Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfortunate Announcement

Default Unfortunate Announcement

I have "Swine Flu".

I looked up all the symptoms, and it is looking quite that way. The girl that sits next to me in spanish is now out with it...so it's not looking to good. Lets hope im not a casualty!

Quote Originally Posted by xChasex View Post
    I have "Swine Flu".

I looked up all the symptoms, and it is looking quite that way. The girl that sits next to me in spanish is now out with it...so it's not looking to good. Lets hope im not a casualty!
    H1N1, and do everything you can (fluids, rest, isolation) to improve your odds (and the odds of those around you).

If this is a self-diagnosis, you need to get to a lab ASAP and have a blood draw done. If these are lab results, you need to tell your family that you're sorry, but they're likely going to have some bad times ahead too.

The odds of dying from swine flu are pretty slim. Yes, alot of people have died from it but look at how many poeple get infected with it. I have friends who got swine flu and they're fine. As long as you don't have any serious medical problems that could affect how well you take sickness, your odds are next to nothing. Even if you do have some medical problem the odds are still way out there.

Don't be concerned about it, unless it gets really really bad. Just do the stuff you do to pull through a normal flu. Lots of rest, lots of fluids, ect.

If you have had normal flu shots before that will help, it wont make you immune to swine flu (DUH) but it will help your body defend against it.

Swine flu is just the flu... You won't die unless you have serious medical conditions where you would die with a normal flu too!

The media has just been putting a lot of misinformation out there that this flu will kill us all... Chin up, you'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    Swine flu is just the flu... You won't die unless you have serious medical conditions where you would die with a normal flu too!

The media has just been putting a lot of misinformation out there that this flu will kill us all... Chin up, you'll be fine!
    This

First off, in almost all cases the bottom line mentioned previously is right, swine flu is no different than the normal flu, you will be sick and you will get over it. That said, what is concerning about the swine flu is that unlike the normal flu the people dying aren't only the people who are at a higher risk, but those who were otherwise healthy are also suffering from severe cases, basically one train of thought is that the reason for the complications in these cases is actually an overreaction of an otherwise competent immune system. Again, in your case, there is no reason to be concerned, but it is important that people are aware that it is possible that an otherwise healthy person who has really bad symptoms, and that in those cases they should contact their doctor.

As far as testing goes, the latest recommendations I have seen, said that basically unless it will change the clinical course it is not necessary, assuming you have the flu, you feel sick, and then you start to recover in a normal course there really isn’t much that having that diagnosis will do, and there are a limited number of resources. That said, you should call, but not visit, your doctor’s office just to confirm the latest recommendations since the CDC likes to change things on us every now and then. And of course if you have any serious symptoms or are very concerned you can go to your local emergency department, though it would be appreciated if everyone with the normal flu symptoms didn't show up, just make for a little less crowding.

As far as treatment, again, the CDC isn’t recommending tamiflu for everyone, and in your case you probably wouldn’t fall under the "recommended" group but it is something I would probably take regardless since I have access to it assuming i had flu like symptoms since it has been shown to be effective in reducing the length of illness.

As far as letting people who live with you know, it will be most important if any of them have any serious medical conditions so they can seek prophylactic treatment to prevent a serious illness.

Again, you should always consult your doctor for medical advice, and this is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your own physician or other qualified health care professional regarding any medical questions or conditions.

I'm sure you will be fine, I'm rather ill at the moment but don't think it's swine flu. Just keep your fluids up, stay inside and don't worry about it!

A lot of the time, if you worry about something it will only get worse Personally i believe a lot of it's in your head, learn to control it and your sorted (am i talking complete crap?)

Our county in the State of Oregon has been placed on a medical emergency status due to three deaths to teens by the Swine Flu. Take all precautions and steps to get through this. Apparently my generation was exposed to the swine flu in the 60's (thereby have a greater immunity) and that may be why the younger generation has had a tougher time with this flu. Do take care!

Butterfly Mage

Intent is always of aid when fighting an illness. People who are generally positive recover from illnesses faster than those who are generally negative. Visualize your immune system beating the infection. Say to yourself "I will be healthy again soon".

9/10 times, the swine flu is just the flu. Honestly, it's a lot of hype and scare tactics from the media, like everything is to make news. There are rare cases it will affect you differently and it can affect the younger population more seriously than the normal flu, but don't stress out. That makes it worse.

The thing with the swine flu is, treatment once you have it probably won't be any different than with normal flu. Fluids and rest. It's a virus, so there isn't much to be done about it once it has you. There are a few antivirals that can be prescribed (such as relenza I think, a neuraminidase inhibitor), but their effects are so-so and there is no "cure" as with bacterial infections. Viruses are tricky little things.

But be calm. You'll be fine. Sick, yes. But you'll end up fine. That is, if you have it at all. Self-diagnosis often leads to unnecessary headaches and stress. Go to a doctor and at least get some closure on the issue.