Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New computer

Default New computer

Okay. I've come to the point in my life where I'm about to buy my first pre-built desktop machine. I've decided that I'm glad to pay someone to fix the computer hardware (e.g. RMA it) when it breaks rather than dealing with many vendors, warranty terms, etc. on my own.

Meh.

So. I'm looking to go back to Intel CPUs after my one AMD box. The CPU or motherboard stopped working--I'm not sure which because I've not taken the CPU off the board. My requirements are reasonable, I think:

1. Tool-less design;
    2. Good airflow and heat dissipation properties;
    3. Good overall design within the "guts" of the system;
    4. Reasonable warranty length;
    5. Best "bang for the buck"

I would hope to also have some options, below:

1. Ability to "un-bundle" operating system;
    2. Motherboard's ability to hold 4GB RAM;
    3. Heat-pipes (passive cooling) preferred over fans (active cooling)

I would enjoy going at this on my own with a Lian-Li case and the COOLEST-RUNNING components possible (that's a MUST), but I'd need to pick one or two vendors, as I don't want to RMA bits and pieces all over the country should anything happen.

I've got discs, RAM (which may be too old to migrate), and a rather good power supply to donate to this new machine. I _DO NOT_ want to migrate my case, as it's a POS. Indeed, I turned down an offer from the vendor to replace it with another one; it'd be the same issue all over again. This is the second of two of these cases that have had this same issue (killing motherboards).

EDIT: Looks like I'll be building my machine. *sigh*
    Last edited by h3g3l; 16-Oct-2009 at 14:13.

So, a non-OEM machine that you're going to build yourself? If this is the case -- this is going to be a fun thread .

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    So, a non-OEM machine that you're going to build yourself? If this is the case -- this is going to be a fun thread .
    Two possibilities here:

1. "Big box" type of system. Pre-built (my first desktop like that, if I go this way), preferably WITHOUT an OS but WITH a warranty. Advantage is that I can do one-stop RMAs without any dicking around (hopefully);
    2. "Home-built" system (again) using good parts from ONE vendor.

I'm eager to move away from the model of having multiple sources of hardware within one machine; I would be better served by going to ONE place for warranty work.

Whichever way I go, I'll cannibalize hard drives, DVD drives, RAM (if I can), and the power supply from my old desktop. So what I'm really looking for, I guess, is the most reliable and coolest-running Intel CPU and motherboard within a case that has great airflow and cooling.

Simple, right?

I would recommend with going with Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! then. That way you can always RMA through them, and if the warranty expires they'll go to the manufacturer.

Anyway, I'd go for a P45 motherboard from Gigabyte or ASUS, and an E7400 or maybe an E8300 for your CPU. What about GPU? Also, what kind of Power Supply is coming from your old computer? Can you give us the wattage and 12v voltages? They should be on the sticker somewhere on the unit itself.

For a case, I'd go for a Lian Li if you got a little money to spend. If not, I'd go for an Antec or Cooler Master.

I would recommend with going with Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! then. That way you can always RMA through them, and if the warranty expires they'll go to the manufacturer.

Anyway, I'd go for a P45 motherboard from Gigabyte or ASUS, and an E7400 or maybe an E8300 for your CPU. What about GPU? Also, what kind of Power Supply is coming from your old computer? Can you give us the wattage and 12v voltages? They should be on the sticker somewhere on the unit itself.

For a case, I'd go for a Lian Li if you got a little money to spend. If not, I'd go for an Antec or Cooler Master.
    Drat. Newegg is where 98% of my hardware/tech shopping gets done. Lian Li--with its emphasis on cool, quiet, and well-built cases--is where I was going to go if I were to build my own box again.

This is the Power Supply Unit.

Oh, and I'd also like this to be as Hackintosh-friendly as possible.

That's a kickass PSU for sure . If I can ask, what are the current specs of your machine right now? Curious :P.

Anyway -- yeah, Newegg is definitely THE place to go for parts. Hackintosh friendly? P45 and a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad -- GPUs are a different story.

That's a kickass PSU for sure . If I can ask, what are the current specs of your machine right now? Curious :P.
    "Doorstop." I'm irritated by it, in all honesty. Let's see...

Board: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core

RAM: Corsair XMS2 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

The box had Arctic Silver, Zalman, and Thermaltake sprinkled liberally throughout. The CPU always seemed to run too hot for my liking, even though I had a HUGE chunk of copper planted on the top of it. *sigh* Oh well.

oh my how I despise my 300W dell PSU. they're so hard to replace too! i may just scrap this machine entirely.

Here is what I've put together. I'm going to sleep on this until the weekend, think it over a few times, and then see where I stand.

1. Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 - Retail
    2. ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Retail
    4. LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    5. LIAN LI Lan cool PC-K12B Black Aluminum / SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Here is the system as a public wish-list.
    Last edited by h3g3l; 16-Oct-2009 at 14:12.

Hackintosh system eh? That rig you've listed would fit the bill fine for one, but like mm3 said GPU is the only problem. I was going to go hackintosh with my rig, but my GTX260 was the thing standing in my way, don't feel like hacking it together lol.