Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy Fawkes Night

Default Guy Fawkes Night

Happy Guy Fawkes Night! It's totally the 5th of November, you're supposed to remember. I dunno, I guess it's a bigger deal in England and some of the ex-Commonwealth or whatever, they don't talk about it so much up in Canada but I am familiar. So, ya know, celebrate buy exploding you favourite parliament / government buidling in the most craziest way possible. Or, for the less maniacal and unanarchistic lot, have just set off some fire crackers in your back yard. It's your spin I guess, but here's to a day dedicated to somebody who actually wanted to accomplish something big and meaningful for the good of the people (opinion, I guess) in a government building. Also, hurting people is bad, but it's a fairly inspiring story. Let's celebrate by all listening to the 1812 overture, which was totally written many years after the whole thing had taken place, but come on, V For Vendetta was a cool movie, and the song has cannons. Yay.

"Remember, remember the 5th of November. The gunpowder, treason, and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

Damn, now I want to watch V for Vendetta again...

Quote Originally Posted by andysetra View Post

Damn, now I want to read V for Vendetta again...

FTFY.

e

Never did check it out, but I know how radical Alan Moore is. And normally I think the best books are the one's with pictures, especially colourful ones. So while I can't really say the movie or comic is better (and I'd bet it's the second), it's still a sweet movie man.

Solid point though.

Depending on which side you take its either the celebration and rememberance of a plot that could have changed the course of history by men who wanted to end the subjugation over taxation of poor people by the rich upper classes.

OR

celebration of the fact that this plot was foiled and king James 1st was not blown into a million pieces.

and for your viewing pleasure YouTube - The Gunpowder Plot - Exploding the Legend (1/8)

Yay, Guy Fawkes night!

There's something wonderful about being freezing cold, surrounded by people of all ages, listening to music (we had a Samba band!), watching a bonfire burn and fireworks go off! Not to mention it's a great excuse to get drunk!

Are we celebrating the fact that Fawkes failed? We do burn an effigy of him.
    Or are we celebrating his massive gonads for trying?
    Nobody knows!

It's crazy trying to sleep with fireworks going off... they seeped into my dreams; I had a wonderfully vivid, yet wonderfully terrifying dream about getting blitzed. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Yay, Guy Fawkes night!

Are we celebrating the fact that Fawkes failed? We do burn an effigy of him.
    Or are we celebrating his massive gonads for trying?
    Nobody knows!
    That's part of the fun of it!

I actually had no idea it was celebrated outside of the UK, though I guess it makes sense in the commonwealth countries.

To the OP, we are not celebrating "a day dedicated to somebody who actually wanted to accomplish something big and meaningful for the good of the people" certainly not! More we are celebrating that the monarchy did not get blown up. Which is why (as has been pointed out) it is traditional to burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes on the bonfire.

I guess the fireworks have something to do with symbolising the gunpowder...... or we just like fireworks for the hell of it .

Wow, I thought the point of the day was to celebrate anti-governmentness, but apparently it's split whether Guy Fawkes was doing something good or bad. I'm not from the UK and I've never seen an actual celebration for it, I'm just kinda aware of the whole deal (though apparently not aware enough to understand the true meaning of the festivities and such). Whatever, I hope all you English folks had fun with your bonfires and copious amounts of fireworks and explosisons.