Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Question

Default Last Question

Alright, today I plan to tell my parents that I would like to see a psych. So, how is the best way to ask?

What would be the best way to put it as to not get a shocked response from them?

When is the best time to bring it up?

Some guidance would be nice.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Alright, today I plan to tell my parents that I would like to see a psych. So, how is the best way to ask?

What would be the best way to put it as to not get a shocked response from them?

In the end, these are all questions that you'll know the answers to best, since we don't know what your parents are like, but I'll try to give you some advice...

There isn't any "best" way to ask your parents to see a psychologist. I'd suggest simply telling them that you feel as if it'd be helpful if you were to see one. If they ask why, you could either tell them the truth (whatever that truth may be), or you could sugarcoat it and say something like, "I want to talk to someone about some issues I'm having, someone who can give me professional insight."

If you don't want a shocked response, then don't say anything shocking. Don't mention suicide, or depression, or fetishes. You could say that you've been feeling "down" lately, and feel that it would help if you saw a psychologist about it. You could keep it completely private, if you want, and just say that you don't feel comfortable discussing the reasons with them.

If your parents have any common sense, they'll understand.

You don't have to worry about them finding out why you're seeing a psychologist if you don't want them to. Psychologists keep everything discussed confidential, unless they're told otherwise by you, or whatever is being discussed is very likely to harm yourself, or another person.

Lastly, the best time to tell them would be at home, when there isn't any company over. Make sure your parent(s) isn't/aren't busy with anything, they need to have their full attention on you. If they're watching tv or something, ask them to turn it off for a moment so you can discuss something with them. The most important part, though, is the bit about company. Don't bring it up when there are people over. This is a private questions between you and your parents, and should be kept as such.

Good luck, I hope you get all the help that you're looking for.

And good job for finally taking some initiative about this.

Mom, dad, I'd like to talk through some things with someone. Someone ... professional. Can you help me find someone like that?

You don't need help, all your problems are simple teen age problems, they will go away look toward your real life when you finally out of school.

Do the best you can with what you have, you don't need some drug to make you feel better about yourself, which I think will happen if you see a shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    You don't need help, all your problems are simple teen age problems, they will go away look toward your real life when you finally out of school.

Do the best you can with what you have, you don't need some drug to make you feel better about yourself, which I think will happen if you see a shrink.
    The way he deals with his problems are not in a typical teenaged way, gauging by some of his responses and thoughts in his other threads.

A "shrink" won't make him take any drugs if DT doesn't want to. But I strongly suggest that DT talk to a therapist, because at least he'll have a professional, unbiased, and private person to talk to.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post

...Either you're spouting completely random shit..

Or you need to include the posts you're secretly quoting..

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    The way he deals with his problems are not in a typical teenaged way, gauging by some of his responses and thoughts in his other threads.

A "shrink" won't make him take any drugs if DT doesn't want to. But I strongly suggest that DT talk to a therapist, because at least he'll have a professional, unbiased, and private person to talk to.
    Right...I went back and looked at some of the stuff I posted here and it is very disturbing to read and I am just really sick of feeling like this. And at least a professional can give me some insight as to why I am like this and what can be done to combat it.

My biggest fear is that I could be committed, but I hopefully shouldn't have to worry about that.

Right...I went back and looked at some of the stuff I posted here and it is very disturbing to read and I am just really sick of feeling like this. And at least a professional can give me some insight as to why I am like this and what can be done to combat it.

My biggest fear is that I could be committed, but I hopefully shouldn't have to worry about that.

You are not going to be commited, lol. It would probably be good to have a person in "real life" to talk to, and share your problems with. Someone you can trust, while knowing they aren't going to say anything to your parents.

I asked my mom today!

I said "Does our insurance cover psychologists"?

"Yeah I think so, why...do you want to see one"?

"Yeah I have been feeling under the weather lately"

"Oh you're fine...you're just growing up"
    (her voice started to tremble)

"No...I want to see one, I have some things that I want to talk about"

"Like what"?

"Some things"

She has agreed to make me an appointment, but IDK if that will happen, I think she her self is in denial about what I just said. I really hope I can go to one. If not...well I don't Know what I will do.

I asked my mom today!

I said "Does our insurance cover psychologists"?

"Yeah I think so, why...do you want to see one"?

"Yeah I have been feeling under the weather lately"

"Oh you're fine...you're just growing up"
    (her voice started to tremble)

"No...I want to see one, I have some things that I want to talk about"

"Like what"?

"Some things"

She has agreed to make me an appointment, but IDK if that will happen, I think she her self is in denial about what I just said. I really hope I can go to one. If not...well I don't Know what I will do.
    I'm so pleased for you! This is really good to see, and hopefully the beginning of you feeling significantly better about things.

Insofar as your mom, her thoughts are probably going to drugs, suicide, murder, and so forth. *shrug* Give her a night to sleep on it, then see if you can run down a psychologist who seems good together.