Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Fairs

Default State Fairs

So every year I like going to the North Carolina State Fair. It's like an amusement park, but with more unique kinds of foods and more farm like displays and shows. I mainly love riding the rides, but like amusement parks, I get a kick out of being surrounded by colorful plushies.

I used to think that State Fairs were only a Southern thing, but I've talked to a number of people and have heard that a lot of states have them. I know that they don't always occur at the same time of year, but I would imagine that the fall is the most common time.

So, for you US people, does your state have a State Fair? And do you like going to it?

I don't think we have a state fair in New York, but we do have county fairs. They generally draw a pretty big crowd, they generally last for a week. There's the generic carnival rides, artery-clogging food and generally a few headlining acts and there is a good chance at some tractor's being pulled for no good reason other than to waste gas and make noise.

For obvious reasons, they generally hold them here in July and August since it's too cold now to have one.

we have mini carnivals here and there. but the BIGGST is the sydney royal easter show, its technically an agricltural festival where farmers bring in stock for judging. but theres rides, food, animakl shows and events in this big central stadium.
    2009 Sydney Royal Easter Show here we go, thats the website and it mostly details this years show (its annual)

Heh...Well obviously my state does

Was planning to go this year, but I got busy with other stuff...that tends to happen. I never live by schedules anyway. Maybe next year.

Glad you had a good time there.

I know Minnesota has one of the biggest state fairs in the country and is a big deal for a lot of people. I like going to the Minnesota State Fair, but I haven't had a chance to go since I started college. My favorite thing to do is eat all the wonderfully bad for you food, drink all home made beers and wines, and go shopping at the bazaar.
    Last edited by babymace; 26-Oct-2009 at 01:58.

We have a state fair here. I've only been a few times when i was younger.

My family used to go to a state fair here pretty regularly when I was a kid. It's still running and I hear it's still a good time for children at least. I've thought of returning to have a look, but I'd hate to have my good memories tainted. There's also a larger annual fair to the south that seems to have grown out of any reasonable proportion. Several people who have been to both seem to prefer the smaller, state fair.

Peachy

It's called "Freimarkt" (Free Market) here - an annual event in the last 2 weeks of October, and I'll go visit it again tomorrow night. The first Free Market was held in 1035 (!), so it's 974 years old (thank God the attractions have changed since then).
    Here's a picture I took like 2 years ago:
    https://www.adisc.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87

Peachy

angelabauer

Here in California the official State Fair is held in Sacramento. I have never gone to that.

The good news is that not only do most California counties have fairs nearly as large, there are regional fairs for parts of counties. The Los Angeles County Fair is held for several weeks following Labor Day in Pomona. My folks took me to my first L.A. county fair a couple of months after I was born. The only ones I missed were 1981 to 1988 when I was back East in school. At such a fair you can really get in touch with your inner child.

Here in Southern California I also enjoy the Ventura, Kern, Riverside, Orange, San Diego and San Bernardino County Fairs, plus the regional fair in Lancaster. In 1992 Don and I went to the county fair in Santa Rosa, which was a hoot and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    It's called "Freimarkt" (Free Market) here - an annual event in the last 2 weeks of October, and I'll go visit it again tomorrow night. The first Free Market was held in 1035 (!), so it's 974 years old (thank God the attractions have changed since then).
    Here's a picture I took like 2 years ago:
    https://www.adisc.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87

Peachy
    BREMEN....omygods that explains that old tale about the three musicians..