Thread: Infected Wisdom Tooth Socket

Unhappy Infected Wisdom Tooth Socket

So I just recently had two wisdom teeth removed (last Friday) and my bottom right one hurts like a mofo. My sister was fine after two days. She didn't even need meds after that. Unfortunately, if I don't take any meds, it feels like someone is trying to pull a tooth out (ironically enough).

Just curious if anyone has any quick pain remedies. Alcohol didn't work (maybe I need to get completely smashed). 1000 mg of Motrin didn't work. Help?

HOLY SHIZA!!!

1000mg of motrin?!?! If that didn't kill you I dont know what will! Oh wait, I dont know the dosages of motrin...

My brother had migrains you see, he took motrin ALL the time. Soon they were getting worse so we went to the doctor (after about 6 or 7 years on the stuff) and hes like *facepalm* Stop taking motrin, hes getting trashed on it causing his migrains. He now doesn't have migrains because he doesn't take 2 adult doses a day. lol.

Anyways, try other medications. Im not sure if you just get it over the counter but codien (I think, it's said 'k-O-deen'). When I broke my arm I was in constant pain, it helped lots. Carful though, I have heard it can be a little addictive. Other than that, ice is all I can think of. Its uncomfortable but if you leave it there for 15 minutes your face is numb and you cant feel anything.

secretdl26

Actually no pain medication will really help all that much. You should go back to your oral surgeon and have them drain the socket. They'll then put something in the socket to help with the pain and speed up the healing of it, and then prescribe antibiotics.

As for the pain? Try focusing your mind away from the pain, in addition to a reasonable dose of ibuprofen or something like it. I'd say going in to get it taken care of is the only true solution.

Note on infected wisdom teeth; the bottom ones are the only ones that get infected because they do not drain well (gravity).

Quote Originally Posted by secretdl26 View Post
    Actually no pain medication will really help all that much. You should go back to your oral surgeon and have them drain the socket. They'll then put something in the socket to help with the pain and speed up the healing of it, and then prescribe antibiotics.

As for the pain? Try focusing your mind away from the pain, in addition to a reasonable dose of ibuprofen or something like it. I'd say going in to get it taken care of is the only true solution.

Note on infected wisdom teeth; the bottom ones are the only ones that get infected because they do not drain well (gravity).
    Yeah I actually already went in today. They did put in a gooey, gauze-like thing. It helped substantially. Off medicine, it still hurts. I haven't bothered to take anything yet. I'm trying to see if it will get as bad as it was previously.

Also, they prescribed Vicodin, Ibuprofen (800mg), and Prednisone. The "Motrin" I took was actually 5 x 200 mg generic Ibuprofen tablets.

Ouch, buddy, that sucks. I had all four of mine removed the summer before last, hurt like a bitch. I was in horrible pain for at least 2 weeks. I would also suggest getting one of those thong sling things for your face, and icepacking your tooth. That may help a little bit.

Get that checked out if you havn't already. I heard an infected wisdom tooth socket can get serious real fast.

I got all my wisdom teeth pulled at 16. Almost no pain whatsoever. I think I'm just one of the lucky ones though.

I had all four impacted in the bone and basically chiseled out. Couldn't open my mouth all the way for a while. Plus one of them got infected. Not a huge amount of pain since my tolerance is high, but it took 2 courses of antibiotics to get rid of it.

As for pain...well vicodin does pretty well in many cases, but the thing about pain medicine is that they work different in each person. Some people won't get touched by, say, morphine, while Dilaudid works wonders on them. A lot of people tell me percocet doesn't do much for them, but others are just fine with it. So it's kind of a bit of experimentation each time you get a med, which is the job of the doctor to figure out. Plus people that are used to pain medicine for chronic conditions get accustomed to it and their body adjusts so that they have huge doses that would knock out a regular individual and even send them into respiratory depression and cause major issues. The body is an interesting thing.

The prednisone might help, since it should reduce the inflammation and such and can get at pain other medicines can't. Just don't get the live nasal flu vaccine while you are taking it, or any other vaccine really. It can mess with the immune system, although I doubt your dose is high and it's a temporary short course, so this probably isn't an issue, since it takes a bit for that stuff to happen.

Also, don't go crazy with the NSAID's (like ibuoprofen) with any sort of steroid, since you it can irritate the stomach and cause ulceration, but again, you are young and probably healthy and the dose probably isn't much, so this most likely isn't an issue. Plus the doctor would know all this stuff :P

Plus, that kind of oral pain tends to work differently than other bodily pain it seems. So try to distract yourself and not think about it. Although that's easier said than done.

Anyway, just my two cents. Listen to your doctor, that's the best advice

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Pain hasn't improved much, but I go back to have them check it out on Monday again. They will take out the dressing they put in to help with the infection.