Thread: Foot Powder?

Default Foot Powder?

I tried using "Total Body brand Foot Powder" instead of baby powder today. I heard that it burned ridiculously. Am I wierd that I am not affected? This powder does not have that "baby scent" that makes me nervous going out in public. It smells more minty and masks the smell of pee well. It contains: Talc, Salicylic Acid, and Methyl Salicylate.

I don't think it's a smart idea to be experimenting with stuff like that when you don't know what it will do.

Well those chemicals you listed are common in skin care products (shampoo's, spot cream etc) and while some are sensitive most aren't so it's not unusual but I would be careful about using it as baby powder. The effect of those on your intimate areas may be different so I'd switch to regular baby powder just to be safe.

I used to use similar powders for wearing to work because of the smell. It would burn sometimes, but only if I already had a rash. I have since switched to regular baby power, as my deodorant has a strong enough scent to trump the smell of the powder.

Gold Bond will burn because it's medicated, unless the powder you use has some sort of medication it probably will not burn/irritate.

I'm not crazy about the smell of baby powder so I just buy talc or mild scented powder at wally world.

Foot powder and baby powder are two completely different things and should not be mixed. It is just like salt and sugar. Baby powder isn't really good for the feet, and foot powder is especially not good for the crotch. You're lucky you didn't get burned. Don't add salt to cake.

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Foot powder and baby powder are two completely different things and should not be mixed. It is just like salt and sugar. Baby powder isn't really good for the feet, and foot powder is especially not good for the crotch. You're lucky you didn't get burned. Don't add salt to cake.
    Actually, baby powder can be good for the feet. My mom uses baby powder all over herself to keep her skin soft and dry.

Just sayin.

Foot powder and baby powder are indeed similar in their function, insofar as they both absorb moisture and are both either talc or cornstarch based. The variety you're using (assuming you've listed all the ingredients) seems tame -- just be aware that salicylic acid/methyl salicylate are analgesics, closely related to aspirin, which may make you a little... numb. They might also burn -- I've never gotten an analgesic up my urethra so I wouldn't know :P
    But as has been said before, do be careful when experimenting. A tip: read ingredient lists carefully and know what each thing does. Many foot powders contain boric acid, for example, which I wouldn't want to get on any sensitive skin, as well as menthol, which, I believe, is usually what causes burning.

I normally use baby powder. However, if you get a rash, powder used for jock itch or athlete's foot will help. They may also burn a little. In my case, powders containing miconazole nitrate are the only thing that will clear up a diaper rash quickly. Just beware that people differ on how their skin reacts to any medicated powder.