13 37.14%
  • Both

2 5.71%
  • Other (explain)

5 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 or Xbox 360?

Default PS3 or Xbox 360?

So before you say which console is better, think about it. Over all which is the better console, think about games, hardware, consistancy, amount of releases, online service, cost, ect.

I guess my answer is somewhat biased because I am a 360 gamer therefore always lean towards 360. Don't get me wrong, I love the PS3. It does alot more than the xbox 360 does (I think). But...

I would say 360 because it 1) has more games released, 2) more consistent games by terms of what they were originally developed to be, and 3) it just seems like a more pro console. I havn't seen any PS3 competitions on TV, only 360. The PS3's hardware is better, much better. But untill the devs figure out how to use it properly, Im with 360.

I think 360 would be the better choice.

The main reason is because of Xbox live runs better then the Playstations.

Now days there only a few Elusive games out for both systems both sides are great but when it come to muilt-platform games xbox most times have the better deals.

Despite what people say about xbox getting RROD, PlayStation get problems just as much just not recorded.

I will be getting a PS3 next year no matter what, then I will have all 3 consoles ^_^

I like the 360, just seems like the controler layout is better; plus you can do the same things that you can on the PS3 the only differance is that the 360 doesn't have a BlueRay player.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I like the 360, just seems like the controler layout is better; plus you can do the same things that you can on the PS3 the only differance is that the 360 doesn't have a BlueRay player.
    True, Xbox 360 controller was rated as the best layout for FPS games. But yes it does blow that it doesn't have a bueray in it. (Buy I have a bluray anyways and 106 inch screen and 7.1 sorround and.. okay shutting up.)

As for problems, I have had my fair share of RROD (stuff gets loose if you don't buy the warranty, they kick it to your house lol. No, but they are rather delicate if you don't get the elite which is tougher) and Im pretty sure PS3 has its problems too. Alot of folks pile stiff on their power supplies and frie them.

I can't give a fair comparison because I've never actually played a 360. I own a PS3, so that's what I voted for.

When I was deciding what system to get, what was most important to me was:

1) Games I'm interested in playing. The 360 does have a larger library than the PS3, but I'm not a huge fan of FPS or online gaming... I was more interested in stuff like God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet. I also never owned a PS2 but had a long list of exclusives I really wanted to play--and since I was able to get a backwards compatible PS3, its ability to upscale PS2 games was tempting.

2) Reliability of the console. When I was looking to buy, RROD was pretty widespread (have they sorted that out now?). The PS3 can fail, too, but its failure rate didn't seem to be nearly as high.

3) Ability to upgrade a PS3 with non-proprietary components. The biggest thing is the hard drive. Microsoft really overcharges for its proprietary drives for the 360...

4) The nerd in me drooled over the potential of the PS3 hardware. How well developers will utilize it remains to be seen, I guess. For right now, it seems that 360 and PS3 graphics are reasonably on-par (though I am going off of screenshots here--really do need to get my hands on a 360).

5) Blu-ray sweetened the deal.

PS3 - If only for the fact that for $299, you get everything except the second 6-axis controller. Xbox makes a lot of items extra cost options.

My main gripes on the PS3 are that there aren't games that properly use the 6-axis hardware beyond a few novelty items, and WHERE the @#%^ is Grand Turismo 5 ??!?

Anyway, I saw some screencaps from Forza3 for Xbox, and I might have to get one, if only for that game!

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    I can't give a fair comparison because I've never actually played a 360. I own a PS3, so that's what I voted for.

When I was deciding what system to get, what was most important to me was:

1) Games I'm interested in playing. The 360 does have a larger library than the PS3, but I'm not a huge fan of FPS or online gaming... I was more interested in stuff like God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet. I also never owned a PS2 but had a long list of exclusives I really wanted to play--and since I was able to get a backwards compatible PS3, its ability to upscale PS2 games was tempting.

2) Reliability of the console. When I was looking to buy, RROD was pretty widespread (have they sorted that out now?). The PS3 can fail, too, but its failure rate didn't seem to be nearly as high.

3) Ability to upgrade a PS3 with non-proprietary components. The biggest thing is the hard drive. Microsoft really overcharges for its proprietary drives for the 360...

4) The nerd in me drooled over the potential of the PS3 hardware. How well developers will utilize it remains to be seen, I guess. For right now, it seems that 360 and PS3 graphics are reasonably on-par (though I am going off of screenshots here--really do need to get my hands on a 360).

5) Blu-ray sweetened the deal.
    Very good points here.

PS3s problems weren't as widley documented as the 360s RROD. As for the hard drive, I agree. I got a twenty gig drive for 60 bucks! Now you can get 1.5 TERRABYTE hardrives for computers for 100 bucks! It is possible to mod your hardrive to another drive to make it larger. (might do it, it a SATA harddrive so the cables are in there somewere. Also means I have the ability to attach it my motherboard...)

One thing, never trust screen shots. They don't capture how well any console plays a game. If you on Cod 5, find a screenshot from the PS3 (or 360 version) version, go to that same place, you will find no difference.

Also with the backwards compatibility, it will only upgrade load times. No graphics or anything are upscaled in any way (well, maybe the possible amount of entities before it starts to lag). Same with old xbox games, nothing changes. It just loads 10 times as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionxi1 View Post
    Very good points here.

PS3s problems weren't as widley documented as the 360s RROD. As for the hard drive, I agree. I got a twenty gig drive for 60 bucks! Now you can get 1.5 TERRABYTE hardrives for computers for 100 bucks! It is possible to mod your hardrive to another drive to make it larger. (might do it, it a SATA harddrive so the cables are in there somewere. Also means I have the ability to attach it my motherboard...)

One thing, never trust screen shots. They don't capture how well any console plays a game. If you on Cod 5, find a screenshot from the PS3 (or 360 version) version, go to that same place, you will find no difference.

Also with the backwards compatibility, it will only upgrade load times. No graphics or anything are upscaled in any way (well, maybe the possible amount of entities before it starts to lag). Same with old xbox games, nothing changes. It just loads 10 times as fast.
    Depends which PS3 you get. The one with Hardware backwards compatibility (the old 80gb) does upscale PS2 games. Obviously this works better with some games than others.

I'm personally a 360 gamer, because I prefer XBL to PSN. At some point in the future I'll probaly buy a PS3 as my RL friends are split 50/50 between PSN and XBL

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post
    Depends which PS3 you get. The one with Hardware backwards compatibility (the old 80gb) does upscale PS2 games. Obviously this works better with some games than others.

I'm personally a 360 gamer, because I prefer XBL to PSN. At some point in the future I'll probaly buy a PS3 as my RL friends are split 50/50 between PSN and XBL
    I was unaware of the different PS3 versions you could get, how well does it upscale the games? When I think of upscale I can't help to think extra shaders, depth of field, ect. But I guess you could have better antialiasing and such things that are underlying with the GPU.

Another upside of PS3, PSN is free unlike XBL. But it doesn't really matter, 60 dollars (here) gets you 13 months of live. Lots of time to earn that money back...

Someone has to do it so it might as well be me..

The PS3 and 360 are both the PC's bitch. PC gaming does not require much money, plus gaming computers can do all sorts of things other then games.

But as for the 360 vs PS3.. The PS3 wins hardware wise, however the only developer that used that extra horse power was Free Radical and the studio that made Rouge squadron Factor 5 I think. Both quickly under after they developed games for the PS3 only, mainly since their games for it sucked. But there also were not that many PS3's on the market at the time. It was a catch 22.

Crytek UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Factor 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both very good game companies and both had their final games on the PS3 exclusively. I think this is why the PS3 does not see many of its own games asides for mammoth companies that have money to bleed or have a lot of Sony support.

Plus its just easier to design a game for the 360, then port it to the PS3. You also get more potential customers that way. SE saw this and that's why Final Fantasy will now be on both systems. Not that Final Fantasy is good anymore though. :P