Thread: Windows 7 / XP Dual-boot problem!

Default Windows 7 / XP Dual-boot problem!

So I just got a copy of Windows 7 pro and installed it.

There's just one itty bitty HUGE ENORMOUSLY BAD PROBLEM.

I can't boot to XP anymore! I know (I am 100% POSITIVE) that I did NOT overwrite the XP partition, but it doesn't show in the boot manager and I can't get the boot select screen to show up!

This wouldn't matter as much if it weren't for the fact that windows 7 isn't recognizing my 360GB HDD, which has all my movies and music on it.

Someone help!

Quote Originally Posted by Manveru View Post
    So I just got a copy of Windows 7 pro and installed it.

There's just one itty bitty HUGE ENORMOUSLY BAD PROBLEM.

I can't boot to XP anymore! I know (I am 100% POSITIVE) that I did NOT overwrite the XP partition, but it doesn't show in the boot manager and I can't get the boot select screen to show up!

This wouldn't matter as much if it weren't for the fact that windows 7 isn't recognizing my 360GB HDD, which has all my movies and music on it.

Someone help!
    Make a backup of the MBR.
    Restore the old MBR.
    Hope to hell that this nudges Windows XP into booting.

Failing this, you can FORCE disc recovery. There are some software packages (Acronis is one that I tend to use) that can read the actual file structure of a drive and rebuilt the FAT/MBR/etc. This will take a bit of time, but it's a pretty good alternative to just giving up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Windows overwrites the MBR when installing.

=> You can't dual boot windows and windows without effort.

I don't know much more than that, as I never dual boot Windows and Windows.

Does it give any error messages?

Example.. NTDLR is missing etc...

Windows Vista (from my experience, and I'm assuming 7 inherited this trait) will overwrite the MBR of other hard drives in the computer as well.

I was dual booting XP/Vista with two separate hard drives in the computer and Vista installed to the correct hard drive, but wrote itself to the boot sectors of both hard drives (so if I changed the bios to boot off the XP drive, it would send me to the Vista drive...)

Run recovery console
    fixboot
    fixmbr

problem solved.

From then on, I always unplug any other drive when repartioning/formatting/installing an OS. It's actually a good habit to get into, just in case you wipe the wrong drive

Quote Originally Posted by andysetra View Post
    Windows Vista (from my experience, and I'm assuming 7 inherited this trait) will overwrite the MBR of other hard drives in the computer as well.

I was dual booting XP/Vista with two separate hard drives in the computer and Vista installed to the correct hard drive, but wrote itself to the boot sectors of both hard drives (so if I changed the bios to boot off the XP drive, it would send me to the Vista drive...)

Run recovery console
    fixboot
    fixmbr

problem solved.

From then on, I always unplug any other drive when repartioning/formatting/installing an OS. It's actually a good habit to get into, just in case you wipe the wrong drive

I've never had any problem with this myself and I triple boot, WinXP Pro, Win 7, ubuntu 9.01 But it's all how you install it too.