--if the landfill is old enough to have been designed without waterproofing or if the preventative measures built into a new landfill have failed. This is damaging to the environment, yes. This is also very bad if that contaminated groundwater happens to be your water supply.

(On a side note: most of the disposable diapers packages I've seen specify that solid waste should be scooped into a toilet for proper processing in a water treatment plant and NOT disposed of in a landfill. Unfortunately, I doubt many people actually do this, though it would help take care of the problem of human waste in landfills...)