• Now (the present)

6 21.43%
  • 10 Years Ago (1999-2001)

23 82.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rap Music: Today or 10 Years Ago

Default Rap Music: Today or 10 Years Ago

Which is better? The Lil' Wayne, T-Pain, Kanye West, Drake, 50 Cent, and Ludacris music that is there today or the Eminem, OutKast, Nas, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, and Common that existed only 10 years ago?

This modern rap is shit. 2 Pac, Dre, Eminem, and JayZ are the only rappers I can stand

Mako

Need an older option. 10 years ago still sucked. Run DMC, IceT, Wu-Tang Clan, 2pac, Beastie Boys, and Biggie Smalls. All better and more talented then what you have today. Eminem was the lone exception, though he's become tired and formulated now.

Is it possible for me to opt for a, "None of the above," response?

secretdl26

Uhmm, I picked now, but neither would fit better.
    I think the underground rap scene is definitely more enjoyable than the mainstream stuff.
    I voted "now" because the underground scene in my hometown are has grown significantly over the past 10 years, and has become a truly unique and amazing scene (led mainly by Rhymesayers). Also, I think while there may have been more originality (lyrics, beats, etc.) in the older mainstream rap, there's a lot of innovation going on with rap today.

10 years ago for sure. Granted, theres still some good rappers out today.. (Point Blank is pretty sick, but they're starting to get crappy) just look underground for the good rap.

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Which is better? The Lil' Wayne, T-Pain, Kanye West, Drake, 50 Cent, and Ludacris music that is there today or the Eminem, OutKast, Nas, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, and Common that existed only 10 years ago?
    None of the above. You're missing a "20-25 years ago" option here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
    This modern rap is shit. 2 Pac, Dre, Eminem, and JayZ are the only rappers I can stand
    And I'll say the same about your genre, and you'll say the same about rap 15-20 years from now, and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Need an older option. 10 years ago still sucked. Run DMC, IceT, Wu-Tang Clan, 2pac, Beastie Boys, and Biggie Smalls. All better and more talented then what you have today. Eminem was the lone exception, though he's become tired and formulated now.
    We agree on some of these artists: Public Enemy, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Snoop (when he was the "Doggfather"). But, yes, these guys are so much better than anything to come 10 years ago, and anything that I'm familiar with right now.

Aww, man... I walked into this thread expecting these guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Run DMC, IceT, Wu-Tang Clan, 2pac, Beastie Boys, and Biggie Smalls
    to be the '10 years ago option' (forgetting, of course, what the current year is)

And here it's these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Eminem, OutKast, Nas, Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, and Common
    B-b-but... it seems like it was only yesterday that my younger cousins were blaring these guys at me, while I was throwing Run DMC and "How I Could Just Kill A Man" by Cypress Hill back at them as an example of the rap/hip-hop that was popular when I was their age.

How quickly ten years go by...

The peak of rap was probably 1989-1996. The genre died with Biggie and 2pac, though Eminem gave it a brief resurgence in the late 90s. In the early 2000s, the spat between Nas and Jay-Z gave us a brief glimpse into the classic years of rap, but...flatline since then. Corny jackasses talking about how big their dick is, how much money they got...lame.

Lil Wayne may be the worst mainstream rapper since Lil Jon. Atrocious. He sounds like a child rapping on cough syrup. Absolute shit.