Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about ear problems?

Default Does anyone know anything about ear problems?

Sorry about the awkward title, i couldn't really think of anything better to call it.
    Now to the topic at hand, i fell asleep in the bath a few days ago, when i woke up i had nearly slipped under the surface of the water and my right ear was hurting a little (i could hear perfectly fine, it just hurt). Over the last 4 or 5 days the pain has gradually gotten worse and has also been accompanied by a slight ringing noise, i've also noticed all the sound entering that ear is fainter than the other. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea of what it could be and if it will just go away.
    any help would be much appreciated.

curiousitykitten

sounds like a ear infection, go to the doc for penicillin before you go nuts with the pain and sit in the er with all the germy pplz

Yes , please go...dont be like me and try to wait it out...that just leads to a worse infection and more pain

Well, from the impression you've given me, i think i'd better go to the doctor after school tomorrow.
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by curiousitykitten View Post
    sounds like a ear infection, go to the doc for penicillin before you go nuts with the pain and sit in the er with all the germy pplz
    thanks, i'll try to get the doctor tomorrow after school's finished.
    Last edited by Peachy; 03-Nov-2009 at 20:29. Reason: merging double post - put all thoughts into one post!

The ringing you have in your ears is called tinnitus. I know because I have it. It's definitely not an ear infection because you didn't get water in it or anything, which leads me to believe that you must have moved one of the many bones in your ear. But get it checked out immediately to see if it is something serious, and get your hearing tested as well. GOod luck

It could be glue ear. I had it when I was a child.
    Glue Ear | Health | Patient UK

Still, go to an Otolarygologist to check it out. They may have to get an audiologist to test your hearing afterwards.
    Glue ear has changed my hearing slighty in one of my ears.

Ugh. Happens all the time to me. Go to the doc, but next time at the first sign of infection, place two drops of tea-tree oil in the ear a few times a day and eat lots of garlic (a natural antibiotic). You should still do that now with the antibiotics to help it clear up faster and with less icky chemicals in your body.

Thanks, i'll give that a try as well. I just hope this clears up before my exams next week.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post
    place two drops of tea-tree oil in the ear a few times a day and eat lots of garlic (a natural antibiotic). You should still do that now with the antibiotics to help it clear up faster and with less icky chemicals in your body.
    nei your such a hippie,but we love you anyway

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by BluTack View Post
    It could be glue ear. I had it when I was a child.
    Glue Ear | Health | Patient UK

Still, go to an Otolarygologist to check it out. They may have to get an audiologist to test your hearing afterwards.
    Glue ear has changed my hearing slighty in one of my ears.
    Either this or it's simply water logged.

Place your thumb just behind your lobe, and middle and index finger around the top half of your ear. Tilting your head so that ear is facing down, squeeze it a couple of times. Then lay down for 10 or so minutes, ear still facing down, and see if it drains.

If not, there's a variety of over-the-counter ear solutions you can use to wash it out. But the easiest thing to do would be to just see a doctor so you can get the right thing the first time.