Thread: vid for jter32's poetry thread @ stories-in-progress

Default vid for jter32's poetry thread @ stories-in-progress

http://www.adisc.org/forum/stories-p...tml#post284108

The video for the above link is a cartoon, and has mature content: disturbing, suggestive
    It is a video for the M*A*S*H theme song, "Suicide Is Painless"

YouTube - JtHM- Suicide is Painless

Now just a moment - yes the vid is disturbing and suggestive; but it only makes visual what jter42's poem (and the MASH theme's) lyrics describe. We have heard the theme so many times it is a cliche; we forget what is going on in those lyrics... until a change in the music and a visual representation bring it all back into focus, and we remember how disturbing the song's meaning is.

What's more disturbing: what the song actually says, or the fact we stop noticing, and get used to it, until it is mere background, just a pleasant tune to hum?
    Last edited by Raccoon; 12-Oct-2009 at 08:10.

I am very aware of the meaning of the song as someone who once contemplated suicide in the year 1993, and I also had a friend of mine commit suicide in Arizona by driving his wheelchair in front of a semi. My friend committed suicide because he was drinking heavily and was also on a lot of anti-depressants.

The song is something people forget about over time. To me, suicide is NOT painless. It was a hard choice for me to make, and I damn near went through with it one weekend when my family was away at my sister's bible quiz meet. I still to this day have the letter I wrote in a safety deposit box.

Suicide is not painless. To me, it was not. I only considered it cause at that point in my life, my life was hell. I was in a school I hated, and around people I hated and a church I hated with all my heart and to this day still hate with a passion.

I am glad to this day I didn't follow through after hearing a voice tell me in a plain voice as I was getting ready to do it, "Don't do this... I have a plan for you." To this day, I still believe that God has a plan for me even though I don't know what it is. Now, I feel like I am on a good path in life and have made some of the best decisions of my life.

Suicide is NOT painless. No matter what the song says. I only hope that jter42 does not think about doing such a thing. A suicide is not worth it if you ask me.

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    I am very aware of the meaning of the song as someone who once contemplated suicide in the year 1993, and I also had a friend of mine commit suicide in Arizona by driving his wheelchair in front of a semi. My friend committed suicide because he was drinking heavily and was also on a lot of anti-depressants.

The song is something people forget about over time. To me, suicide is NOT painless. It was a hard choice for me to make, and I damn near went through with it one weekend when my family was away at my sister's bible quiz meet. I still to this day have the letter I wrote in a safety deposit box.

Suicide is not painless. To me, it was not. I only considered it cause at that point in my life, my life was hell. I was in a school I hated, and around people I hated and a church I hated with all my heart and to this day still hate with a passion.

I am glad to this day I didn't follow through after hearing a voice tell me in a plain voice as I was getting ready to do it, "Don't do this... I have a plan for you." To this day, I still believe that God has a plan for me even though I don't know what it is. Now, I feel like I am on a good path in life and have made some of the best decisions of my life.

Suicide is NOT painless. No matter what the song says. I only hope that jter42 does not think about doing such a thing. A suicide is not worth it if you ask me.

WildThing121675
    Honest, straightforward, and a strongly stated and good message. Its being heartfelt gave it weight.

I am impressed you have a safe-deposit box. They are expensive and often not available. And I am impressed you keep the note there: away from prying eyes, but available to you for whatever purpose it serves you.

No its not painless: it's a decision with far-reaching consequences to anyone who is affected by one's life: friends, lovers, parents, dependents, pastors, even enemies who are denied getting their own back at you.

And failed attempts only leave you worse off... crippled... locked up... watched... in the same circumstances that led to the attempt but even worse off than before...

I especially liked hearing that after getting past the dark patch, things got sunnier. There are many who need to hear more of these success stories (some whose name ends with "a vowel"): over and over, have it drilled into them to hang on, make it to 16, then 18, then 21... not to give up... no matter how bleak things seem, or how faint hope seems. I also had my dark periods, long since past...

I also like that despite a church you hated you found religion beneficial. I do not say that religion is right for everyone: but I like to hear that if one is religious it makes one happier... just as I prefer hearing one's atheism makes one happier. Happier is the main thing.

I just wish God would speak up more to those who need it; I have no objection if they hallucinate it or really hear it...

Sorry about your friend. I wish I could say more than that...

As to the song, I was a long-time fan of the show, which of course has an instrumental theme, and it was a shock when I saw the movie and heard the lyrics. I shouldn't assume everyone is jaded or ignorant of the lyrics...

Raccoon, I agree with your sentiments. As for the deposit-box, it was left to me when my grandpa died as well as some baseball cards that are valuable and irreplaceable.

I have never been fond of suicide and I have my feelings about it as you can tell in my post. Suicide is something that is wrong and I hope that people would learn that it is not the answer. I still don't know what my purpose here on this planet is but I feel that I will find out.

I have learned alot about myself, and it also helps that I was able to find more about myself in late '04- five years ago that I was Asperger's Syndrome. I had to post a reply, and Raccoon, I do agree with you.

WildThing121675