Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite author: Who's yours?

Default Favorite author: Who's yours?

If books are our friends, then the authors that write those books are the awesome bros that introduce you to them at a party.

There's no way I could place a favorite favorite author, so in that case I'll just list a few and be on my way:
    (This is in no particular order, by the way)

*Stephen King (Dozens upon dozens of excellent works)
    *H.P. Lovecraft (Most famous for the Cthulhu Mythos and other like works)
    *J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)
    *J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, etc.)
    *Diane Duane (The Young Wizards Series)
    *Sandy Mitchell (The Ciaphas Cain series)
    *Oscar Wilde (The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Ernest, etc.)
    *Edgar Allan Poe (The Raven, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Telltale Heart, etc.)
    *Hunter S. Thompson (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, Hells Angels, etc.)
    *Douglas Adams (The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series)
    *William Shakespeare (Do I really even have to write anything?)

This, as well as dozens more. I would take the time, but I don't want to come out of my room three weeks later to find myself declared legally dead

Two authors come to mind right away for me:

J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter)
    Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe murder mystery series [mid 1930's-1980's])

The Harry Potter series takes several readings to soak in all the little details she places in them and the books are worthy of being read more than once in my opinion.

Nero Wolfe is an obese private detective in New York City who solves cases at his desk with brain power. The narrative is written in the view of the wise-cracking assistant Archie Goodwin. It takes several books to get used to all the ins and outs of the series, but I think they are very well worth reading.

Enjoy whatever you read!

Quote Originally Posted by diaperbobby View Post
    The Harry Potter series takes several readings to soak in all the little details she places in them and the books are worthy of being read more than once in my opinion.
    Hear ye!

This is why anyone who ever, ever dares to say that the Harry Potter series is not fine literature gets a fucking boot to the head. Rowling's writing is simple, brilliant, precognitive, careful, masterfully paced, and socially aware. There's nothing like reading through a series on the third or fourth time and going ... "Holy shit," during say, the second or third book when she's planted a seeded clue for the whole story's ending.

As for my own favorite authors, the list is a little ecclectic and lends itself to no particular order:

Charles Brockden Brown - Edgar Huntly: Or, Memoirs of a Sleepwalker
    John Dos Passos - The USA Trilogy, Three Soldiers
    J.K. Rowling - Seriously, if you don't know...
    Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files
    C.S. Friedman - The Coldfire Trilogy
    Robert B. Parker - Appaloosa
    Conn Iggulden - Emperor, Genghis
    Stephen King - The Green Mile, specifically.
    Walt Whitman - Leaves of Grass

As for philosophers, non-fiction writers, and other poets, I'm an avid reader of John Locke, Adam Smith (The Wealth of Nations, while long, is an amazingly brilliant (if a bit neurotic) read), William Bradford, Anne Bradstreet, Robert Service, Rousseau, and Jeremy Bentham.

Joseph Conrad(Nostromos)
    Last edited by diaperedteenager; 06-Nov-2009 at 02:41. Reason: Forgot Deails

Jules Verne came to mind first but there are so many great authers.

J. D. Salinger: Catcher, Franny and Zooey, Raise High the Roofbeam C
    William Golding: all his works, especially Lord of the Flies, The Spire
    James Joyce....Portraint of an Artist
    Annie Dillard....Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, The Writing Life
    Stephen King....The Stand, Salem's Lot, It, and more....
    Tolkien: Ring series
    J. K. Rowland....Harry Potter
    and you should all read:
    James Agee.....Death in the Family

Salinger is awesome. I didn't garner a better appreciation for him beyond The Catcher in the Rye until I was about 20 or 21, but Franny and Zooey and Nine Stories are two wonderful books!

And Hemingway? Faulker? Seriously, my friend, when are we getting together for some badass coffee to talk about this awesome shit? ^ ^

Christopher Paolini... <_>

well...there are many...but my two favorites that I've been reading lately are..

R.A. Salvator (Forgotten Realms books)
    Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files)
    Frank McCourt (He has at least 3 memoirs...)