Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadway Shows

Default Broadway Shows

This thread is for everybody who has experienced a Broadway show -- or any other outstanding theatrical performance, for that matter -- that they would like to share!

The main reason for starting this thread is because I myself had an outstanding theater experience a few weeks ago. I got the chance to go to New York and see Jersey Boys and The Little Mermaid, both of which were breath-taking shows.

I have to admit, Jersey Boys -- a show that retells the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons -- was definitely my favorite of the two. As opposed to just being a usual jukebox musical, the musical actually has a point and purpose in this intensely poignant show. I was lucky enough that I got to see pretty much the entire original cast, the ones with whom I'd gotten familiar with from the recording, so everything felt so familiar. For anyone who might ever get a chance to see this show, I highly encourage them to do so -- it touches upon all different types of emotion. The only thing that I can say against it is that casting, in any performance, needs to be impeccable. Frankie Valli's falsetto voice is something that not many people can emulate, and to keep it up for two-and-a-half hours means that it's got to be natural talent.

Interestingly enough, I read about a "Frankie Valli" workshop that was opened since this show hit Broadway and other large towns. Apparently, when a Frankie is cast, they send him away for several weeks to train him in Valli-falsetto!

As for The Little Mermaid, the special effects were outstanding. Managing to take a mostly-underwater Disney tale to the stage is no small feat. To emulate undersea movement, actors and actresses wore heelies and discreet roller-skates, which smoothed their movement and presence on-stage. The effects were amazing -- seeing Ursula with automated tentacles that stretch the whole of the stage was an awesome experience! There's plenty of color for the kids (and adults, too), and if you're a big Little Mermaid afficianado, there are about ten new songs that were never in the movie!

I just decided today, too, that I'm going to be putting out the cash to go to see Cat On A Hot Tin Roof with Terrence Howard and James Early Jones sometime before June. Those are two amazing actors in one of my favorite shows; how can it be missed?

So, are there any shows that you've loved? Shows that you've hated? Shows that you've been in? Share your stories!

I saw Cats and I loved it. The cast alternates between moving about the stage like people and like cats. They sing about special characters and how they live and die (go off to the Heaviside Layer (a part of the Earth's atmosphere that is very high altitude). Some of the music is popular (the song Memories, for instance). The cast members also crawl around in the audience at times and tease the people watching the show.

I loved it. I might have said that before. Sadly it has left Broadway but is still touring and is out on DVD. I watched it again just the other day.

edit: other shows I've seen are Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Chicago
    Last edited by skinnypuppy; 25-Mar-2008 at 03:46. Reason: drop a few more names

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, I haven't been to Broadway, but my city council places a lot of emphasis on modern cultural entertainment within art and theatre. There are quite a few theatres around and I've seen a handful of shows before, which I thoroughly enjoyed seeing. Even the local productions are great to see because the live aspects are much more invigorating than cinema. They really capture what life was/can be like here in this city.

i have gone to broadway a few times (only 45 minutes away) and the latest play i saw was Tarzan it was really good

I went and saw Monty Python Spamalot ... It was so hilarious. $20 to stand up the back of the audience to watch but well worth it. It's kind of like the Holy Grail with extra things added in.
    "We must get to broadway."
    "I'm sorry sir we can't get to broadway."
    "Why not?"
    "Well sir... we don't have any jews. Every broadway show has jews behind them and if you don't have any jews you can't get in."
    queue jew song
    "Actually sir... I'm a jew."
    "Well why didn't you say so?"
    "A jew in a pack of heavily armed christian crusaders? I'm not stupid your highness"

wicked! such a cool preformance. the stage was amazing, the acters were increadable, the storyline was superb, and the songs are still stuck in my head.

but i also read the book, holy crap. the book was so weird. it was amazing yes, beat out the play by a long shot, but it was the strangest story ive ever read. and it was so different than the play. the only similarities between the book and play are their names. they even believe different things. one example is in the play, alfaba loved and idalised the wizard, but in the book, she hated the wizard all the way through.

Well well well Ive only seen Phantom , Lion king twice and Annie get your gun. I am surprised to see such a good review of the littler mermaid. I hope to go see it one day. That or end up on the tour haha. I work with theatrical shows but i haven't worked on anything big like a broadway show haha. Oh well I know the assistant lighting designer of Jersey Boys and ya. Okay im done....

Quote Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
    I went and saw Monty Python Spamalot ... It was so hilarious. $20 to stand up the back of the audience to watch but well worth it. It's kind of like the Holy Grail with extra things added in.
    "We must get to broadway."
    "I'm sorry sir we can't get to broadway."
    "Why not?"
    "Well sir... we don't have any jews. Every broadway show has jews behind them and if you don't have any jews you can't get in."
    queue jew song
    "Actually sir... I'm a jew."
    "Well why didn't you say so?"
    "A jew in a pack of heavily armed christian crusaders? I'm not stupid your highness"
    I saw Spamalot, and I'd have to say it's my all-time favorite musical! I'm a big Monty Python fan and to see the Holy Grail on Broadway was just fantastic.

I also enjoyed the musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Great storyline, very original and exciting.

BTW Aidy, there are a few inconsistencies with your quotes, but great to see another fan of the show!

Yeah i know ... I've only watched it once. I can quote the movie but the show has difference so couldn't memorise.

It wasn't on Broadway but I saw Rent which was really amazing. And in April im going to see Avenue Q.